spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shoresonwow
@wideopenwest.com

shoresonwow

Anon

Slow speeds in St Clair Shores

Has anyone in the area been experiencing slow speeds? I'm on the 15/2 plan and I've noticed within the past month it's been terribly slow. Generally 2 Mbps down and 2.5 Mbps up. I've tried the WoW in network test as well. No packet loss and I'm using the Webstar modem.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your download speeds

First off can you please post your modem signal stats as well as the model of your modem? I know its Webstar but what is the model? Also please censor the MAC address of your modem before posting. To get to the modem signal stats page type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar on your web browser. You can then take a screen shot or just copy and paste the signal stats.

When you have noticed these download speed drops is it during prime time hours or during off peak hours? Do you have a wireless router and if so, are you connecting via a wired connection to the router or wireless?

shoresonwow
@wideopenwest.com

shoresonwow

Anon

Its the DPC2100R1. Currently this occurs at all times of the day.

My current signal levels are as follows. Downstream 0.1, upstream 39.8 and my SNR is 33.9.

I do have a wireless router but these speeds are there when just attached to the modem or thru the router.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

Your signal levels look good for a DOCSIS 2.0 modem but I highly suggest getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem even though DOCSIS 2.0 can handle those speeds just fine. The advantage that DOCSIS 3.0 brings is the ability to bond channels which can not only allow for speeds above 22Mbps download which most DOCSIS 2.0 modems max out at, but also it can help alleviate slow downs due to congestion.

I would try to get a hold of a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and try it out and see if your speeds don't improve. While you're at it I would have a technician come out and check your lines just to make sure there are no problems with your wiring or further up the line
B4Knight

B4Knight to shoresonwow

Anon

to shoresonwow
Correction: Your SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) may be too low. On the status page does it say anything about QAM? Most cable systems now usually are 256 QAM.

I would still get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but definitely have a tech come out and check your lines.

nololno
@wideopenwest.com

nololno

Anon

Dont go requesting a doc 3 modem. Just have a service tech come out and make that decision. Most likely if all the signals and meter test he does passes he will most likely swap your modem and make sure you are getting your speeds. Dont listen to b4knight because your not entitled to get a doc 3 modem unless your running 30/3 or 50/5. Not saying you wont get one buts its not guaranteed.

If you have your heart set on a doc 3 get your own from the store and save on rental.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight to shoresonwow

Anon

to shoresonwow
To Nololno: I never said he had to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but if one is available it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one, just to be a bit more future proof. I'm sorry if I came across as being offensive to you, I didn't intend to and I apologize. I'm only trying to help.

The technician will determine what you need. I'm sure WoW will at some point do upgrades and having a DOCSIS 3.0 modem would benefit you in the long run. You could either rent a modem from WoW or go to a store like Best Buy and buy your own. Motorola and Cisco modems seem to be what WoW rents out to people. The Motorola SB6121 is approved by them but that doesn't mean other modems won't work, just be aware that support for other modems that WoW hasn't tested might be limited. The Motorola SB6141 is another modem that is highly rated and raved about by people on other providers. If you do decide to get a new modem ask the tech or call WoW and find out what they currently recommend. You could also ask WOW_Dan here on the forums.

»/profi ··· /1788271

I hope your issue is resolved quickly and you can go back to enjoying the speeds you are paying for