toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to gapmn

to gapmn

Re: [Embarq] Bonded DSL - 76266 - 25M/2M

said by gapmn:

Yes routing issue. It's Netflix not wanting to pay Cogent, Level3 etc...but its not CL

Well it could be CL, as they are the ones paying for the connections to other companies. They don't want to pay more.

CL could choose if they so desired to join the Netflix Open connect, which would reduce their data usage between other networks, maybe as high as 50% in the evenings.

But they haven't. CL wants people to use PrismTv product, to the 3% (joke) of their service area that can get it.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

There was a link on one of these forums to a video interview that finally explained in layman terms this whole Netflix peering/open connect issue. interestingly enough, during the interview, one of the guests said CL had joined Netflix Open Connect (he said it twice).

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

I saw that video too, but that is the only place I've seen them mentioned.

Have you seen it mentioned anywhere else, or seen a list of the ISPs?
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

I have not. The following read is interesting though.

»Netflix Doesn't Think Verizon's Throttling Video Streams [53] comments

»Comcast Users Getting Fed Up With Poor Netflix Performance [73] comments

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to toby

to toby
Yep.. Dont say its not CL's fault. It absolutely is. MOST online streaming is Netflix and the ISP's are trying to cash in.. Forget Netflix says they will put in - AND MAINTAIN for free - CDN's...
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

Did you read those links. Why is it only Netflix then. In addition, Netflix says it will "out" any ISP they think is throttling ( and why wouldn't they, it's in there best interest) and let the public unrest determine the ISP's fate.

I am on the record: I have no online streaming issues with Netflix or any other online streaming company.

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

said by gapmn:

Did you read those links. Why is it only Netflix then. In addition, Netflix says it will "out" any ISP they think is throttling ( and why wouldn't they, it's in there best interest) and let the public unrest determine the ISP's fate.

Yes.. Yes I did: "A common current theory appears to be that while Verizon isn't throttling Netflix connections, they could be letting peering links with certain companies saturate to the benefit of negotiations, while giving their own CDN and services a leg up. Verizon isn't likely to want to incur regulatory wrath by openly violating network neutrality, though keep in mind historically their anti-competitive gatekeeper abuses have been subtle and buried under faux technical justifications. "

In effect - throttling.
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

How come Netflix isn't outing them then?

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

1 edit

Midniteoyl

Because its not technically 'throttling' in the 'Oh, Netflix stream! let's reduce its throughput!' That would cause a crapstorm.. So, instead, they limit the amount of connections and/or their priority. Same effect, but not against Net Neutrality (which is a joke anyways) Again, read please: "... Verizon isn't likely to want to incur regulatory wrath by openly violating network neutrality, though keep in mind historically their anti-competitive gatekeeper abuses have been subtle and buried under faux technical justifications..."

Its funny that I cannot get 'super HD', but my Mediacom buddy can using my Roku. Or, that Comcast allowed 'Super HD', then didnt, but now allow it again after blackmailing Netflix to pay more $..

Funny how I can D/L at 16-18mbps, but Netflix always says 'Playing at xxxmbps (low) on your 6mbps network (or lower..

Funny how Netflix on Android plays at a higher quality than on a Roku hooked to the same router..

Funny how Hulu on the Roku plays better than Netflix on the same Roku..
gapmn
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

Okay... But how come it's only Netflix and not Amazon etc... I am not buying it's because Netflix is bigger. To keep from being obvious, they would throttle them all.

"J.P. Morgan analyst Doug Anmuth (says) he has been talking to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells, and they told him they don’t think cable and telco companies are hampering the company’s video streams."

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

said by gapmn:

Okay... But how come it's only Netflix and not Amazon etc... I am not buying it's because Netflix is bigger. To keep from being obvious, they would throttle them all.

Netflix is the most popular video service using 31% of all traffic on the internet in the evening.

Amazon is tiny by comparison, less than 2% according to this article.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_ ··· traffic/

Ever wonder Youtube always buffers?

That is the number two.

The 'pipes' coming from Netflix aren't big enough.
Why you ask...
CL hasn't 'built' big enough 'pipes'.