Search similar:

uniqs
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

[Internet] is Rogers blocking Tango?

Hey folks,

my dad is using an app on his iPhone that allows him free mobile video calls called "Tango" (it's an app similar to Skype, Fongo, etc.) and the other day, my dad couldn't send or receive any Tango calls.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but the problem still persists. This was over WiFi. I also tried connecting over the 3G as well, but the problem is the same.

Has anyone used the Tango app and tried to connect over the Rogers network (home internet, etc.)?

Another problem for my network settings. I used OpenDNS servers and one server from Level3 on my Linksys E2500 router. By the way, my modem is a Cisco DPC3825 and it is running "bridge mode".

How can I fix the problem for the Tango service? Any suggestions?

Reference:
»www.tango.me

helpermonkey
@198.164.252.x

helpermonkey

Anon

ISP's block by DNS, usually. Before concluding its Rogers, try removing your custom DNS entries and see if that solves the problem. It could just be that.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to simon726

Premium Member

to simon726
While probably not the cause of your Tango problem, this has been discussed many times:
»www.wirehive.net/blog/2/ ··· -similar
»www.tummy.com/articles/f ··· -server/

Long/short it's not really a good idea to use anything except your ISP's DNS (unless you host your own).

By marketshare the two largest CDN's are Akamai and Amazon CloudFront. Neither use Anycast for routing but instead rely on traditional (and more controllable) GeoDNS. As a result, both will be sub-optimally routed if you're using OpenDNS or Level3.

There have certainly been many "helpful" articles over the last couple of years explaining to people why changing their DNS servers is a great thing to do but, for the most part, those articles are all wrong.

Rogers had some DNS problems some time back so a brief change during a DNS server outage may be called for - but basically only for emergencies.
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726

I have OpenDNS configured on my router along with a DNS address of this: 204.117.214.10

Perhaps these could be blocking the Tango service, no?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by simon726:

I have OpenDNS configured on my router along with a DNS address of this: 204.117.214.10

Perhaps these could be blocking the Tango service, no?

You're using a Sprint DNS? Why?

It's not likely they're blocking Tango, no. OpenDNS in particular would have no issue resolving any of Tango's servers. Doubtful DNS is your issue in this case.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Long/short it's not really a good idea to use anything except your ISP's DNS (unless you host your own).

What if your ISP has had several major DNS server disruptions without backup and can't seem to maintain reliable DNS? *cough*ROGERS*cough*......
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726 to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda See Profile
You're using a Sprint DNS? Why?

It's not likely they're blocking Tango, no. OpenDNS in particular would have no issue resolving any of Tango's servers. Doubtful DNS is your issue in this case.
[/bquote :

The reason that I had used Sprint DNS - is to test for the "reliability" on DNS name resolution or something like that.

I'm currently testing out the 4.2.2.2 DNS IP and i'll see if that will make a difference.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by SimplePanda:

What if your ISP has had several major DNS server disruptions without backup and can't seem to maintain reliable DNS? *cough*ROGERS*cough*......

Host your own. Small Linux machine or spare Mac (I have an old Mac Mini) can run named pretty easily. My home DNS service is a lot more reliable than Rogers.