how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY

1 recommendation

Had previously installed Fix It 51007 will KB2925418 overwrite it?

Last month I had installed the Microsoft Fix it 51007 to patch the vulnerable Internet Explorer 10, now that Microsoft has released a full patch (KB2925418) will it automatically override the Fix it I applied last month or do I need to uninstall the Fix It patch?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

2 recommendations

This has been an ongoing problem for some time with MS Fix It's.

In a nutshell - the KB will override the Fix It.

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY
Thanks.
Looks as if Microsoft has taken down their Fix It 51007 webpage and along with it the Fix It 51008 uninstaller.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2934088
I guess I couldn't uninstall it even if I wanted to or needed to.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
You're most welcome. MS has been know to remove Fix It's as you've cited.

Where you are at is of no consequence and should be perfectly fine.

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to captnhook
Just some further information on the topic at hand:

From »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/secu···ms14-012

If I applied the automated Microsoft Fix it solution for Internet Explorer in Microsoft Security Advisory 2934088, do I need to undo the workaround before applying this update?

Customers who implemented the Microsoft Fix it solution, "MSHTML Shim Workaround," in Microsoft Security Advisory 2934088, do not need to undo the Microsoft Fix it solution before applying this update.

However, since the workaround is no longer needed, customers may wish to undo the workaround after installing this update. See the vulnerability workarounds in this bulletin for more information on how to undo this workaround.

Workaround refers to a setting or configuration change that does not correct the underlying vulnerability but would help block known attack vectors before you apply the update. Microsoft has tested the following workarounds and states in the discussion whether a workaround reduces functionality:

##Apply the Microsoft Fix it solution, "MSHTML Shim Workaround", that prevents exploitation of CVE-2014-0322

See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2925418 [ »support.microsoft.com/kb/2925418 ] to use the automated Microsoft Fix it solution to enable or disable this workaround. Note that this workaround only blocks the attack vector for CVE-2014-0322.

Apparently there is a known issue with the "MSHTML shim workaround" Fix it. If the issue affects you, it may be worth consideration to apply the second Fix it - "Disable MSHTML shim workaround".

Microsoft Fix it 51007 & Microsoft Fix it 51008 are now on this page:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2925418

Known issues with this Fix it solution

• After you install this Fix it solution, you may experience increased memory usage when you use Internet Explorer to browse the web. This behavior occurs until you restart Internet Explorer.

Ralph 23456

@spcollege.edu

Re: Had previously installed Fix It 51007 will KB2925418 overwrite it?.. Yes and

This is about KB/Update KB2925418. IT IS NOT JUST A SECURITY UPDATE. And it will change things you may not want changed for example, no where does it tell exactly what it is, nor what it will do. NOT COOL. What it does amongst other things is disable Java, NOT COOL, that breaks IE and stops our Angel Learning environment from working, NOT COOL.

Worse and far more evil than that it put the USELESS crap ware, "Bing Suggested Sites" link back in the favorites bar, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY EVIL. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH SECURITY and DOSE NOT BELONG IN A SECURITY UPDATE. HOW EVIL. And how do I know it is evil, because just like a virus and the many browser hijackers etc out there it keeps coming back when I have intentionally removed it. ONLY EVIL things have to do that to stay on the desktop. Non evil things go away and STAY AWAY, when the are told to!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph