jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

4 recommendations

DVDFab U.S. Court Orders Seizure of "DVD Ripping" Software Domains and Funds

I was surprised when my licensed copy of the DVDFab Media Player could not reach the update server. I figured it was temporary, but today it still couldn't get to the update server and the DVDFab site was not available. A Google check revealed this informative new article.

I don't use DVDFab ripping software, but I do use their media player which is completely legal. From the above article I was able to get the update to the media player from an alternative foreign site.

Still this seems like over-reach to me. Trying to make DVDFab disappear from the internet because they provide software which is apparently illegal in the United States, but not in other countries.
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

quote:
Still this seems like over-reach to me. Trying to make DVDFab disappear from the internet because they provide software which is apparently illegal in the United States, but not in other countries.
Yes well the US thinks they own everything so this isnt a surprise.....

Im glad you found an update somewhere else!!

benwish
Premium
join:2001-01-06
Greensboro, NC

1 recommendation

reply to jmorlan

Re: DVDFab U.S. Court Orders Seizure of "DVD Ripping" Software Domains and Funds

Just updated from their new .cn site without a problem. Not your player, just the BluRay rippers. Livelong activation

B

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to Dude111

Re: ‏

Imagine if China tried to pull the same thing by shutting down the New York Times for publishing an "illegal" article about the Tiananmen Square massacre. Actually I guess they already do something like that by censoring illegal content within their own borders.
--

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to jmorlan

Re: DVDFab U.S. Court Orders Seizure of "DVD Ripping" Software Domains and Funds

Just got an email from them and the new official site is www.dvdfab.cn
--
GuruGuy

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to benwish
said by benwish:

Just updated from their new .cn site without a problem. Not your player, just the BluRay rippers. Livelong activation

B

i think ill operate my own DNS/activation server in the event this is permanently shut down.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA

i think ill operate my own DNS/activation server in the event this is permanently shut down.

I just added the following to my hosts file:

70.38.71.25 dvdfab.com

--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by jmorlan:

I just added the following to my hosts file:

70.38.71.25 dvdfab.com

right.
but if their activation server goes offline permanently, the software is broken.
if you capture and examine the response packets from their validation/activation server, you can create your own custom validation/activation server and use the same response format as their validation/activation server.
i prefer to use my own custom DNS server to "redirect" address queries for validation/activation to my own server versus using the HOSTS file.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: ‏

said by Dude111:

quote:
Yes well the US thinks they own everything so this isnt a surprise.....

Not just "thinks"; .com/.net/.org/.us are all owned by the US and can be shut down at will. Even if the TLD is not US-owned, if the registrar used has a presence in the US then it can also be shut down at will.

/M
Expand your moderator at work