spc
Search similar:

uniqs
getbent
join:2014-01-30
Raleigh, NC

getbent

Raleigh IPv6

DHCPv6 appears to work and I get assigned both NA and PD. However not seeing router advertisements (whether solicited or not).

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100

I have a pfSense box setup to learn and test on that gets a DHCP address and it was doing the same for awhile in Durham. Then there was not IPv6 for the last few weeks. I check last night and it was still not showing IPv6. Look just now it's still not showing an IPv6 Gateway.

I'm on a teleworker business class plan but I think they use the same DHCP server as residential. The last DCHP lease I got was a block they moved from Residential to business class but didn't change the PTR records. They still show res.rr.com even tough the routing is via BC service.

It doesn't seem to be ready yet. I think they are still testing or working on the roll out in this market.

richrockstar
join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to getbent

to getbent
Raleigh is about to get a lot of upgrades on the internet side, really fast.

F100
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100

danielholt, will they finally start bonding upstream as well? I saw this early on when I first got the 30x5 but then I haven't seen upstream bonded in a long time. I know it's not necessarily needed for speed but for consistency, latency, ect. it would be nice.

Also, do you know if it will be DHCP6?

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to richrockstar

Premium Member

to richrockstar
said by richrockstar:

Raleigh is about to get a lot of upgrades on the internet side, really fast.

Because of RST deploying 1gbs in the next 60 days right.

I E-mailed them last night to see if the address would get serviced. I haven't gotten anything back yet.

Do you have any details about pricing and who will getting hooked up. The only information I have seen for pricing is that it will cost $99 a month for 1Gbs fiber internet.

Thanks

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

Sure, RST is an immediately threat, but not a large one initially. From what I know, they will hit the Glenwood area, and maybe Avent Ferry in Cary. From there it will take a while to branch out farther and farther into Raleigh and surrounding areas. Other threats on the radar of course, Google Fiber, they are a shoe in... just waiting for the approval. Also NCNGN initiative which is working with Time Warner Cable and AT&T (gigapower).... There's a lot going on in town... things are going to start this year, but you'll see 2015 a year of bandwidth explosion in the triangle.

I was told awhile back that TWC were going to deploy 100mbps in March for the triangle, this was supposed to coincide with the channel consolidation that happened yesterday... i guess when the dust settles on that, we'll know more.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

said by richrockstar:

...the Glenwood area, and maybe Avent Ferry in Cary

a) Avent Ferry exists in Raleigh (none of it is in Cary) b) Glenwood (aka US 70) runs all the way across the county; which 38ft of it is going to be covered?

I've lived in NC all my life. I know many people across the state. Not a single one of them even knows RST exists. Even those in the company's headquarter city of Shelby.

Also NCNGN...

Not this again. NCNGN is the equiv of a homeless person standing at the end of an offramp begging for an ISP. Cities are red-taped from building their own network. Private f'ing interests don't need a consortium to start a company. (the existing, near-monopoly incumbents do a damn good job quelling those hopes.)

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to getbent

to getbent
Well theres an avent ferry rd in holly springs, and in Raleigh... assumed they were connected. My understanding is there will be parts of coverage of service in Cary, and parts down by NC state.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss
said by why60loss:

Because of RST deploying 1gbs in the next 60 days right.

TWC has slowly been making progress in our areas to get faster bandwidth. Not necessarily because of RST.
ke4pym

ke4pym to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

I've lived in NC all my life. I know many people across the state. Not a single one of them even knows RST exists. Even those in the company's headquarter city of Shelby.

Conversely, I know several dozen people who know about RST (many of them live in Shelby). I also know of 1 person who's using their consumer service.

Furthermore, they're providing commercial grade services to 2 of the newest, shinest data centers in Kings Mountain.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

I have been speaking to RST for about 7 months now in regards to getting FTTH in Wake Forest... they are a solid group of guys, and are using MCNC's network statewide. It is not a fly by night operation.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by richrockstar:

I have been speaking to RST for about 7 months now in regards to getting FTTH in Wake Forest... they are a solid group of guys, and are using MCNC's network statewide. It is not a fly by night operation.

Ditto. Apparently, the CTO and CEO are exTWC. And they have some significant financial backing. They've been laying fiber all over Shelby for about a year now. A good friend went out and watched them trench up his front yard when they came through.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to getbent

to getbent
anyone in raleigh able to subscribe to 100mbps yet? i am hearing some neighborhoods are turned up and ready.

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss

Premium Member

said by richrockstar:

anyone in raleigh able to subscribe to 100mbps yet? i am hearing some neighborhoods are turned up and ready.

I E-mailed them yesterday and haven't gotten anything back yet. It maybe because the address is to far from the main line.
nomx
join:2014-02-18
Raleigh, NC

nomx to richrockstar

to richrockstar
I'm still at ~56/5 in the Wakefield area.

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to richrockstar

Premium Member

to richrockstar
said by richrockstar:

I haven't been able to contact them yet. Though some one on there facebook page said they were able to get service. One other said that you can sign up for 1Gbs at $99 a month or 50mbs for $50 a month.

Have no idea whats true or not nor do I have any idea if or when I would be able to get service from them.

F100
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to getbent

to getbent
So I'm still wondering, does anyone know what wireless standard RST will use for their service? The short line of sight distances brings to mind something like AirFiber by Ubiquity. Can't imagine they will use unlicensed frequencies though. Do they have any licensed spectrum like what Clear Wire used?
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah

RST is doing residential wireless? Their website doesn't say anything about that. It talks FTTH technologies, they use an ONT to terminate fiber at your house. The only mention of residential wireless they have is that they recommend it in your house if you need access in rooms without jacks. Or they'll add a jack at install time for $49 each.

They apparently do fiber backhaul for cell towers, that is the only mention of wireless as a product category on their site.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar

»www.wakeforestfiber.com/ ··· 02-11ac/

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to getbent

Premium Member

to getbent
I have now been able to get more information, though it looks like the address is too far away from the main line, so it's likely I will be waiting more than 60 days.

The good news is that it sounds like you can do FTTH for 300 or wireless with no install fee. though the cost I was given for 50x50 is 59.95 not 50 but that's still less than what time warner cable wants for that speed download wise and well your not getting that kind of upload from them with out paying more than you care to know a month.

We may need to start putting up some RST signs so that more folks sign up on the web site. The word must be spread.

In truth they are going to have a hard time thanks to google saying they may enter.

So who signed up for 100x100? Because at lest for Raleigh they didn't say that was an internet tier, only 50x50 and 1gbs were the only 2 choices.

F100
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

1 recommendation

F100 to getbent

to getbent
So I guess TWC will wait until the last day in March to push out all these updates, if it is still in March at all. On my node in Southwest Durham I still haven't seen IPV6 return nor upstream channel bonding. If they keep it at 5mpbs up then they won't need upsteam bonding yet but still. Looks like RST is setup to support IPV6 out of the gate with "Carrier Grade" IPv6.

What's really the difference in "Carrier Grade" wireless vs consumer or business class WiFi? The setup would be Point to Multi-Point on the tower right? 5 GHz band is the main band for AC but would they be using that or one of the higher unlicensed band? Any WISP guy here care to comment on this setup in an urban area with a lot of other 5 GHz stuff using the same air space? Can the beam width be narrowed enough that other APs won't interfere?
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

1 recommendation

smcallah

Actually, if they are using the term "Carrier Grade" that sounds like they mean "Carrier Grade NAT", which is a term commonly associated with IPv6. "Carrier Grade" by itself would mean nothing. IPv6 is either IPv6 or it isn't.

TelecomEng
@cisco.com

TelecomEng

Anon

said by smcallah:

Actually, if they are using the term "Carrier Grade" that sounds like they mean "Carrier Grade NAT", which is a term commonly associated with IPv6.

When they use the term "carrier grade" in reference wireless, it means it is likely on licensed spectrum as opposed to unlicensed spectrum.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

1 recommendation

richrockstar to cramer

to cramer
said by cramer:

Not this again. NCNGN is the equiv of a homeless person standing at the end of an offramp begging for an ISP.

Good analogy, spot on.

F100
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

1 recommendation

F100 to getbent

to getbent
Right. The "Carrier Grade" was in reference wireless. They also said it would be Wireless AC (not 802.11ac specifically). So I thought all wireless AC was in the unlicensed bands. So does danielholt or anyone else know if RST's wireless implementation will be on licensed or unlicensed bands? Would think it would be hard to get anything close to 1Gbps or even 500mbps over unlicensed WiFI. Unless it was AirFiber or something using higher unlicensed bands like the 24GHz that AirFiber uses.

Also, in regards to IP addressing, I hope that since RST is business focused, that they would work with us tech savy residential users to get static IPv4 and IPv6 address without paying an arm and leg like TWC and Comcast do. With that kind of speed, it's worth it to have static so you can always get into your own LAN to get your stuff:music, videos, files, IP camera's, ect. With everything always connected, it just a matter of using DHCP because it's easier for setup. But for a fixed install, why not static if you want it.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to getbent

to getbent
There's been an update by RST Fiber's CEO "Dan Limerick" today at the very bottom of:

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss

Premium Member

said by richrockstar:

There's been an update by RST Fiber's CEO "Dan Limerick" today at the very bottom of:

I hope he gets them to update there web site so that customers wanting home internet can clearly see pricing so that they don't have to E-mail or call them to find out.

I realize that for Business things aren't that easy, but customers want to see pricing that is out in the open.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to getbent

Premium Member

to getbent
I emailed RST about this. They said they'd be doing both wireless and FTTH.

I do know of one person who has their service. 100/100. Don't know price or connection technology though. Waiting on feedback about that.

I hope RST delivers. But I'm not holding my breath.

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

I emailed RST about this. They said they'd be doing both wireless and FTTH.

I do know of one person who has their service. 100/100. Don't know price or connection technology though. Waiting on feedback about that.

I hope RST delivers. But I'm not holding my breath.

Are you sure it's 100/100 not 50/50. Because when I E-mailed them they told me there was only 50/50 or 1gbs:

"Thank you for your interest in RST!

We offer 1gig.... 99.95
50/50.... 59.95

Some areas will be FTTH wired, some wireless...

Have a nice day!"

Is what they sent to me when I asked what internet tiers home users could get.

I asked for more information and this is what I was got:

"1....There is a 300.00 installation fee for FTTH... None for wireless

2.... We have NO Contract, therefore no ETF

3... I don't have the areas to be developed first at this time...however, you can enter your info at the Request Service tab on our website ( name, address, email) .... You will receive an email when your area is active... FYI.... The areas w/ the most interest will be first served. So, spread the word!

Have a nice day!"

Is the person a business user or a home one?

If it's a home user then maybe he is getting more speed than what he is paying for or less in the case of 1gbs plan. Or maybe I was misinformed.

richrockstar
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to getbent

to getbent
We hosted RST in Wake Forest, NC on Monday, and Tuesday... Wake Forest is looking to be the first town in the Triangle with gigabit connectivity to the home...
»www.wakeforestfiber.com/?p=1055