All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Q_NetSpd
@129.9.72.x

Q_NetSpd

Anon

Does adding TV service to the Internet service affect the internet Spd? DAN?

I switched to WOW internet a couple months ago and have been very happy with it. Consistent Dn: 15M Up:2M. Because of the nice Price packages with Dig. TV I took interest and called a few times asking whether the TV would affect my internet speeds(sharing bandwidth). I was assured that they have no problems. In fact was told that they add a second line for the TV(never heard that before) so I wouldn't even be sharing the cable(?). After many calls signed up and had it installed last Fri. Yep, bandwidth went to ~1.5-5M Dn but Up still ~2M. Called and setup my 1st service call for this Fri. Not even a week! Anyway, replace my modem last night with a new SB6141 8 Ch bonded Dn/4 Ch bonded Up modem hoping to eliminate the issue. Started out great with ~>15M Dn and ~2.5 Up but it degraded as the night went on. ended about ~4-5M Dn & 2M Up through the evening and then before bed final test 15M Dn / 2.3M Up. I ask again to an expert, (WOW_DAN) should I see inconsistent speeds like this and does the TV service affect it? Typ. DN: S/N 33.7db and pwr -5.6 dbmv and UP: pwr 40.2dbmv. If this service call doesn't fix it, I will pull the TV since I still have my SAT.TV connected.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

No, they operate on different frequencies. In fact, the tv signals are there all the time anyway. You just need a digital box/cable card/digital tuner to unencrypt them.

Internet itself is shared bandwidth. It is shared with all your neighbors.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to Q_NetSpd

to Q_NetSpd
The internet only package has the basic cable channles active, just hook up a QAM tuner to get them. Local channels are in HD, but everything else is SD.
The customer rep is wrong when they say they are on seperate cables.

Q_NetSpd
@129.9.72.x

Q_NetSpd to goober22

Anon

to goober22
Actually thay had placed an internet only filter outside in the box. It was only passing the internet frequencies and blocking the TV which was fine. I know in theory they can pump more down the cable but in reality, do they really see full bandwidth? I just can't figure out why it has changed from a stable throughput to erratic and interestingly the down speed has changed but the upstream hasn't changed much. Puzzled!
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to uteck

to uteck
This is splitting hairs but the rep wasn't all wrong- the box and the modem do use separate cables. One to the modem one to the TV-box.

But TV never touches the internet.

Q_NetSpd
@wideopenwest.com

Q_NetSpd

Anon

Watching TV now and screen digitizes and drops from time to time. Hmmm
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5

said by Q_NetSpd :

Watching TV now and screen digitizes and drops from time to time. Hmmm

You could call technical support about that, its a sign of a signal problem. The TV signal is digital, but The TV signal does absolutely use totally seperate frequencies from internet so it does not affect internet speeds.

Q_NetSpd
@129.9.104.x

Q_NetSpd

Anon

Service person is coming tomorrow. If everything isn't working, he'll be leaving with all the cable equipment.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to Q_NetSpd

to Q_NetSpd
said by Q_NetSpd :

Typ. DN: S/N 33.7db and pwr -5.6 dbmv and UP: pwr 40.2dbmv. If this service call doesn't fix it, I will pull the TV since I still have my SAT.TV connected.

The only effect that having TV could be that the signal levels are now weaker as they are splitting the coax that comes into the property to feed your TV (which is normal).

Based on the signal level above -- Your SNR is very low.. I am guessing since you mentioned the tv showing "blocks" you have some form of signal issue on your property that WOW needs to resolve.

The TV and Internet do not share the bandwidth in the way you think - Your TV comes down "different" frequencies on the coax cable coming into your property than the internet.

Even if you didn't have TV with WOW the "tv signal" is still there even with internet only - You just can't decode it without WOW's authorized receivers hooked up to the coax.

You need a tech out to fix your low SNR issue.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to Q_NetSpd

Premium Member

to Q_NetSpd
They are correct. Your internet connection uses specific frequencies for only internet. The video signals use different frequencies, and do not interfere with the internet ones. Having video service has no effect on your internet.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to Q_NetSpd

to Q_NetSpd
I have TV and 15/2 broadband (how do you have 2 up? they don't offer that to new customers; it's only available as a grandfathered product to long-time customers). I get 15/2 pretty rock solid no matter what's going on with the TV.

You have signal issues, no doubt, and probably due to how the cable was split to give you TV. WOW will fix that.