Search similar:

uniqs
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver

Re: Magic Wire instead of Coax

4k video to the TV is viable with coax. 4k video bandwidth usage is not that high.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

But telling people that I have 4K video running over Coax is nowhere near as cool as telling them I have 4k video running in my house over fiber. I would not pay the extra to have fiber throughout my home but I am sure there are many who would.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by OwlSaver:

I would not pay the extra to have fiber throughout my home but I am sure there are many who would.

For these many, then, price must be no object.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver
I have fiber throughout my house when I built it (and it wasn't expensive). I only use it switch to switch tho and for long-distance HDMI.

The problem is the transceivers that convert optical to electrical ,terminators, and then you still need an IP infrastructure. They are very expensive. I got mine free, but would have cost thousands.

Coax or CAT are far superior solutions (cost, maint) wise for some time to come, and maybe wireless starts to supplement.

And in the case of in-prem one typically uses multi-mode (MMF) and what they are discussing is SMF (single mode) which is launched by the OLT or injected (video) which are DWDM on top of that.

So by no means think (today) the plan is to fan out optical from the ONT LAN network. This is the ONT WAN network only.

Apparently the yoyos at Fox don't understand what they are talking about.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to matcarl

to matcarl
Way I read it elsewhere it seemed Magic Wire designed for large apartment areas like NYC inside use. Free standing homes to still use coax or so it said. Who knows but looking like will know soon enough.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

tnsprin

Don't forget that there are currently small desktop Onts. Presumably a newer generation may be ready for use with magic wire.

See article posted on this site by Karl Bode »New FiOS Apartment Hardware Simply Adorable
"According to Verizon, the Alcatel-Lucent I-21 1M-K indoor ONT measures just 1-1/4 inches high, 8-1/2 inches wide and 5-1/2 inches deep. The Motorola ONT 1000 GTI indoor ONT is only slightly larger. Once you've moved past the fairly annoying fake-news PR involved in this video, the company offers a few glimpses of the new devices being installed. From our understanding, both units feature 2 POTS (plain old telephone service) ports, one Ethernet port, 1 MoCA port (coax networking) and 1 RF video port."
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Any ONT can work w/ magic wire. The confusion was arising on the LAN side where people thought one would be running fibre FROM the ONT TO STB. That is probably not the case, because you would need expensive media adapters. From the ONT to STB the options will still be coax and potentially wireless down the road.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

The video and discussion clearly talks about running it inside the house/apartment and regular rooms, not utility areas. In such cases the smaller desktop ONT's are probably the only ones desired.
said by elefante72:

Any ONT can work w/ magic wire. The confusion was arising on the LAN side where people thought one would be running fibre FROM the ONT TO STB. That is probably not the case, because you would need expensive media adapters. From the ONT to STB the options will still be coax and potentially wireless down the road.

McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to matcarl

to matcarl
So this stuff looks pretty useless, especially if I prefer the ONT on the side of my house.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member