Search similar:

uniqs
jeffnyc
join:2004-06-09
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

jeffnyc

[Connection] Using Pace DTA with Windows Media Center / DVR DC60Xu

I am posting this as informational for anyone that needs or wants it since I spent time searching and struggling.

Since Comcast encrypted basic channels I thought using my PC as a dvr was worthless unless I bought an expensive cable card HDHomerun Prime or Ceton. Comcast's DVR prices are high unless you get them waived or reduced via promo.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 that has an IR port on the card. I use a usb Windows remote but I connected the receiver/blaster cable. The emitter cable was collecting dust as I never used it. I used the Hauppauge remote for awhile but it gave issues so I just bought a WMC USB one for $15 on ebay.

I updated the Hauppague drivers. And I added a registry key using cmd line and rebooted:
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da /v EnableDebounce /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

(sorry forgot site where I found this reg mod so forgive me for not giving credit)

Not sure if either or both of the above did anything. But the other site said after updating WMC IR stuff, add the reg mod and reboot.

WMC recognized that I had a box and recongized the codes I transmitted in the automatic learning but not the manual learning. The emitter blasted lights but would still not change channel. Even though my pace box does not need enter, I chose that option.

I tried over and over but nothing, moving the emitter all around the dta to find the sensor. The trick was finding the exact spot on the Pace DC60Xu as I found no diagrams online that showed where the remote sensor was located. The spot is right to the left of the center green light. It work so I taped the emitter using black tape. After you proceed in the WMC menu, I selected fast for channel up/down speeds.

I now can record shows using my DTA which has as many channels as my regular box and WMC. The best part of it is that the DTA has no program guide, but when connected to WMC it does. A big downside however is that the picture is analog unless you have an hdmi input on your pc tuner which I think is rare. I think the DC60Xu only outputs digital through hdmi. However at same time I have hdmi out connected directly to tv.