All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
visionofwar
join:2014-02-11

visionofwar

[Internet] overloaded node

I've been having packet lose slowwwwww internet speed at peak time. I'm on 50/5. My download is from 2mbps to 7mbps at night. The uploaded is always fine. But 3 a.m till 5p.m. my speeds go up to 50mbps. I've been on the phone 20 times with Time Warner had 8 techs out. Finally tonight level 3 tech told me he was seeing an overloaded node. Said he was passing my information and what he had on to a supervisor and the engineer! Mind me it has been 3 months already. How long if they fix it will it take?
Steven94
join:2011-08-07
Jackson Heights, NY

Steven94

No one can give you an exact time table. I'm currently experiencing a similar issue but for me it has been about 5 months without any fix. I initially reported the issue in September 2013 and they acknowledged the issue around December 2013 where they escalated to engineering. Since then, I haven't heard back. It's even worse in my case since they increased Ultimate Internet to 100/5 in my area without fixing the utilization issue. The fix time will vary by area though. Sometimes the fix can be very simple i.e. upgrade the node. But other times it requires more effort be it running another fiber line and essentially "splitting" the node.
visionofwar
join:2014-02-11

visionofwar

Steven94n Is Time warner the only provider in your area? Wish i had choices but things are only going to get worse with the Comcast TWC deal.
Steven94
join:2011-08-07
Jackson Heights, NY

Steven94

For now all that's available is TWC, Verizon DSL and Wireless. I'm hoping Verizon FiOS is coming around to my area since they've been building out new conduits in my area. They still have about 3 or 4 months to complete rollout in NYC as per the franchise agreement. What I can suggest you do is file a complaint with your local franchising authority and the FCC. That usually will get them to do something about this issue. In my case I just ended up with a monthly credit on my bill. Your results may differ.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to visionofwar

Premium Member

to visionofwar
We had a problem here in rockaway park with a node that was overloaded but in a different way! lol

Basically someone from twc installed the wifi boxes on the overhead lines every 100 yards or so but they did not look at blueprints or specs and maybe because its close to the beach they wanted to put more than thre should be. Anyways the node ended up with 24 of these wifi boxes connected to it within 8 block radius... Now behold for 2 weeks we been losing all service almost every day and twc would come and notice power would go out, node would lose power, they thought it was a short.... but it wasnt eventually few days ago a whole crew finally figured out the problem.... there was way too many wifi boxes installed for a single node which was causing power overload and thus node would just shut down as the powersupply for the node just overloaded each time. So their quick fix for now was to drive around and unplug half of the wifi boxes.... yes lol. They said real fix will be for a crew to come and install additional power supply for the node to handle all the extra wifi boxes.