Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Slow speeds through router

Using any of PIA's servers in any configuration on my Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT, my 30/10 internet connection is limited to 10/10. By any configuration I mean setting my connection type to PPTP, L2TP, or using the OpenVPN client and connecting that way. The Internet speeds are perfect if I configure the VPN in Windows instead of the router.

Does anyone know if VPN processing is just limited by the router's hardware or is there something I'm missing?

The router's CPU load average peaks at around 75% when I'm maxing out the Internet with the VPN configured in the router.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
It's quite likely that you're hitting the limit of what that router can provide for VPN throughput. VPN adds a considerable amount of overhead. Just to give you an idea, check out this chart for small Watchguard firewalls: »www.watchguard.com/products/xtm-···pecs.asp The VPN throughput speed is WAY below the non-VPN throughput speed.

RizzleQ

Windsor, ON
Hmm, yeah, I figured that basic home router wasn't designed to handle VPN traffic so it makes sense that's the problem.

Does anyone recommend a good DD-WRT compatible router that is capable of handling VPN at speeds of 30 down/10 up?

HarryH3
Premium
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Take a look at the ASUS RT-N66U (or RT-N66R. Same router, but the R models are what you'll find in Retail stores like Best Buy) or the RT-AC66U. They're fast and have excellent performance and reliability ratings over on SmallNetBuilder.

There's also the RT-AC68U that is supposed to be really fast, but it uses a different processor so the only claim about 3rd-party firmware is that Shibby is close to having Tomato working on it.

RizzleQ

Windsor, ON
Awwwww yea! Just got myself an Asus RT-AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin and the OpenVPN client configured in there gets me a hair line below 30/10 now. Thank you for that suggestion!

HarryH3
Premium
Nice choice! Glad to hear that it's got your data moving again.

zeiterfiber

join:2012-05-27
Quebec, QC
I have the asus RT-N56U ...my home connection is 30/10. Will I be able to max it if I use PIA with OpenVPN?

RizzleQ

Windsor, ON
reply to RizzleQ
Typo correction: The new router I got was the Asus RT-AC68U, not RT-AC86U.

RizzleQ

Windsor, ON

1 edit
reply to zeiterfiber
I'm like to think that considering its hardware the RT-N56U should be able to handle such a speed using OpenVPN. However, its hardware doesn't differ that much compared to the RT-N16 and that didn't perform quite remarkably.

zeiterfiber

join:2012-05-27
Quebec, QC
I see...im still trying to figure out how to configure PIA with padavan firmware on this router...