All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Is FTTH home really over hyped? wondering because my are has a lot of FTTN?

I am wondering if FTTH home is over hyped for some areas? I know that my city has built out so much in the last 20 years that there is small pockets of open land but a lot is already built out as FTTN Uverse or TWC FTTN. I have really a hard time finding FTTH areas in my city but I am pretty sure one of them is at the very southern flank of the city limits of my city due to the fact that the homes were built in the last 3 to four years to now. I am wondering was UVerse running FTTH back in 2007 to 2008? I know I have heard rumblings of SBC running fiber to the home in some rural areas here in North Texas before the At&t merger but it was to new builds only in a very select few areas.

»www.google.com/maps?ll=3 ··· ,,2,8.63

hmm does that red pylon indicate fiber? I know a lot of the fiber pylons are white with an orange cap.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

Is their a way to tell if a neighborhood and subdivision is FTTP?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
Red = power, orange = communications (phone, tv, fiber, etc), yellow = gas, blue = water, etc.

FTTH is only over hyped in AT&T land. Everyone else seems to be actually using its capabilities and is not artificially limiting it like T is.

/M

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by mackey:

Red = power, orange = communications (phone, tv, fiber, etc), yellow = gas, blue = water, etc.

FTTH is only over hyped in AT&T land. Everyone else seems to be actually using its capabilities and is not artificially limiting it like T is.

/M

you would be surprised in older neighborhoods like mine there isn't any markers saying what is what lol! also we don't have any NIMBY restrictions as the easements are in the rear for telephone, power, and cable. water is at the street like in that photo. Heck my neighborhood is old enough to have cable tv pedestals that are metal and have lifting top parts that are secured by just a regular mini key lock and we also have older style telephone pedestals that are rectangular instead of the newer circular cylinder style ones. My neighborhood has no alley ways so the pedestals etc. are in someones backyard and they have to go into peoples back yards to do work. I love having to let At&t contractors into my back yard to work at their pedestal lol! now days it seems they have shifted to putting all of the telco, cable, electric in the front yards that way they don't have to worry about asking for access to the easement.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Craiger

Premium Member

to Craiger
said by Craiger:

Yes. There will be a Fiber Crossbox, not a Copper Crossbox (the two look similiar, but not identical).

Also, the peds for fiber look a little different than copper peds (again, similar, but not identical).

And all the "NIDs"/really ONTs on the houses are bigger than regular NIDs. ONTs actually have the same outer shell and size footprint as the 2Wire/Pace iNID.

There should also be the Fiber marking white fiberglass poles with the orange top, and between peds there will be some fiber handholes in the utility easement, where the F2 fiber cables from the Crossbox splice into the fiber feeds to the individual peds. A handhole, in a FTTP area, usually feeds ~2-4 peds

motorola870
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

Click for full size
FTTH area
said by ILpt4U:

said by Craiger:

Yes. There will be a Fiber Crossbox, not a Copper Crossbox (the two look similiar, but not identical).

Also, the peds for fiber look a little different than copper peds (again, similar, but not identical).

And all the "NIDs"/really ONTs on the houses are bigger than regular NIDs. ONTs actually have the same outer shell and size footprint as the 2Wire/Pace iNID.

There should also be the Fiber marking white fiberglass poles with the orange top, and between peds there will be some fiber handholes in the utility easement, where the F2 fiber cables from the Crossbox splice into the fiber feeds to the individual peds. A handhole, in a FTTP area, usually feeds ~2-4 peds

here is a map of the area that I am talking about the area is in within the black boxed area.

the area I market it pretty much one of the last available areas to build out to and At&t is doing FTTH in that area and in another area on the far north side of the city that is an upscale development that is also one of the last areas open to build on.

craiger here is a FTTH pedestal notice how the base widens out and is buried:
»www.google.com/maps?ll=3 ··· ,,2,7.73

here is an even better one:
»www.google.com/maps?ll=3 ··· ,1,13.42

this pedestal is POTS based and the next over on Wild River Drive in Arlington Texas is FTTH I wonder how At&t is going to address this area hmm? I can see the people with the houses that are copper based on Wild River Drive possibly complaining when Gigapower is rolled out if they have a need for speed
nitin00
join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA

nitin00 to motorola870

to motorola870
My house was built in 2006 and the whole community is FTTH. I also verified it with uv realtime. The area manager helped the new tech install service when he was here and he said his house was FTTH as well and they are all limited to 18MB internet even though its capable of handling alot higher speeds. He told me we should be getting higher speeds at the end of the year or early next year.