dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

I wonder if you can opt out of their Broadcast TV fee.

Just call Time Warner and tell them you don't want their broadcast TV and will get it on your own, over the air, for FREE! They should graciously remove the fee from your bill.

Keep dreaming!
digitlman
join:2009-12-29
Cary, NC

digitlman

I have internet only. If this shows up on my bill next month, I will call to complain and possibly cancel.

larc919
join:2005-01-12
Raleigh, NC

larc919 to 8744675

to 8744675
I'm already planning to drop TV and switch to an antenna before the rate increases kick in. As soon as there's a viable alternative to TWC for Internet (ie. service at least as good and costing no more than TWC's price), I'll be saying goodbye to them forever.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to digitlman

Premium Member

to digitlman
said by digitlman:

I have internet only. If this shows up on my bill next month, I will call to complain and possibly cancel.

It won't. I called and asked that same question last week.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to 8744675

to 8744675
My parents were paying $18 a month just for broadcast, and then another $2, so $20. TWENTY DOLLAR FOR BROADCAST, that is F***D UP. And then they implemented those stupid Cisco boxes (at $1 a month plus sucking up energy because nothing TW does is energy efficient) because they encrypt everything, so I talked to dish and for $35 a month they were up and running w/ a DVR. I also chopped the internet down and went to Earthlink (silly to still be TW) from $57 down to $35.

So all in with a little wiggle they now have internet, DVR, and connectivity to all TVs (Dish uses RF for their DVR) for the same price of just internet and broadcast.

And TW is out yet another cable subscriber.

Unfortunately where they live, TW is the only game in town. Not even DSL so I'm surprised they weren't charging them $200 for internet.

And I'm sure Comcast is going to come in and make things all better, like a warm blanket.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul

said by elefante72:

I also chopped the internet down and went to Earthlink (silly to still be TW) from $57 down to $35.

Earthlink - The scientology ISP.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675
Yeah, I have to wonder the same for Comcast's new broadcast fee. Setting that up, even with TiVos is so much of a PITA that it's just not worth it though.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
$20 for broadcast basic? ill take it! .. mediacom charges $27 a month for basic, + $2.57 "local broadcast surcharge" + $1.99 per HD box (they went all encrypted a few months back) so a total of $33.55 for about 20 channels of mostly religious b.s., or shopping channels.

even better? including the 3Mbps down 256k up "intro" internet and modem rental, it takes it to $68.84 ($70.83 after the one "free" year is up on one of the boxes) as soon as i can, im switching to SAT, sadly i can get "no" other broadband service here. and of course, mediacom charges a $15 "internet only" fee. (some folks in the mediacom forum swear they quit doing this, but its still on the price list. so until i see an official announcement from mediacom, i consider it to still be valid)