play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121

Rogers - Bait & Switch??

so i get an email from Rogers about a contest for 4 pairs of Leafs tickets ..

buried in the fine print is the following Terms you must accept to enter the Contest (see the part i've underlined):
"2. Program Eligibility.
a. General Eligibility Rules. To be eligible for the Program, you must have an active account for Eligible Service(s).
b. Non-Eligible Customers. Even if you have an active account for an Eligible Service, certain customers will not be eligible for the Program, including customers who participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other specified Rogers discount programs and customers who participate in discounted bulk services agreements. Non-eligible customers will be listed on the Rogers First Rewards Portal.
c. Better Choice Bundles™ Customers. You acknowledge that if you currently participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other specified discount program, and you are otherwise eligible for the Program, you may enroll in the Program. However, you acknowledge and agree that once you enroll in the Program you will no longer be eligible for any Rogers Better Choice Bundles discount or other applicable discount, and such discount will automatically be discontinued for all Rogers services and accounts under your name as of the start of your next billing cycle. Once you have stopped participating in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program, you will not be able to re-enroll in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program.

hmmm .. so if i enter their contest, i may lose my existing discounts .. lovely : (( ..

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Not bait and switch, but sure is poor customer relations. It may in fact violate other rules.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to g121

to g121
Not MAY lose. WILL LOSE. It's common knowledge and widely documented that enrollment in (Oops! EDIT) Rogers First Rewards program automatically precludes the customer from further receiving any previously agreed to or future package discounts.
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to g121

to g121
Hi OP, this is Chris from the Rogers social media team.

I don't know what the email was about exactly beyond the contest for Leafs tickets, but it seems clear to me that "the Program" referenced here is Rogers First Rewards program.

From what I gather, you're only eligible for this contest if you're a Rogers First Rewards program member. If you're not already you can choose to become one, but be advised that customers who sign up for the Rogers First Rewards program are not eligible for any Better Choice Bundle discounts.

Hope this helps, feel free to reach out on Twitter @Rogers_Chris anytime!

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

2 edits

humanfilth to g121

to g121
Wow. Thats a well orchestrated bit of FRAUD.

A contest and your account should have no relation, other than 'you must be a Rogers customer to compete'. And lets not discriminate by saying that "you have to be one of our certain oh so special Rogers customers to compete".

By the way, this summer, my kids is selling lemonade and the little disclaimer on the stand says that 'I get one of your kidneys'. If it doesn't match me, my dog will enjoy the meat.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to g121

Mod

to g121
Considering they put me in First Rewards without my agreement ... Load of crap!
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to Rogers_Chris

to Rogers_Chris
said by Rogers_Chris:

Hi OP, this is Chris from the Rogers social media team.

From what I gather, you're only eligible for this contest if you're a Rogers First Rewards program member. If you're not already you can choose to become one, but be advised that customers who sign up for the Rogers First Rewards program are not eligible for any Better Choice Bundle discounts.

This is nothing but an orchestrated scam from Rogers to get customers to opt out of the Better Choice Bundles discount and accept Rogers First Rewards instead - mere trinkets or the opportunity to win something instead of a regular monthly discount. Thanks Chris!
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

You can have that reversed.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

said by sbrook:

Can you clarify this? I would much rather go back to the old system where I was getting 5% discount per service for having Internet AND High-Speed. The new rewards system is just earning me points towards a bunch of things that I don't actually want.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by SimplePanda:

said by yyzlhr:

said by sbrook:

Can you clarify this? I would much rather go back to the old system where I was getting 5% discount per service for having Internet AND High-Speed. The new rewards system is just earning me points towards a bunch of things that I don't actually want.

The process is in place for customers who were signed up onto the program without consent. It's not really for those who've changed their minds.

You should just call and get a retention discount. Those discounts are larger then the bundle discount anyways.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
The Better Choice Bundles discount was actually reduced to 4% per service, but still one heck of a lot better than the crap they offer you on Rogers First Rewards!

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

The new rewards system is just earning me points towards a bunch of things that I don't actually want.

IMHO you only 'think' you don't actually want them.

Rogers repeatedly tells us they 'also review our offerings and make changes to our packages from time to time, in order to provide our customers with the best possible entertainment value and experience.

Now who can argue with that logic? After all, would Rogers EVER lie?
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

YES!

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto

g121

i've now unsubscribed to all Rogers Promos & Offers ..

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

3 recommendations

AppleGuy to Rogers_Chris

Premium Member

to Rogers_Chris
Hi Chris, don't you think this is a bit shady on Rogers part?

I'll be straight up, I'm on some serious discounts ($45 internet), it would appear that engaging in this contest would eliminate any discounts that I might receive. That's not a contest. I think stuff like this needs to be taken to the Ministry of Consumer Services (if you're in Ontario).

You need to talk to management and show them this thread. Someone there needs a slap upside the head. But I see that your new CEO is only concerned about increasing profits and not customer service. Very sad.

SolvietSteve
@bell.ca

SolvietSteve

Anon

This is where I say to people, don't waste your time signing up based on "promotional" pricing and promo offers like free leafs tickets. sign up with a cable company because of the "regular rate" after discounts expire.

I had a friend lets just call him Vlad, he signed up for rogers because they quote him an awesome price of $39.95 a month, he is now paying over 70 because all his discount expire and he is pist off he says he was lied to and has to call every month to beg for credits

now I saw the price as $59.95, that was the "monthly no term" price, so I signed up knowing that's what my bills will be, I did get a discount for 3 months, safed a few bucks, but im not looking to score discounts to get the cheapest price, that's not how cable works ,and in my humble opinion every time u make changes ur package gets changed and switched around sometimes u cant go back to an older package because of grandmother/grandfather claws.

-Solviet Steve

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Well, I worked hard and got my internet for $45/month, that's 30/3 and 300GB, price lock for 8 years. No modem fee. Cable is $35 with 'free' PVR for 3 years, $1 buyout of PVR.

For what it's worth, Bell is way worse and completely nonnegotiable.

What pisses me off, though, is at some point Rogers could offer me something, and, not reading the fine print could cost me my services.

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
I don't think you will lose any negotiated discounts only the better choice bundle ones if you have them. I just came back to Rogers in September so I was ineligible for the BCB discounts but I did receive some nice discounts for coming back. I opted in to the rewards program a few months later since it is better than nothing and was worried after about losing all of my discounts . . . I never did.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by kibosh:

I don't think you will lose any negotiated discounts only the better choice bundle ones if you have them.

said by Rogers Facebook :

It is very poor business practice to bury changes to customer fees in fine print on an unrelated promotion, such as the promotion emailed to me today offering a chance to win Leafs tickets. On the promotion page, customers must agree to join the First Rewards program, but only in the fine print is the following noted:

"c. Better Choice Bundles™ Customers. You acknowledge that if you currently participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other specified discount program, and you are otherwise eligible for the Program, you may enroll in the Program. However, you acknowledge and agree that once you enroll in the Program you will no longer be eligible for any Rogers Better Choice Bundles discount or other applicable discount, and such discount will automatically be discontinued for all Rogers services and accounts under your name as of the start of your next billing cycle. Once you have stopped participating in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program, you will not be able to re-enroll in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program."

Your customers are entitled to clear communication. What a shock it would be to find a change to your billing, simply because you'd agreed to a promotional program tied to a chance to win a desirable prize. Customers should not need to dig through the fine print in order to find out that agreeing to receive free points actually means that their monthly fees will be increasing.

yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to kibosh

to kibosh
said by kibosh:

I don't think you will lose any negotiated discounts only the better choice bundle ones if you have them. I just came back to Rogers in September so I was ineligible for the BCB discounts but I did receive some nice discounts for coming back. I opted in to the rewards program a few months later since it is better than nothing and was worried after about losing all of my discounts . . . I never did.

That's correct. Opting into the rogers first rewards program affects only the bundle discount.

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh to elitefx

to elitefx
You are absolutely correct, the communication is not clear at all . . . which is why I was worried before. I was only relaying my experience to ease anyone's fear over losing their negotiated discounts.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to g121

Mod

to g121
Let's fix that for you yyzlhr ...

"That's correct. Opting into the rogers first rewards program affects only the bundle discount this time. Rogers may choose to remove other discounts at other times as they've already done with other bundling discounts."
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by sbrook:

Let's fix that for you yyzlhr ...

"That's correct. Opting into the rogers first rewards program affects only the bundle discount this time. Rogers may choose to remove other discounts at other times as they've already done with other bundling discounts."

There are no other bundling discounts. If you want to put it that way, Rogers can remove discounts at anytime anyways for reasons completely unrelated to the rewards program.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor

Premium Member

I am curious what constitutes an "other specified discount program" or an "other applicable discount"?

Apparently whatever those "discounts" are, they will be discontinued if/when you enroll in the [Rogers First Rewards] "Program".

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to yyzlhr

Mod

to yyzlhr
There were ... VIP used to be a multiple services discount! It eventually became VIP because you spend more with us than basic cable!
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

From what I gather, Rewards, BCB (There is a new version coming, SHM customers can now build a 4 product BCB), they are all considered an ongoing discount.

It should be read "You can enroll in only ONE promotional discount product at a time".

For example, if you have a coupon for $1 off a $5 box of fruit loops, you can't combine it with another coupon for 50% off a box of fruit loops.

I would also assume the reps are mandated to warn you that by signing up for Rewards, you would lose your BCB discount. Just as a verification for legal purposes when you call in to make the switch, legally they should be making you well aware of the loss. No different than if your on a grandfathered plan, and want to change it, you are warned that you won't be able to go back.

It's sketchy but I see what they are doing, they went from one loyalty program to two and we just aren't used to the procedure of having two options to choose from so it looks peculiar to us.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by cepnot4me:

It's sketchy but I see what they are doing,......so it looks peculiar to us.

Once again, THIS is Rogers. REPUTABLE companies don't do 'Sketchy'. Reputable companies are honest and straightforward. They don't hide behind 'smoke and mirrors'.

People don't like deception and they hate being misled. Resorting to these kinds of tactics speaks volumes about Rogers. But then, it's common knowledge what Rogers is really all about.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
We don't know the full details here, but if Rogers is targeting BCB customers with this contest it is very sketchy. If it's targeted strictly to those who are already enrolled in the Rogers First Rewards program and/or customers who aren't in either the BCB or First Rewards program then I don't see a problem.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to elitefx

to elitefx
Are you kidding me? ALL big companies walk a fine line of sketchy. That IS what advertising does, smoke and mirrors, misdirection. Coca Cola offers zero health benefits. They don't say that straight up, they tell you it's refreshing. Apple doesn't bother to tell you the price tag is 50% hardware, 50% status symbol.
If you ask me this only looks peculiar to us, however perhaps this "rewards" program is better value than the BCB. Perhaps the incentive is there to switch because overall Rewards is a higher benefit to the average customers.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

Yes but it's ROGERS whose ass keeps getting nailed for scamming the public with their misleading advertising. Fined $500,000 last month for this tactic.

»business.financialpost.c ··· 2e9-dea1

Rogers can't help themselves. From front line CSRs to top management, all their policies and actions are one step away from what most would consider illegal. Rogers is out of control.