@videotron.ca

shrugs to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs

Re: The Mythical 4th National Carrier

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by shrugs :

said by LastDon:

This seems like price fixing and smells like it.

two links
1. Fido announces new plans,
- Lowers data and raises prices.

2. Koodo announces new plans
- Lowers data and raises prices.

That is not collusion or price fixing. Sheeez.

That's competition between two small indie companies trying to make a difference in Canada.

Market forces at work, and in action.

SMALL INDIE COMPANIES???
Have you been to Colorado recently and are still high?

Fido = Rogers
Koodo = Telus

No decision of either BRAND is made without co-ordination and approval from Rogers/Telus head office.

I umm, i was being sarcastic Maynard
Those poor little players need to be able to charge a bit more if they want to expand.

In other news on Videotron being the 4th National carrier:

“We took advantage of a great price, No. 1, and as you know, spectrum is a great asset to own. So we could sit on it or do something with it,” he said.

Mr. Dépatie did not spell out the conditions under which Vidéotron would expand outside Quebec. Industry observers believe Québecor will likely demand Ottawa give the Montreal-based company secure roaming rights on rivals’ networks and use of their towers at a fixed, low cost.

Videotron is holding the gov hostage till they do something for the new entrants. Something Wind, public and mobilicity should also have done.

What Videotron is saying is (as I see it), if they don't get what it want they'll just sit on the spectrum, not use it for 10 years, then sell it.

Good for them. Changes need to be made to give new entrants a fair shake to compete with the big 3.

See, »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 7475427/

Whatever bully game Videotron is now using to strong arm the gov, it will play equally as favourable for the likes of Wind. Or at least, it should.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by shrugs :

I umm, i was being sarcastic Maynard
Those poor little players need to be able to charge a bit more if they want to expand.

In other news on Videotron being the 4th National carrier:

“We took advantage of a great price, No. 1, and as you know, spectrum is a great asset to own. So we could sit on it or do something with it,” he said.

Mr. Dépatie did not spell out the conditions under which Vidéotron would expand outside Quebec. Industry observers believe Québecor will likely demand Ottawa give the Montreal-based company secure roaming rights on rivals’ networks and use of their towers at a fixed, low cost.

Videotron is holding the gov hostage till they do something for the new entrants. Something Wind, public and mobilicity should also have done.

What Videotron is saying is (as I see it), if they don't get what it want they'll just sit on the spectrum, not use it for 10 years, then sell it.

Good for them. Changes need to be made to give new entrants a fair shake to compete with the big 3.

See, »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 7475427/

Whatever bully game Videotron is now using to strong arm the gov, it will play equally as favourable for the likes of Wind. Or at least, it should.

I think there's a number of things here (in no particular order):

a) "So we could sit on it or do something with it,” he said.
To me that's an invitation for IC to retroactively change the rules to read, "If you don't actively use the full amount of spectrum you bought in at least 60% of the markets purchased within 5 years, the spectrum reverts to the Crown - without compensation." However, IIRC, I think something like this already exists and was in-place for the AWS auction. Mebee IC should clawback Videotron's AWS spectrum and lease it to Wind so they can move to LTE, as a 4th carrier in a market that doesn't have LTE really isn't a carrier these days.

b) If QC votes PQ, my bet is that the Feds drag their heels on all things telecom, pending any Neverendum.

c) Feds offer Vimpelcom a deal...like they did Chrysler, GM. Low-cost 10-year convertible debt, which if converted makes the GoC the majority owner of Wind Canada (hence 'Canadian' enough) and the money is used to buy Mobi. The feds do this under the guise of 'market failure' and a desire to fix the failure.

As a result, Wind picks up 200k customers and spectrum to move to LTE. Then the Feds can move on tower sharing/roaming/backhaul issues and Wind can expand nationally faster than Videotron. Heck, if they do the convertible debt deal with enough money in the deal (say $600MM total), then they can approve the Allstream deal without Sawaris's involvement, which would solve a LOT of Wind's backhaul issues, and provide an additional profitable revenue stream. The total cost of buying both Mobi and Allstream is in the $600MM range. The only flaw in this is lack of 700MHz spectrum - Wind would be locked into a higher-cost to deploy 2100MHz infrastructure for given coverage area.

d) Or Wind expands via a 'Kickstarter' mechanism. Wind announces intended coverage areas and invites people to pre-subscribe for say a killer 6/12/24-month regional launch deal (maybe all-you-can eat + Nexus 5/Blackberry Q10 or whatever the equivalent is on launch day). If they reach their target subscriber count ( x the 6/12/24 months up-front revenue commitment) then Wind builds-out in that region using the pre-committed funding. If Wind is smart, they get the money held in-trust so if Wind doesn't reach the subscriber target or something happens to Wind in the interim, the people get their money back. This allows people to NOT lock-in to ROBELLUS renewals, knowing that Wind is probably coming to their town soon enough. It helps negate the effect of contract 'lock-in'.

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs

Anon

said by MaynardKrebs:

I think there's a number of things here (in no particular order):

a) "So we could sit on it or do something with it,” he said.
To me that's an invitation for IC to retroactively change the rules to read, "If you don't actively use the full amount of spectrum you bought in at least 60% of the markets purchased within 5 years, the spectrum reverts to the Crown - without compensation." However, IIRC, I think something like this already exists and was in-place for the AWS auction. Mebee IC should clawback Videotron's AWS spectrum and lease it to Wind so they can move to LTE, as a 4th carrier in a market that doesn't have LTE really isn't a carrier these days.

And they would have to show they aren't singling out just videotron. Don't forget, industry Canada has been letting the big 3 sit on spectrum w/o using for how long now?

I.C. has already made this idle threat but has never done anything about it and let's Bell et al. just hoard it w/o using it.
said by MaynardKrebs:

b) If QC votes PQ, my bet is that the Feds drag their heels on all things telecom, pending any Neverendum.

I see more coming out of this than just that. The issue isn't the PQ. The issue is a potential neverendingendum that would come out of it down the road. Anything that I.C. does (or doesn't do) would be fuel. Ball is in the feds court so to speak.
said by MaynardKrebs:

c) Feds offer Vimpelcom a deal...like they did Chrysler, GM. Low-cost 10-year convertible debt, which if converted makes the GoC the majority owner of Wind Canada (hence 'Canadian' enough) and the money is used to buy Mobi. The feds do this under the guise of 'market failure' and a desire to fix the failure.

Vimple is foreign. They are already pissed they can't even sell their Canadian assets. They didn't even bother to bid on any spectrum and gave the gov the finger. Do you think they want to get screwed over into buying more w/o foreign rules being changed? And maybe it's just too late as well? They already stated they want nothing more to invest in in Canada. Maybe as soon as rules change they will sell off and give the gov the finger again. There is that possibility. Gov would really have to sweeten the deal for them.
said by MaynardKrebs:

d) Or Wind expands via a 'Kickstarter' mechanism.

lol One can dream

Videotron is demanding nothing crazy. Just demanding what everyone should have had years ago. Nothing more.
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass to shrugs

Premium Member

to shrugs
Click for full size
said by shrugs :

G&M reporting...now with 50% more industry influence™

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs

Anon

LOL
Nice catch!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Mr Krebs, brilliant idea, but of course that's way to smart for our government to figure out.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

said by shrugs :

G&M reporting...now with 50% more industry influence™

Ici - le 'smoking gun'.

I hope you start another CRTC process to investigate the 'undue influence' that vertical integration now creates.

Gimme an F
Gimme a U
Gimme an N
Gimme a C
Gimme a T
Gimme an I
Gimme an O
Gimme an N
Gimme an A
Gimme an L

Gimme an S
Gimme an E
Gimme a P
Gimme an A
Gimme an R
Gimme an A
Gimme a T
Gimme an I
Gimme an O
Gimme an N

What's that spell?
FUNCTIONAL SEPARATION

I can't hear you CRTC!!! What's that spell?
FUNCTIONAL SEPARATION

J-P Blais ...... see US v. Paramount for a roadmap on how to proceed. Looking forward to the hearings.

* sorry for fudging grammar rules ... it's just the way most people would mangle 'a' and 'an'