All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
voidpointer
join:2009-09-07

2 edits

voidpointer

(Frisco, TX) FIOS above 50/25 not available?

I'm looking at buying a house but at this specific address, internet speeds above 50 down 25 up are not available. I contacted FIOS support but they aren't able to explain why. FIOS infrastructure should be more than capable of handling at *least* 75/35. House address is:

Sonoma Valley Drive
Frisco, TX 75035

Anyone know why higher speeds aren't available? Thanks in advance.

[mod note - Street address obscurred for privacy. sashwa See Profile]

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Re: FIOS above 50/25 not available?

Well i was going to ask if this was a condo or apartment building. Then I checked google maps. not.
Can't explain why.
pappy97
join:2007-03-12
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to voidpointer

to voidpointer
Hopefully McBane chimes in. He knows a ton about FIOS in North Texas. He was the first in Murphy, TX to get 150/65 I believe. (On a side note, him and one other person in Wylie are the only people I know in the Murphy/Wylie area who have 150/65 internet).
nj fios tec
join:2010-01-18
Morristown, NJ

nj fios tec to voidpointer

to voidpointer

Re: (Frisco, TX) FIOS above 50/25 not available?

Central office most likely not upgraded from bpon to gpon. And if the onts they use out of your central office are Motorola 1000M they don't get above 50 down 25 up.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to voidpointer

to voidpointer
I'm still on BPON here in north central Plano to the best of my knowledge, thus my speed offerings online are limited.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to voidpointer

to voidpointer
Your best bet is to order a 150+ speed. You may run into issues ordering it, or they may just put your order through. Back when I ordered it, they were actively refusing to upgrade residential customers, but maybe that has changed now. It also probably helped I had business and I was talking to business account reps. I did have to cycle through 5 or 6 reps until I got one that was hungry enough for a sale to force the order through, which spawned all kinds of backend work to upgrade my neighborhood and area to GPON. Since I was the first in the area it took them about 3 months to get all the equipment installed like the GPON switches for my neighborhood and the OLT for the central office and get the GPON ONT up and online at my house.

You can try the same tactic on residential. Just keep calling and asking sales reps to upgrade you to a 150+ speed, let the order go through and let them upgrade you to GPON, then downgrade back to 75/35 or whatever soon as you get your GPON ONT. I think Verizon is trying to upgrade all the BPONs now anyway so this might be a little easier to accomplish on residential.
voidpointer
join:2009-09-07

voidpointer

Hi McBane, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming a forced upgrade will take a long time as you say, so before I do that, should I just order the 50/25, and after its installed, then try to get them to force an order for upgrade to 150?
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah, you may as well establish service so you're not stuck waiting on them to upgrade.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to voidpointer

to voidpointer
FWIW, I've had 75/35 in 2 different locations that are both on BPON COs, and both allowed me to order online.

From what I was told by the last installer I dealt with (who was around when it was still GTE, and seemed to really know what was going on), Verizon only plans to do upgrades in wealthier areas. I get the impression that if the average home price in your area isn't somewhere north of half a mil (or even worse, there are apartment complexes served out of that CO), then you can probably forget about it. From the looks of it, that part of Frisco is pretty solidly middle class, so I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

I just checked my potential speed upgrades (from 15/5) and the max is 75/35 for my suspected BPON CO here in north central Plano.

Plano FIOS
@verizon.net

Plano FIOS

Anon

Southwest Plano here. I have 50/25, but I'm able to order to up 300/65, so we're probably on GPON.
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

Alphasite to Teasip

to Teasip
It's just 75/35 max for my area in Plano as well. I have a business line (and residential, too, but I don't really use it for anything except testing firewall changes on my business line).
cyberdome
join:2014-03-02

1 edit

cyberdome to voidpointer

to voidpointer
Does G splitter means that it is on a GPON technology? that is what the FIOS tech told me that I am on a G splitter technology and I and my neighbor are the only ones in the whole neighborhood. I can get upto 300, I see it on the online ordering system.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

If you can see speeds above 75/35, then it is GPON.