Search similar:

uniqs

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

Outlook and IMAP he11

Is there any way to request/force/trick/whatever gmail to download (again) the entire account into a new IMAP datafile following a reinstall of outlook? Please!

Oh G_d, why Oh why is it so hard to make Outlook work right?
This makes my head hurt. Ouch!
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

taoman

Premium Member

What version are you running? You should be able to delete the pst file for that profile which would force a recreation. You may also have to delete the profile itself and start from scratch.
PST file should be in:
username folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Yeah. That's where I'm at now. Exactly.

A new *.pst and it was created in username folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Now I'd like to repopulate that local *.pst from storeage at the remote server.

Seems quite reasonable and should be easy. Then all will be done and happy, yes.

• So how does one (re)-download the messages please?
taoman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

taoman

Premium Member

said by Ugly:

Now I'd like to repopulate that local *.pst from storeage at the remote server.

Not sure what you mean by "storeage at the remote server." Is the remote server an IMAP server? If so, just connect to it with Outlook and you should be good to go. If you have an old PST file from a previous installation that you want to use you would need to import it.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

I'd like all of the old messages to download into this file, yes. How please?

So far, I am not good to go. New messages arrive, but the old ones do not.
taoman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

taoman to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
Not real good at answering questions, are ya? Still need to know the version of Outlook you are running. This is a known problem with Outlook 2013.

When you go to your "remote server" in your browser do you see all your emails that you are not seeing in Outlook?

Try this:
Folder>IMAP folders>Uncheck box for "When Displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders" and apply it. Then close Outlook and reopen it. This sometimes fixes the problem you are experiencing.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

1 edit

Ugly

Click for full size
a screen grab
I am sorry. I apologize. Flightless waterfowl have very poor vision

Outlook 2010. Yes, the emails and original folders are still there in Gmail.com as a webpage. Yessir!

The Uncheck box fix was just applied and Outlook closed. Still no folders or emails.

It is quite frustrating!

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

It sounds as if you have set up your GMail as a Pop account not an IMAP account. You will have to delete the account and recreate it making sure you select IMAP as the type. That will generate a new PST for Outlook 2010.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Click for full size
IMAP
IMAP

A good idea. I am glad this was not the problem yet sad too, because that would have been an easy fix.
taoman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

taoman to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
Click for full size
Give this a try. Ignore the port numbers listed. Just add the Root folder to your Gmail account settings. This will force an IMAP cache rebuild.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

That was a great suggestion. Thank you.
However, still no folders or messages. [sad bird]
Ugly

Ugly

Taoman! That got it! Thank you
taoman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

taoman

Premium Member

said by Ugly:

Taoman! That got it! Thank you

Expect a bill in the mail.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

NP. I've got lots of oily fish and more coming every day.
Ugly

Ugly

0x8004010F
It was too good to be true.

• Now one cannot send any messages from this account. The IMAP account.

It gives the infamous 0x8004010F error. Now what please?

This is agony!

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
said by Ugly:

Yeah. That's where I'm at now. Exactly.

A new *.pst and it was created in username folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Now I'd like to repopulate that local *.pst from storage at the remote server.

Keep Outlook shut down.
Delete the new .pst file created.
Replace it with the old .pst file from your back up.
Everything should work just fine.
Note: Some would prefer the import function internal to Outlook and it is possibly safer doing this, it isn't the only option.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

1 edit

Ugly

That file is no longer available. Now what?

It is not unreasonable to think that a user installs the account on a new puter.

This really should work easily.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

I don't understand the problem with either deleting the account or creating an entirely new profile. The PST file that Outlook creates during an IMAP connection should be considered expendable and easily replaced. You can recreate it at any time. If you have ever dealt with GMail/IMAP and Outlook 2013 you would get used to this fact. Outlook 2013 actually uses an OST file for IMAP transfers which has always been a temporary file for Exchange. Even worse, until recently Outlook would have a knack for destroying the file with no hope of repair. No big deal, just an inconvenience. In Outlook 2010 a PST file is used but it contains nothing of importance that can't be easily downloaded again in the case of IMAP.

I'd suggest you start clean with a completely new profile and forget about any of you old data files except when it comes to contacts and calendars. You can export those from the old profile, should they exist. You will download the entire contents (headers only) of your GMail store. You can set it to download everything but that takes a long time and in most cases isn't worth it. The cool thing about creating a new profile is you can always go back to the old one, should you forget something.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Yes, this is Outlook 2010. You are right

A new profile?

There are several email addresses or accounts. What happens under a new profile?

My profile is the default "Outlook."

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Are all the email accounts IMAP or are some POP? If some are POP I would just delete the GMail account and recreate it. A new PST will be created when you do that.
taoman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

taoman to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
I would listen to Kramer. You need to start over. Blow away the account/profile and start from scratch.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly to Kramer

to Kramer
Account list:

1. FirstName.LastName@earthlink.net
2. Ugly@dslr.net
3. FakeFirstName.FakeLastName@earthlink.net
4. FakeFirstName2.FakeLastName2@earthlink.net
5. RealName@att.net
6. FakeFirstName3.FakeLastName3@earthlink.net
7. FakeFirstName4.FakeLastName4@earthlink.net
8. MYCompanyName@Gmail.com
9. RealName@Gmail.com [this is problem account; rest are fine]

Will this just make things worse?
Can the IMAP Gmail account be converted to a POP account perhaps?

I am willing to try a new profile, but want to understand 1st how much effort this will involve, please? Thanks!

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

It is more work then to create a new profile because you will have to setup each of the POP accounts and then import or copy your old mail into those accounts. I would start with the simple. Delete the Gmail account in Accounts and Settings. Re-create the account and let the mail flow to the PST it picks, don't try to use an existing PST. Just go with the flow.

I would not setup a GMail account as a POP account. While it can be done, one small mistake or big glitch and you have emptied your GMail account to your computer completely defeating the beauty of keeping all your mail stored on free reliable storage.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Will do. Delete account and recreate. Agree. Thanks.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Just don't delete the old PST in case something goes wrong.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Yes, only misbehaving (one) account. Keep *.pst. Agree.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
said by Ugly:

That file is no longer available. Now what?

I thought you were using a backup of the .pst file.

If you mean just to download the email off the server again, I'd stick to Kramer See Profile suggestions. Clean profile and start again.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
The Meadow

Ugly

Well, Kramer said
said by Kramer:

Re-create the account and let the mail flow to the PST it picks, don't try to use an existing PST. Just go with the flow.

While you say
said by norwegian:

Clean profile and start again.

• Flightless waterfowl are easily confused by conflicting recommendations.
Ugly

Ugly to norwegian

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

If you mean just to download the email off the server again, ...

Yes, I think I do ...

This is a modest goal and would suit me just fine, so long as the functionality of SENDING messages is/will be restored please.

I do not really have to have them here, since they also live on the server forever.

It's Google you know! Thanks!

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Ugly

Mod

to Ugly
I'll let norwegian See Profile speak for himself, but I originally suggested the profile recreation thinking GMail was your only account. Having a number of other POP accounts just complicates rebuilding.

FYI, with my GMail account I must have 5 or more other accounts going into it. Instead of having all those POP accounts being stored locally, when you get everything working properly, why not have GMAIL as your single place to go get all your mail. There are 2 ways of accomplishing this. One is to pull your external accounts into GMail and the other is to push it into GMail. Pulling the mail simply involves setting up the account in GMail and on a regular basis GMail will poll the account for new mail. Usually this is ten minutes or less, but your mail can be delayed by up to an hour this way (for the external accounts). Pushing involves setting up your POP accounts to forward their mail to GMail. The problem with this is you usually end up leaving the mail on the server and have to find a way to clean it off occasionally. No need to get into the details, but if you would like help with this, let me know.