Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly

Re: Outlook and IMAP he11

Now I've had a little time to read up.
In taoman54's reply here it mentions in the image for gmail in outlook 2010, point 7, that you may need to set Sent Items and Deleted Items folder for IMAP again?

Has this been checked to see if the rules are applied?

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

If you are using GMail's Outgoing server as Ugly See Profile is doing, there is no real need to set a folder. GMail will store the outgoing mail in its own sent items folder. In fact unless you want a duplicate of every sent item it is best to to tell Outlook not to save the sent mail.

That is a major annoyance for me with Outlook 2013. If you are setting up a GMail account no matter what Outgoing server you use and whether you tell Outlook to save sent items, it will take the check off the option thinking you really didn't mean that. You don't notice it hasn't saved any sent mail until it is too late and go back and check the setting to find out Outlook has changed the option without your knowledge. This would only make sense if you were using the GMail Outgoing server. In any event they shouldn't change an option without telling you they are doing so. They also did away with the ability to specify Sent and Deleted items locations although you may be able to map that with your IMAP account.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

said by Kramer:

Outlook has changed the option without your knowledge.

and
said by Kramer:

They also did away with the ability to specify Sent and Deleted items locations

I have to say Thank you! to all the kind folks here.

While this is somewhat under control now, it is a sub-optimal result was much, much harder than anyone would have reasonably imagined.

Why does Microsoft always suck so badly?

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

IMAP is a quirky and ancient mail protocol with lots of variations. It is hard to do perfectly from what I hear, but Outlook 2010 is about as good as it gets. Outlook 2013 is the first time in a while Microsoft really tried hard to improve IMAP support. It was a pretty big failure at first, but they have updated it to make it usable. If they keep fixing the broken stuff, it could be the best IMAP client you can find.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Ugly

Premium Member

to Ugly
I've been using Outlook 2013 with several IMAP accounts for 6 months now and it has worked fine for me, maybe I'm just lucky.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

I think you have been just slightly lucky. I have more than a dozen computers using 2013 with IMAP and most don't experience problems although occasionally some do. Here is a Google thread for the people that do have problems. »productforums.google.com ··· false%5D

Here's a PC World blog post »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· 013.html

The solution above only seemed to work for a little while with one person I had the problem with.

Just the other day I couldn't get one person to display the GMail "all mail" folder which is required if you want to archive from Outlook. There is a classic solution for that, but in this case there was nothing I could do to make it work.