how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boooost

@optonline.net
reply to Hawk

Re: [Plumbing] Detonating Toilets

Why is there a "visitor" sticker on the toilet seat?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Looks like a standard "visitor" name tag that someone would use in a secure area. I am issued those when I go onto the roof or into the mechanical areas of many commercial buildings, so that regular employees know I am supposed to be there.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Hawk
said by Hawk:

If the manufactures engineered resolve to this issue is a "repair kit" with metal straps and PR valve to basically contain the composite pressure vessel from a rapid expansion blowing out the virtuous china outer tank, wouldn't the potential rupture still exist to some extent?

Possibly. I don't know the details of how the repair straps are supposed to be installed, but I'd *ass*ume that, if they were installed properly, they'd carry most of the stress from the pressure tank. That would reduce the stress carried by the tank itself, greatly reducing a chance for rupture.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I wouldn't trust any repair kit from a recall, I'd demand a complete replacement product.

Back in the 1980's, my aunt's car was recalled because it could slip out of gear and the most the automaker was required to do was issue warning stickers for the dashboard that warned the driver it could slip out of gear. They weren't required to physically fix the issue.

We had one of those "As Seen on TV" Handy Switches so grandma could control her lamp from the bed, and that was recalled because of a fire hazard. The fix was a cover that went over the electrical part of the unit that I wouldn't trust at all. I took it out of service and didn't bother with the fix, that thing was written off and went on the curb on trash day. These so-called "recall fixes" aren't fixes, they are just to placate regulators and the public into thinking they care about fixing defective and unsafe products. The only way to really fix an unsafe product is to take back the defective product and replace it with one that has been re-engineered and manufactured properly. There is even a children's product manufacturer that is fighting claims that their product is unsafe (I read the Consumerist), these companies push their products with no regard to safety and all they care about is the $$$. In today's business world, it's profits first and people last.

Sadly one of the biggest items that is the subject of recalls is children's products and unfortunately it occurs after a kid is killed as a result.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Hawk
The Flushometer does have an overflow outlet at the bottom of the device, but I'm not sure its large enough to drain off full flow from a complete failure.

The straps won't prevent the device from failing, but it will prevent the explosive decompression that blows out the china. I think the inline pressure regulator is designed to lower the pressure inside the vessel and thus, help prevent the failure.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
»www.flushmate.com/recall/video/

Thanks for clarifying the overflow Bill. And I agree, after watching this simple installation video, I'm not really convinced the issue as a whole has been resolved post repair kit installation. From a standpoint of safety and personal bodily injury, perhaps? But there still exists an integral component with the potential to fail causing water damage. Leaving it at that and walking away almost feels negligent on my part. And after reading this article Flushmate III Recall Lawsuites which supports the thought, I'm wondering if installing the kit would actually be a disservice.

The video and link are probably dated and who knows if the manufactures procedure has changed or not. Guess contacting Sloan in the morning would be the next logical step before any recommendations to the client.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I wouldn't trust any repair kit from a recall, I'd demand a complete replacement product.

And your demand may be satisfied, or maybe not. But plenty of fixes do fix the fundamental issue and this one certainly is capable of doing that.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Hawk
Contacting Sloan would be a good idea I think. In my case, when I discovered a pinhole leak in the pressure vessel, they just overnighted me a whole new one. The only thing they wanted in return were pictures of where the leak was so they could show it to their R&D people.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Hawk
said by Hawk:

»www.flushmate.com/recall/video/

Thanks for clarifying the overflow Bill. And I agree, after watching this simple installation video, I'm not really convinced the issue as a whole has been resolved post repair kit installation. From a standpoint of safety and personal bodily injury, perhaps? But there still exists an integral component with the potential to fail causing water damage. Leaving it at that and walking away almost feels negligent on my part. And after reading this article Flushmate III Recall Lawsuites which supports the thought, I'm wondering if installing the kit would actually be a disservice.

The video and link are probably dated and who knows if the manufactures procedure has changed or not. Guess contacting Sloan in the morning would be the next logical step before any recommendations to the client.

they should have made it out of stainless steel, but, with the repair kit installed, there may be a timed shutoff valve that automatically shuts off the water if it runs too long, that would do the trick. also, issuing hearing protectors to the toilet visitors so they don't go deaf when the unit safely explodes seems a good idea.