Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1

7 recommendations

[WA] Steigerwald Lake NWR

After living in Vancouver for over a year, I've been trying to get out with my camera more. Washougal, and the surrounding area, is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge is at the base of the Columbia River Gorge, just as you start up the hill. Today was the third time I've stopped there. The first was just to drive through the parking lot. The second I got rain out. Today I think I got sunburned after spending about an hour and a half. I should have stayed longer but I need better walking shoes for this. The refuge is 1,049 acres, with paved walking trails and vista spots. I hadn't planned on walking as far as I did, but I'm so glad I ventured out since I found the best kept secret in Clark County. The main area is grasslands and I'm sure deer and coyotes are out at dusk, but since I walked further up, I found water. Lots of birds, turtles, and other critters. Not to mention awesome cloud reflections. It was so nice being outside this afternoon. I'm glad I got out of work early....but it is only 15 minutes from my apartment.

(My apologies if this scrolls a lot. I saved at a size for posting on flickr but wanted to post here first.)

Quiet Please

Through the door

Sit for a while

Reflect

--
My heroes wear combat boots-say thank you.
Dog Tags for Kids
Wounded Warrior
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

Arathaen
Herding Cats
Premium
join:2001-08-06
Vancouver, WA

1 recommendation

Beautiful!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Gizy
Gorgeous!

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
Nice. Looks like it was a great day to get out too.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
It's about time you got out and took some pictures.
Beautiful Pictures Gizy.
--
mbsastronomy.com

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
Nice pictures, Gizy! It sounds like you had a great day.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Gizy
Ah yes, the first sign of spring... Gizy See Profile pics!

love the door

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
Gizy, you should check out Beacon Rock. Lots of trails and an awesome viewpoint up on the rock.

»parks.wa.gov/474/Beacon-Rock

Gizy
Premium
PNW
I've known about Beacon Rock for a while, but I've never stopped. Thanks for the link! I may take a trip this weekend, even if it's raining.

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to Gizy
I always stop at Steigerwald when going into town, sometimes when going into town and when leaving town to go home. Most of the time walking around the parking lot area.

DonoftheDead
Premium
join:2004-07-12
USofA

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
Nice pics, man! Stopped there a couple of times on my way to The Dalles or back to Whidbey. What a beautiful place. Good for relieving hiway stress. Thanks for reminding me.

Gizy
Premium
PNW

3 recommendations

reply to Gizy
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I found something interesting with the pictures I've taken at the refuge. I keep taking one from roughly the same spot. I've decided to do a year long project and take a picture every month. Since it's only about 15 minutes away, I can run up after work, which is what I did tonight. I need to figure out how to handle the clouds though. (I keep blowing them out.) It's amazing to see how much the same spot changes from month to month.

March 2014

May 2014

June 2014

July 2014

--
My heroes wear combat boots-say thank you.
Dog Tags for Kids
Wounded Warrior
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Very nice, is that Mt Hood in the back right or maybe adams (trying to figure the exact direction)
a neutral density filter can help and they make one that fades...gradient or graduated? so you can put the darkest part towards the top.
or you can make to shots one adjusted to the clouds and one for the rest and photoshop them together though what you have looks good to me

Gizy
Premium
PNW
It's Mt Hood. I can actually see Vista House from Steigerwald, on a clear day.

I think I might to do a blend.....good idea