spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PayMore

@videotron.ca

Rogers gives people phony prices on their website. Then charges them more.

Did everyone see this yet? It was written by Angelus Novus.

Rogers website still can’t get it right
»benklass.wordpress.com/2014/03/1···t-right/

If I git it right, the nutshell of it is:

Rogers website sells it's mobile services at a certain price, but then hidden way in the small print are prices that don't match what the website says.

... data overage fees for wireless plans are initially shown at $10/GB, but in the fine print they come in at $15 for the same amount of data. Customer service indicated to me over the phone that the higher figure was what customers actually pay.

And there is more. Worth the read.

If someone get's screwed on their monthly bill, I wonder what the CCTS will honour in a multi-year contract should someone complain.

1. Price is wrong and the customers is actually charged more
2. It breaks the wireless code clarity rule.

Guess if someone buys this in a multi-year contract, the lowest price must be honoured. At least, that's what I think.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
and right away a rogers team member responds..

I wish they would respond as to the reason they are ripping off customers.

Would be a great story

PayMore

@videotron.ca
said by LastDon:

and right away a rogers team member responds..

I wish they would respond as to the reason they are ripping off customers.

Would be a great story

This isn't the first time he caught them doing this. Nor the first time they respond to him about this. Refer to the first two paragraphs.

Back in September, I wrote about confusing and misleading advertising on Rogers’ website. Their site was listing contradictory wireless data roaming and overage rates, making it impossible for consumers to make informed choices about the price of available services.

I was somewhat surprised when a Rogers rep responded to my blog by thanking me for pointing out the “technical error” and assuring me that the problem had been resolved.

So it seems to me that unless people police the telco's themselves the telco's just let it happen. How many paid professionals does Rogers have?

And really this is no different than how the "regulatory bodies" treat it all as well. Be it the CRTC, the competition bureau, or whatever marketing association there is (be it Ad Standards Canada or other).

Everything is reactionary. For example:

But in today’s day and age, should customers really have to police a communication company’s website for instances of miscommunication?

This is how the CRTC works, BTW. It's up to the people to raise issues. If Bell, Rogers or Telus does something, the CRTC just lets it go even if they know about it, or know it's wrong. People have to police it themselves or get screwed, then file stuff themselves with all sorts of proof and whatever else.

Think the teclo's don't know this? Think they don't milk this "Canadian reactionary system"?

Think the CRTC never knew Rogers, Videotron and Bell were charging nothing or charging very minimal rates for their own services compared to inflated rates for anything else (ie. in reference to mobileTV)? Think the CRTC didn't already know there are privacy issues with Bell's data-mining and customer profiling databases?
Expand your moderator at work

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to PayMore

Re: Rogers gives people phony prices on their website. Then charges them more.

said by PayMore :

If someone get's screwed on their monthly bill, I wonder what the CCTS will honour in a multi-year contract should someone complain.

Guess if someone buys this in a multi-year contract, the lowest price must be honoured. At least, that's what I think.

All online and telephone orders at Rogers are fulfilled by humans. They verify everything to make sure the customers are selecting valid price plans and that they're not committing fraud. In this case, the website allowed the customer to select a plan that doesn't exist. If the website allowed the customer to successfully "checkout", the order would've eventually gotten rejected at the validation stage anyways.

PayMore

@videotron.ca
said by yyzlhr:

All online and telephone orders at Rogers are fulfilled by humans. They verify everything to make sure the customers are selecting valid price plans and that they're not committing fraud.

What about when the small print doesn't jive with the overage costs. Or, when they make reference to small print but the small print isn't actually there for the person to see.

How is that caught and corrected?

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by PayMore :

said by yyzlhr:

All online and telephone orders at Rogers are fulfilled by humans. They verify everything to make sure the customers are selecting valid price plans and that they're not committing fraud.

What about when the small print doesn't jive with the overage costs. Or, when they make reference to small print but the small print isn't actually there for the person to see.

How is that caught and corrected?

All orders ship with a confirmation that lists the price plan and the overage rates. If the confirmation prints the wrong overage, the CCTS would force Rogers to honour it. If the confirmation prints the correct overage and disagrees with it they can return the device and cancel the service without incurring any charges.

bklass
Premium
join:2012-02-06
Canada
kudos:2
How many do you think are likely to see the $10/GB overage prominently advertised on the website, then see the $15 in small print contained within a package shared by shiny new phone, then actually send it back?

CCTS or no, a systematic and persistently incorrect information on any company's website is unacceptable.
Expand your moderator at work

Imitations

@videotron.ca
reply to bklass

Re: Rogers gives people phony prices on their website. Then charges them more.

Hey Check this!

It seems some commercial mobile site ripped off the work and blog of Ben Klass.

At least in these topics here I give link-backs, credit, and call him by his real name, Angelus Novus.

It appears as if both this Mark Golburg guy and Daniel Bader rip in your blog to explain it (basically posting what you stated w/o giving any credit to you and your blog), then post it on their commercial site as their own.

I find that very rude Mr Goldburg and Mr. Bader (But to Mr Baders credit, at the bottom of the article he states Goldberg wrote it for him since he didn't have the capability to write anything decent). That is very unCanadian of them both to rip someones blog and not give credit. Shame on you both.

They also rip into the topic we have going here:
»Re: The Mythical 4th National Carrier

So really, Mr. Goldburg, ripping off blogs and forums now without citation or credit, then giving it to be posted on a commercial mobile website with statements by the author stating you helped to write it? Really? tsk tsk tsk. I would feel ashamed, personally.

So yeah, read this, »mobilesyrup.com/2014/03/19/heres···-rising/, then go check the topic linked above and blog they ripped in this topic for their story that is put up as a piece by Mark Goldberg on a commercial mobile website.

Sinful act. I think it may require a formal apology.

Immitatios

@videotron.ca
FYI, The blog post they rip is:
»benklass.wordpress.com/2014/03/1···-prices/

Not the one on the prices that change depending on which small print happens to be available.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by PayMore :

All online and telephone orders at Rogers are fulfilled by humans. They verify everything to make sure the customers are selecting valid price plans and that they're not committing fraud. In this case, the website allowed the customer to select a plan that doesn't exist. If the website allowed the customer to successfully "checkout", the order would've eventually gotten rejected at the validation stage anyways.

Okay, verified by humans that are idiots.

I had a call from a third party company working for Rogers. (since I had reduced my services)

Anyway, she calls offering a-la-carte products. I said the only one I was interested in was CNN. She said I have CNN. I said, no, I don't. She said, 'yes, you do'. I told her to re-read things. She re-read, and agreed that I did not have CNN (channel 33). She then offers me CNN for $2.50/month. I agree. She comes back, says that CNN can't be offered by itself, and offers with other channels for $6/month. I agree.

This now gets fired off to verifier. He is Rogers staff. He repeats everything she said, that I will be getting CNN plus other channels. Told me to wait 24 hours. Never came. Called in, Rogers told me to wait until next billing cycle and channel will appear. It never did.

Called Rogers again, and finally escalation staff said that CNN is not part of their a-la-carte program.

So even with staffers, Rogers useless because they haven't a clue to what their doing and none of them have any knowledge about their products.

Imitations

@videotron.ca
reply to Immitatios
Must add this part.

After Golberg and this Bader guy rip the Angelus Novus blog and the other forum topic going here, Goldberg patts himself on the back for ripping it and helping to write it and calls himself a deep thinker. LOL

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON
reply to PayMore
I am not surprised at all.

A few years ago I received a call from Rogers offering me cell promos, what timing my Bell plan had just expired and I was looking for a new one.

The 3 phone total came to $124 +tax
Shortly after I got the email and it was $134 +tax
Called up but no one could figure out how the $124 came about and couldn't discount the extra, so I figured oh well its just $10.
Two of the three phones arrived, one damaged so it was returned for replacement.
A few days later the first bill arrived, $167 +tax, oh hell no.
They wouldn't accept the email confirmation as proof of price, and even tried to force me to pay early termination when I refused to accept their scam price, even though the sim cards had never been inserted into the phones.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to AppleGuy
In this case, the staffers wouldn't have to know anything. The price plan just wouldn't exist in the system for them to fulfill the order, leading to a rejection.

Real Words

@videotron.ca
said by yyzlhr:

In this case, the staffers wouldn't have to know anything. The price plan just wouldn't exist in the system for them to fulfill the order, leading to a rejection.

Translation:
We bait people.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by Real Words :

....We bait people.

Bell is no better, and possibly worse.

Of course they have had more years to hone their 'craft', such as that is.