uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Garden tractor battery

I need to buy a garden tractor battery. The size is 71/2 in wide by 5 in deep and 61/2 high. The old battery is an interstate battery that I bought about 5 years ago. Should I buy another Interstate or are there some better?

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

From what I'm told they are all equally crappy, but 5 years is pretty good life for a garden battery.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
That sounds like a U-1 size battery.

Interstate is a well-respected brand, but if you happen to have a Costco membership, you may find their Kirkland brand to be a better bang for the buck...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Yes we have a Costco about 12 miles from me and I am a member. I'll go tomorrow.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Last two I've gotten were Energizer brand from Wally-world...

Got 3-4 years out of then, which isn't half bad for the price.
MacSierra
join:2013-11-22
United State

1 recommendation

MacSierra to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Johnson Controls is the leading USA supplier of lead acid batteries for virtually every type of passenger car, light truck or utility vehicle as well as the leading independent supplier of hybrid systems. I buy 20 or 30 batteries a year so I've researched this pretty well.

Interstate and Kirkland are both made by Johnson Controls. As was said Costco is the place to find better bang for the buck. 5 or 6 years ago wally world switched to a Chinese supplier and I had nothing but trouble and wallys denied warranty on batteries less than 2 years old. I don't know if they are still with that supplier but I'll never go back to wallys for batteries.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Make note of how the + and - terminals are placed. They are reversed on some tractors, and should have the U-1R marking to denote that. The cables probably won't reach and/or route properly if you buy the wrong one.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
5 Years? I'd buy another Interstate. Just saying, I'm lucky to get 1 year out of the Autozone / Oreily / Advance / Lowe's / Walmart batteries. This is the first year in ages I can remember my battery carrying over (Oreily). I put it in the mower and it started right up.
I didn't even think about Interstate for a lawnmower. Next time (which I'm sure will be soon) I will.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by nunya:

5 Years? I'd buy another Interstate. Just saying, I'm lucky to get 1 year out of the Autozone / Oreily / Advance / Lowe's / Walmart batteries. This is the first year in ages I can remember my battery carrying over (Oreily). I put it in the mower and it started right up.
I didn't even think about Interstate for a lawnmower. Next time (which I'm sure will be soon) I will.

I said it was about 5 years but it could have 4. I bought it at Homedepot

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
You might want to try a Strongbox sold by John Deere. It's my understanding that they are probably a little more able to withstand the shake rattle and roll that garden tractors without shocks provide. But then again you had one last you 5 years so . . .
MacSierra
United State

MacSierra to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
I just remembered last year someone told me that Exide was making Wal Marts batteries but walleys switched back to Johnson Controls for supply in 2012 due to high failure rates. Than I just found that Exide filed a chapter 11 in June of 2013 due to losing Wal Mart...

»online.wsj.com/news/arti ··· 39936994

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

1 recommendation

shdesigns to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

5 Years? I'd buy another Interstate. Just saying, I'm lucky to get 1 year out of the Autozone / Oreily / Advance / Lowe's / Walmart batteries.

Dead over the winter, wont charge?

Get a battery tender. Sitting over the winter they discharge and then sulfate. Or they freeze. A battery tender will keep it from self discharging.

Note a battery tender, NOT a trickle charger. Those will run the batts dry of electrolyte.

My mower is on a solar cell with a float charge controller. I get 4-5 years out of any make batt.

I wasted money on expensive OEM batts in mower and bikes only to replace them about a year later. The cheap Walmart batts have been good. 10 years on cars, 3-4 years ob bikes.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Nope. Lawn tractor batteries are just shit.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

Agreed on that
MacSierra
United State

MacSierra to shdesigns

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

said by nunya:

5 Years? I'd buy another Interstate. Just saying, I'm lucky to get 1 year out of the Autozone / Oreily / Advance / Lowe's / Walmart batteries.

Dead over the winter, wont charge?

Get a battery tender. Sitting over the winter they discharge and then sulfate. Or they freeze. A battery tender will keep it from self discharging.

Note a battery tender, NOT a trickle charger. Those will run the batts dry of electrolyte.

My mower is on a solar cell with a float charge controller. I get 4-5 years out of any make batt.

I wasted money on expensive OEM batts in mower and bikes only to replace them about a year later. The cheap Walmart batts have been good. 10 years on cars, 3-4 years ob bikes.

Exactly right on the battery tenders. I have about 10 of the "Battery Tender 800 Waterproof" units here and they float the batteries at about 13.1 volts nice and constant. I always leave one in the Amazon shopping cart and when the price drops under 30 bucks I grab another one..

Yep, the number one destroyer of lawn/tractor batteries is over charging and boiling the electrolyte. Trickle chargers will destroy batteries if left on too long.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

only if they don't have an automatic float feature which iirc all the battery tender brand chargers do.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet

said by boogi man:

only if they don't have an automatic float feature which iirc all the battery tender brand chargers do.

Hard to dispute the Amazon feedback on them with over 2,399 reviews and a 4.5 rating out of 5.
»www.amazon.com/Battery-T ··· 0CITK8S/
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Are you leaving the battery on a trickle charger every winter? If not, that would improve the life of the battery by quite a bit.

I bought my used GT with a 7 year old Walmart battery installed. While it did need to be replaced it did still start the tractor. The new one I have has been on a charger all winter and I expect it to perform like new this spring once the lawn is ready for fertilizer.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
+1 on the Costco batteries.

100% refund or replacement for 36-months which can't be beat, after that it's pro-rated.

shdesigns