join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Help] Unexplained battery drain - LG G2 smartphone

I've had this smartphone less than 2 weeks with no battery problems until this morning/last night. Went to bed and the battery was around 87% and awoke to find it at 10%.

Would anyone please help me figure out what happened?

Only app I installed was a local weather app but I've had that since Day 1. The KitKat update via T-mobile isn't available yet for me as I don't have WiFi.

First smartphone and - admittedly - I am quite the novice. Thanks for your help.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

There are a number of possibilities why you have such a large battery drain. I had a large battery drain on my S4, so I went into settings and turned off GPS and Location Services. Now my battery lasts a long time with little battery drain. I would recommend you doing the same and see if that works.

I'm sure others will answer with some more recommendations.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Thanks ! Dumb question: will turning those off affect getting location specific weather updates? Sorry; am real ditz.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

Thanks ! Dumb question: will turning those off affect getting location specific weather updates? Sorry; am real ditz.

I believe that it will affect getting specific weather updates when you change locations. However, you can manually set any weather app that I know of with your current location and get updates.

Unfortunately, that's the downside of turning off GPS/Location Services. However, try it and see if it solves your battery issue. You can always turn it back on.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to FureverFurry

Mod

to FureverFurry
I've used Wakelock Detector to id the apps that are causing battery drain.
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· detector

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Gad - I think I've found it. A weather app is now requiring UPDATED Google play services. Well ... among the many things the app wants is to NEVER let a phone sleep.

What the heck ??? Anyone else having that issue? It seems very intrusive (updated version).
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
turn off unnecessary apps / services...

I get a full day on mine before re-charging.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

medbuyer,
Errrm, how do I do that, please? Am brand spankin' new smartphone user and over age 60 to boot .

I *have* found a list of running apps. Only a couple have "stop" by them, but when I press that, it only greys out and the use percentage remains. FWIW, I've only downloaded 2 apps (number blocker gizmo) and Vonage extensions -- all the rest are preinstalled.

Thanks. Fun having a phone smarter than the user, lol.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is how my settings look like right now.

Of course, I replied to this post when my battery was almost out....

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Not if its an app that lets you manually specify the local location by ZIP as most decent do.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Gad - I think I've found it. A weather app is now requiring UPDATED Google play services. Well ... among the many things the app wants is to NEVER let a phone sleep.

What the heck ??? Anyone else having that issue? It seems very intrusive (updated version).

Sounds like an app to ditch there are many that don't require that.
And updating always look at what new permissions are being request, Crapple never tells you but Android does. Currently I have over a dozens Apps I have not updated,and sent mail to Devs say I will not until they explain their exact reason for seeming un needed broad permissions. Some have and I do... other not and will use them as long as the old version works.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to medbuyer

to medbuyer
you realize that only works on a samsung phone. Your looking at samsungs screwing up of android. His g2 will not look like that.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by GLIMMER:

you realize that only works on a samsung phone. Your looking at samsungs screwing up of android. His g2 will not look like that.

I know that....and I hope he knows that too....

I was trying to paint a picture of how my settings look like...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
Easy killer, medbuyer was giving some general advice.