how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

700 NEW DOMAIN EXTENSIONS Available now to order...

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I think much confusion will ensue. Many people already have trouble remembering if a domain ends in .net or .org instead of .com.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to inGearX
You can order but most aren't available yet and might not be for a while. I see only about six to eight introduced each month.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to inGearX
said by inGearX:

...what do you think?

I think this only benefits the Marketeers and the Registrars, not any consumers. There was frankly no compelling need for this; what's the difference if users go cnet.review instead of reviews.cnet.com, for example?

I also wonder what the long term impact will be on the root, as this is a major expansion in the number of TLDs. No one knows for sure and could take years before we find out the ramifications.

theedj
Right Back At-Cha
Premium
join:2002-12-12
Calgary
reply to inGearX
I'll be interested to see how search engines handle these. I have a few other TLD's (like .tv) that hardly ever see any action from search, even though they're indexed.

I think that if you can't get a .com (or other 'traditional') TLD then keep looking for something.
--
I talk about the Winnipeg Jets
#1 spot for Winnipeg Jets news, rumors & reads
I like to drink beer & talk hockey

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to inGearX
said by inGearX:

hmm what do you think?

Its a stupid idea that only makes money for registrars and will do nothing but confuse the average user.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to theedj
said by theedj:

I'll be interested to see how search engines handle these.

Search engines don't care. They only care about content.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to inGearX
It means that all 700 domain names of the form 'myname.something' will be registered by some big company before I get there.

It means that assorted people get a cut of the action as every big company registers 700 forms of their company name.

The whole system is busted; there is no longer any information conveyed by the TLD. Tragedy of the commons: business uses it as a toilet.

This is why we can't have anything nice.