spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mjwjax
join:2002-04-02
Jacksonville, FL

mjwjax

[INTERNET] Configure Wireless Router with Arris Modem

I have a Cogeco Arris TG862G Cable modem (wireless disabled) and I'm trying to configure a Speedstream 6520 (Seimens Firmware) wireless router. The reason is that the Speedstream has far better strength for me then the Arris when it comes to wifi strength.

Out of the box, the Arris works just fine. But when I put it into bridge mode, I cannot get the the Speedstream to see through the Arris and get to the internet. Is there anything special information I need from Cogeco to do this. Or are there any "Howto's" one could point me to to get this set up properly?

Thanks in advance for any information !

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters

Premium Member

When I had the Arris EMTA, I had Cogeco disable the wireless and then I hooked my D-LINK DIR 645 router up to LAN 1 on the EMTA and it was able to get the internet signal and work just fine.

As well, I am curious why you are using a DSL modem/router combo as your router. You cannot bridge that modem and expect the wireless to work as the bridge function disables the WAN interface. What I would do is connect LAN 4 of the Speedstream to LAN 1 of the Arris, then set up the Speedstream in routed modem with the logins Test@test and password of test so that you can satisfy the routed setup of the modem. Set up your wireless on the Speedstream and you should be able to work. Still think it is silly to use a DSL modem/router combo as a single router. I hope my info helps!
mjwjax
Jacksonville, FL

1 edit

mjwjax

It is the Arris that I bridged, and configured the Speedstream to set port 4 as WAN...

Since posting this, I was able to get the combination to work... but I'm having issues getting the ports to forward through.

Thanks for responding.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

Define "bridged", because as a Cogeco tech, I can tell you that all you need to do is disable the wireless radio. Any other setting you are tampering with is what is causing the problem.

It is a DHCP connection to the cogeco network, there is no authentication, so there is no bridging. Its not a PPPOE connection.

All you should be doing is logging in, and unchecking the "enable wireless" box, and save. Thats it.
coaxguy

coaxguy

Edit: just noticed you are trying to use a DSL modem router combo as a wireless router. More of a headache than its work, if it ever does truly work.

This may help

»speedstream 6300 and cable modem
mjwjax
Jacksonville, FL

mjwjax to coaxguy

to coaxguy
said by coaxguy:

All you should be doing is logging in, and unchecking the "enable wireless" box, and save. Thats it.

Thats how I got it to work. But I still can't get the ports to forward. Without the Speedstream, I have no problem with port forwarding. I thought if I could put the Arris in a true bridge mode and I could configure the Speedstream to handle the port translation.

I have multiple PC's on my network... and when the IP provided by Cogeco gets a query for a particular port (for example 55555), I need that to be forwarded to a internal IP... Like 192.168.2.100 (One of my PCs on my LAN)

And my current configuration is the same as the link you posted above.