All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
McJugga
join:2008-12-30
Nepean, ON

McJugga

Is it possible to do anything that requires uploading in Ottawa?

Hey, looking around at internet packages around here and it seems like I'm giong to have to pay upwards of $70 to break 3 mb/s upload speed? What the hell? How does anyone who needs to use their upload regularly get by?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I'm assuming you don't live in Bell VDSL territory.

If you live in Rogers cable territory you can look at Start. They offer packages with 10mbps upload for under $70.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

said by yyzlhr:

I'm assuming you don't live in Bell VDSL territory.

If you live in Rogers cable territory you can look at Start. They offer packages with 10mbps upload for under $70.

Yeah. The 35/10 package with Start is 59.99+tax.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to McJugga

Premium Member

to McJugga
said by McJugga:

Hey, looking around at internet packages around here and it seems like I'm giong to have to pay upwards of $70 to break 3 mb/s upload speed? What the hell? How does anyone who needs to use their upload regularly get by?

Going by your location on your profile, for the most part Nepean has full Bell VDSL coverage which offers 10Mbps upload.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

But is that 10 guaranteed like on cable? Or do some poeple get lots lower?
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to McJugga

to McJugga
Yeah, as others have said: go with Start.ca and their "Plus" packages on Cable with 10mbit/sec upload (really, a full 10mbit/sec!).

I'm in Nepean also, and service has been quite good with them since signing up over a year ago.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario

bjlockie to hmm

to hmm
It could be 7-10.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

said by bjlockie:

It could be 7-10.

I've seen people get 2-3 :/

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

they don't sell you VDSL2 for 25/10 or 50/10 if your line won't qualify at least for 7Mbit up. a special order needs to be put in for orders that are estimated to be below that.

you can check the start.ca qualifying tool, i believe it provides an estimate on your upload.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to hmm

to hmm
said by hmm :

said by bjlockie:

It could be 7-10.

I've seen people get 2-3 :/

Folks getting 2-3 Mb/s on VDSL accepted that that is all they will get before they put their order in. As jmck said, Bell will auto-reject anything below 7Mb/s for GAS orders.

The only time the 10Mb/s is "up to" from 640k to 10M is 15/10 because Bell advertises the ADSL2+ and VDSL2 offering as 1 package.

@McJugga,

You can find VDSL 25/10 for as low as $39.99 and Start offers 25/10 Cable for $49.95.
TypeS

TypeS

(Delete double post).

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to McJugga

Mod

to McJugga
The asymmetry in download/upload speeds is historical. It was long ago discovered that for residential use, the upload requirement was under 10% of the download.

It was a LOT cheaper to provide that service than symmetrical that nobody was going to use. Today with fibre the price differential isn't there.