tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Re: I understand why

Those "billions" (or sometimes much less) might start the process, but they'll never see a dime more to finish unless the can convince the investors (current or future) that they can get it back, overtime, on a reliable basis.
And FiOS proved that to be a very risky bet, which is not why people by 'blue-chip' stocks like AT&T (fairly risk adverse group)
if they run the stock price down by starting risky projects as you suggest, the stock tanks and the sell out to centurylink or frontier or XXX, who have ably demonstrated what companies with low investment capital available can do...not much.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25

Are you honestly stating that fiber is not the future of internet connections and that by a company like AT&T rolling fiber it will doom them to a second rate telecommunication company like CenturyLink and Frontier?

I hate to break it to you, but fiber IS the future of the internet so it is not a matter of if they do it, it is a matter of when. I dont know if you are actually one of those idiots out there that thinks wireless will be all that is needed, but wireless will never match fiber and will never be anything more than a second rate connection for while you are on the move.

It cracks me up how some people come here claiming fiber is so evil and just can't be done because it cost money. Beyond keeping the stock jockeys happy there simply is no justifiable reason to not roll it out quicker. That is the only argument you antifiber people continue to make and it is all for short term returns. I can only guess you guys are holding out for the government to finally help subsidize it even more than they do now.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

It cracks me up how some people come here claiming fiber is so evil and just can't be done because it cost money.

I haven't seen ANYONE claim fiber is evil, or undesirable. No one here is anti-fiber or would turn it away if offered at a low enough price.
However quite a few of us believe that you will have a very difficult time convincing the Telco it is as affordable to build a ubiquitous fiber network as you say.
Unlike google the don't get a free pass on RoW and pole fees power and Rackspace and liability etc.etc.
And the also don't get to say we will only upgrade your neighborhood IF a high percentage sign up in advance and then only on our schedule, and we'll also skip your neighborhood or even city if it looks too hard or wants too many common things like pole replacement or a say in box placement.
As I explained before, keeping those "stock Jockey's" happy is their source of capital, and this would take a lot of it.
Verizon tried to do it on the Telco side , lost most of their territory over it, and still can't finish the very limited space they kept.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

Unlike google the don't get a free pass on RoW and pole fees power and Rackspace and liability etc.etc.

But Google is offering FREE internet 7 years. I don't see any of the incumbents doing that.

All in all I think its a fair trade

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Yes, you are ready to be convinced, but as I've be saying this isn't about convincing the choir, it's about convincing the people at the other church- the investors.
They don't see profit/payback from
said by DataRiker:

offering FREE internet 7 years

even if the town wants it and all the people want it if the company can't see the numbers they need, or the investors don't believe the company is right, it won't happen.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

The free internet is largely taken by poor people who otherwise would be on $14 dollar DSL.

I don't see the investor concern here.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

The free internet is largely taken by poor people who otherwise would be on $14 dollar DSL.

I don't see the investor concern here.

The concern would be the $14 DSL can't even support existing copper let alone a new build out, making it free is worse and can only be balanced by higher fees at the top end, which your plan doesn't allow for either.
How to spend more to make less isn't going to draw new money in, and may make old money run away

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to DataRiker

to DataRiker
Technically, Googles "free internet costs" $3.57 / mo
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Around my location, At&t basic aDSL intro rate is $19.95/mo + fees + $99 installation. That works out to a minimum of $28.24/month for the first year.

2nd+ year price increases by 13.05/mo, or $33/mo (minimum) for just a crappy PPPoE 768kb down/128kb up aDSL service.

Verses Google fibre 5Mb/1Mb service for a almost a tenth of the price. NO CONTEST. If Google deployed fibre to my neighborhood, I would be one of the first to pay the installation costs..

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to Skippy25

to Skippy25
@skippy25: I love how you know more about how AT&T should spend its money than AT&T's own management does.

It's very EASY to tell others how to spend their money. When you're accountable to shareholders and Wall Street, it's a little harder. tshirt is right.

If you know better, then put your money where your mouth is (like google) and show us how rapidly you can earn a return on it.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

That's the problem, everyone that has influence wants to see how rapidly a company can earn a return on their money. A little objectivity might be warranted.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

@jmn1207: would you want someone else telling you how long you should wait for a return on your on your investment? I assume not, so why would you presume to tell AT&T investors how long they should wait?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

The entire system is flawed. We see boards propping up CEOs with their only goal being to make profits quickly. It's not sustainable and will do more harm in the long run unless something is changed.

Investors should not expect a corporation to layoff 10,000 employess and let their customer support plummet just to see a point or two increase in the short term, but we see this all too frequently.