spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DA
join:2002-04-13
Greenville, SC

DA

[HSI] I am trying to decide if I should move off the Ultra100 plan

I am on the old 100 Meg plan and Charter expired some discount they gave me this month so next month my total bill is hitting $196 which is far more than I am willing to pay.

Right now my bill is:
Digital Home: 66.99
Additional Cable Card: $2.00
Digital View Plus: $10
Sports View: $10
Internet Service: $47.99
Ultra 100 Upgrade: $55.00
Bundle Discount -$10.00
Misc Taxes fee's: 14.13
Total: 196.11

I was thinking of the following:
Charter Business Internet: $65
Charter TV Gold:$86.98 per month
Misc Taxes and fees: ~$15
Total: 166.98

I hate to give up the Ultra100 service due to the fee to reinstate it but it just doesn't seem worth it especially since I would save the $200 in 6.5 months... I got the Ultra100 Service for the higher cap but the Business service doesn't have the cap at all.

Based on this I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions:
1) Is Charter still firm on the no discount bandwagon? Do I even have a hope of calling and getting a better deal?

2) Can I use Charter business internet and residential TV?

3) For Charter Business service will they waive the install if I am an existing Charter customer?

4) Will I be able to watch things like WatchESPN on CharterBusiness based on my residential TV subscription?

5) Are there any rumors of an upgrade to the Ultra100 service that may make it worth staying?

I do have a sales inquiry in to Charter Business but I don't expect to speak to them until Monday but any feedback would be appreciated.
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431

1. Depends who you ask
2. Yes
3. No
4. Not sure
5. Have heard of it going to 100/7 but I wouldn't hold my breath for the upload. If I were you i would try residential and see if you get a notice RE cap before moving to business.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to DA

to DA
No reason you needed to go to ultra100, they don't enforce caps.

Yes you can use charter business internet and residential TV. Just order separately. Though you might get a better deal if you bundled even with business.

No they won't waive install.

The only upgrade that is known is 30meg is going to 60 i think in near future when everyone is digital.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to DA

Anon

to DA
1) If you ask the answer MIGHT be no. If you don't ask the answer will 100% be no.
4) If you are allowed to have residential TV with business internet I don't see a reason why you couldn't. I've logged into WatchESPN at a friend house that didn't have Charter internet. WatchESPN is connected to you TV subscription not your internet subscription.

miscposter
@charter.com

miscposter to DA

Anon

to DA
Your area is scheduled to get the upgrade from 30Mbps to 60Mbps on March 18th (Greenville, SC). So, you may want to consider just going with the Internet Plus residential for 54.99.
BoMarty
join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

BoMarty to DA

to DA
"Charter Business Internet: $65"
Thought this was $55 no contract
DA
Greenville, SC

DA

said by BoMarty:

"Charter Business Internet: $65"
Thought this was $55 no contract

It is $55 when bundled with business phone or TV.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to markopoleo

to markopoleo
>No reason you needed to go to ultra100, they don't enforce caps.

like hell they don't. Friend who got charter 3 months ago just got warned if he goes over again on the 30meg plan hes getting the boot. the 30meg plan gets enforced nearly everywhere, the ultra100 tier only gets enforced in areas that have congestion issues.
browncoat
join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL

browncoat

said by Chubbysumo:

like hell they don't. Friend who got charter 3 months ago just got warned if he goes over again on the 30meg plan hes getting the boot. the 30meg plan gets enforced nearly everywhere, the ultra100 tier only gets enforced in areas that have congestion issues.

I'm on the 30meg and I've hit 2TB many months and never heard a peep.
DA
Greenville, SC

DA to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
This is why I am a bit nervous. We push a little over 700 Gigs a month and it truly is legit content since I work at home and do a sync of my work daily which runs 10-15 gigs a day plus all of the streaming the family does.

I don't mind paying for the business account just to remove any concern about the cap but I worry that the sync that currently runs overnight for work may run into the morning if I downgrade the plan.

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone to DA

to DA
considering 30 meg will be bumped to 60 meg soon I would wait it out tip then and downgrade so you don't have to setup a business account only to try to go back to a residential account once the speed increase happens.
browncoat
join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL

browncoat to DA

to DA
said by DA:

This is why I am a bit nervous. We push a little over 700 Gigs a month and it truly is legit content since I work at home and do a sync of my work daily which runs 10-15 gigs a day plus all of the streaming the family does.

From what I've been told, Charter generally does not enforce the caps. It varies by region and they are very lax with it. As I said, I used to go nuts but have slowed down considerably. They never said anything to me in any event.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

Its on an area by area basis, and from what I have heard, more of a node by node basis. My end of town, Never heard a peep about usage, but drive across town, and charter enforces it like nazis. I have been told by several charter techs that the 30mbps plan is almost always enforced as far as the cap goes, since they either want to force people onto the faster tier(free 200 flip the switch fee), or more expensive business service. I would be careful either way, because at some point, im sure, charter will bring the hammer down, especially when everyone is going at 60mbps.
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned)

.....oh and don't forget this speed increase is NOT free!!!!
What for the OTHER shoe to drop in the coming months when the price for this service jumps yet again. Unless you are very well off Charter does NOT want your business.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by 63475675:

.....oh and don't forget this speed increase is NOT free!!!!
What for the OTHER shoe to drop in the coming months when the price for this service jumps yet again. Unless you are very well off Charter does NOT want your business.

IF/WHEN they raise the price it will be a price increase until then its free.

Well off? At&t DSL is the same rice for 1/10 the speed so lease. Sure if you want 1.5 Mbps or less you might save a few bucks. Good luck doing anything with that. It's also cheaper than satellite or mobile internet and the 250 GB cap is 25X higher than those options.