spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jbrewno
join:2010-01-21
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno

Why is it ...

That my iphone 4, on the same verizon network (3g)... Gets better speeds , better ping, better everything. Than my USB 760 from millenicom on the verizon 3g network? They both get about the same signal. But i can actually game on my Iphone 4 with pings about 100-200ms with out 1500ms spikes? Can modems go bad? Is it just the location of the device?? I been wanting to get a short usb cable and try moving the modem around a lil bit see if it helps but I might be getting off the milenicom band wagon soon and just tethering with my phone as i got 14gb a month to use on that ?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by jbrewno:

as i got 14gb a month to use on that

oh which carrier and how much a month?
jbrewno
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno

Verizon i got 4 lines and we only use like 2gb a month out of the 14gb
jbrewno

jbrewno to dib22

to dib22
Click for full size

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Well since your paying for it you should use it... just be careful $10 a GB can add up fast when watching video

As for why... it very well could just be differences in radios... the iphones internals as quite new compared to the old 760.
jbrewno
Port Byron, NY

jbrewno

Yea I know, isnt it like $10 a MB actually? Or something crazy? Too bad i cant upgrade this modem maybe its just time to get the hotspot thing with the 3g/4g thing in it. Prolly be better off, that prolly has a better radio than my USB760 id imagine lol... ORRRRR I have this old Wild Blue satelite dish on top of my crib and its not being used and the coax cable is conviently placed right next to my computer... Think anything could be had from that?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by jbrewno:

Yea I know, isnt it like $10 a MB actually? Or something crazy?

$10/GB is pretty crazy. The way verizon has it broken down is:

For plans 1GB and above, data overage is $15 per 1GB of data if you go over your plan allowance. For the 250 MB plan, data overage is $15 per 200 MB. For the 500 MB plan, data overage is $15 per 500 MB.

So on your plan it would be $15/GB overage.

I am not sure if an antenna would help you, usually you need to be on the fringe, but other experts might chime in on if you can re-use sat coax as cable for an EVDO antenna... the cable I use is different when I run antennas, but I think it would depend on what the specs of the coax you have are.

Check »evdotips.blogspot.com/ for good antenna tips (the menu is on the right side, scroll down a bit)
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to jbrewno

Premium Member

to jbrewno
Verizon might be treating traffic from their own devices with a higher priority than traffic from third party resellers.

It's documented that Sprint does the same thing with Virgin Mobile.

»www.evdoinfo.com/content ··· 3368/64/

Excerpt (emphasis theirs):

We expected there might be some difference, but we were shocked to see this big of a difference from the two services, considering they both use Sprint's 3G network! Per our testing, Virgin Mobile's service is only providing about 1/4 of the performance that Sprint devices are getting, in the exact same location. We continued to test with the Virgin Mobile MiFi, and our average speeds were 0.30 to 0.40 mbit/sec; the fastest speeds we were able to see was 0.60 mbit/sec in the middle of the night when there was probably no one else on the network. The Sprint MiFi consistently provided speeds that were several times faster in the same location. This tells us that Virgin Mobile subscribers are getting second priority on Sprint's network - they are essentially being given the "leftover" bandwidth available that's not being used by Sprint subscribers.

patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to jbrewno

to jbrewno
said by jbrewno:

I see you have the 14GB plan if you want you can get +1 GB at no extra cost for 1 year.

Here are 2 links with proof: (posted by me)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1708267
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2650833

Let me know how it goes :D