MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to KCrimson

MVM

to KCrimson

Re: 2014 F1 season...

Fastest in preseason testing does not guarantee best in races. A couple of years ago McLaren looked to give RB a run for their money - it never panned out in races though.

Problem with improving engines during the year is that teams like Marrusia and Caterham would no longer be able to race - they don't have the resources in people or money. So - they have to work on aero during the year which yields smaller gains.

Other issue winds up that teams with lots of money and no hope for the current years will start developing the engine package before the end of the year while those still battling can't. This is the main reason why Brawn was able to parley their winning season and why Mercedes is so good this year. Having engineers familiar with the new engines and turbos also helps a ton. Not sure how much Renault engineers are used to turbos and I have to think no Ferrari uses forced induction of any kind. Pretty sure Mercedes does use induction in some of their cars...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

nm

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to KCrimson

Premium Member

to KCrimson
said by KCrimson:

Thanks - that's interesting. They were talking about how today's FIA rules pretty much eliminate any rebuilding/redesigning during the season (reasoning: to cut cost). Isn't the sport BEYOND reasonable costs in regards to manufacturers already? It seems that this season's dominance by Mercedes, as well as previous RB dominance was all set "in stone" BEFORE any of the races commenced - during the weeks/months of testing when rumours start to swirl about one engine's dominance over the others. From there, its only a matter of slight irregularities each week from the predicted finish. I don't think that's the "formula" that the Formula was originally designed to be.

I came across a tweet over the weekend where someone says that there will only be 8 teams next year, due to the unsustainable money arrangement currently in F1. Here's link to a forum discussion of it. »forums.autosport.com/top ··· in-2015/ It's virtually impossible for the smaller teams to ever really compete as they get very little money at the end of the season, while the big boys get boatloads of cash. They really need to find a way to help the smaller teams, or it will become a sport of 4 or 5 well funded teams running 3 or 4 cars each. I don't want to see that happen.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

My take on the situation is that the problem really lies with Ecklestone and the entrenched companies that support him, and nothing short of new multi-zillionaire-backed ownership group(s) can achieve such a goal. Imagine if a white knight ownership wanted to shake things up - or TWO such groups. I wish Haas all the luck in the world peeking American interest in the sport for this very reason - new American blood could be a very healthy thing.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

One hell of a close race for pole.... Button again out qualified and it looks like Red Bull has found a bit of something or the cars like the track. It will be probably the last time Vettel starts this high - if he takes his penalty by changing the engine after this race.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

nm
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

I will.post the reaults of the race. Busy day yesterday and didnt even check ti see if there was a race.

It was wet, and a driver is seriously injured with a head injury.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to CylonRed

Mod

to CylonRed
The race was pretty exciting (with rain, it usually is), but the ending of it wasn't good. After a crash, the race was under a yellow flag, then the safety car, and then red flagged after Jules Bianchi (Marussia) had a second crash at the same location as the first one.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

Was surprised to see vettel leaving red bull as well.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

nm

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

The race was pretty exciting (with rain, it usually is), but the ending of it wasn't good. After a crash, the race was under a yellow flag, then the safety car, and then red flagged after Jules Bianchi (Marussia) had a second crash at the same location as the first one.

I believe Jules is in critical condition after Brain surgery. Shame your enjoyment was spoiled.

Hob

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

2 recommendations

Kardinal

Mod

I think my choice of words may have conveyed, to some, that I was disappointed that the race was ended after Bianchi's crash. That's not what I meant at all; what I meant was that the situation that caused the early end to the race wasn't good (an understatement, to be sure), but that up until that point the race had been quite entertaining. I was also not stating exactly what had happened in case anyone was watching the race on tape delay (I had watched it in the middle of the night EDT, and then replayed starting at 0800h EDT).

It was a freak happening, and evidence of what can happen in motorsports in the blink of an eye. It also shows how the safety measures do work (as evidenced by Sutil walking away from the original accident that happened at a higher speed than the second accident at the same place).

Head injuries are tricky things, and I hope the result of this one is more along the line of Massa's (and Richard Hammond's) recovery than Schumacher's.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

""I can confirm that Jules is not, unfortunately, breathing unaided. My understanding is that he is still relying on a respirator at this point to be able to breathe.

"I can also confirm that he has not undergone a second surgical procedure. My understanding is that he went through one medical procedure at about 11pm Japanese time and he has been intensive care since then.""

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/n ··· -f1.html

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

You know it's bad when they don't show any footage of the accident, either in car or from one of the TV cameras. When they released the safety car, I was wondering why the medical car was in front of it, as they hadn't said anything about any wrecks.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by bjf123:

You know it's bad when they don't show any footage of the accident, either in car or from one of the TV cameras. When they released the safety car, I was wondering why the medical car was in front of it, as they hadn't said anything about any wrecks.

I was watching the race both live and in delay to the usual 0800h slot on Sunday morning where F1 usually appears when racing in Europe, and the commentators were wondering why the medical car was in front of it. I have to give kudos to F1 for *not* showing a replay of what happened, even if it left the commentators and fans guessing as to what was going on. It was a stark contrast to NASCAR's endless replays of Dale Sr's crash at Daytona after it happened.

Pjr
Don't Panic
join:2005-12-11
UK

Pjr

There's an interesting article on the BBC about the accident.

The accident during the Japanese Grand Prix that left Marussia driver Jules Bianchi in hospital with severe head injuries is an illustration of the unsolvable and sometimes terrible paradox at the heart of motor racing.

No-one wants to see racing drivers hurt, and yet it is an inescapable reality that the very possibility of it is a part of what makes Formula 1 such an intoxicating draw for its participants and the millions who watch it around the world.

It has been 20 years since the last driver fatality at a grand prix, when the loss of Ayrton Senna kick-started a renewed drive for greater safety that continues to this day.

Yet all the drivers know that they are risking their lives every time they zip up their fireproof overalls, strap on their helmets and head out on to the race track to do what they love. It's an adrenalin fix that those who have experienced it tell you is like nothing else on earth.

Risk is part of the challenge, inherent in why drivers are revered, in the same way people admire the astronauts who went to the moon. They are doing something ordinary mortals could not - and would not - do.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

1 edit

Soho97UK to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

I have to give kudos to F1 for *not* showing a replay of what happened, even if it left the commentators and fans guessing as to what was going on. It was a stark contrast to NASCAR's endless replays of Dale Sr's crash at Daytona after it happened.

There is fairly clear footage on liveleak, taken by a fan. Bianchi comes in quite fast and passes under the rear end of the tractor/digger. He is extremely lucky to be alive - it is also lucky no track staff were killed.

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr

said by Soho97UK:

There is fairly clear footage on liveleak, taken by a fan. Bianchi comes in quite fast and passes under the rear end of the tractor/digger. He is extremely lucky to be alive - it is also lucky nobody else was killed.

I can honestly say that I don't want to see that.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

Soho97UK

Premium Member

said by Pjr:

There isn't actually much to see, it's taken from a distance and is a short glimpse of the car passing under the tractor's rear.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Holy crap! I'm surprised that he wasn't decapitated.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Pjr

MVM

to Pjr
said by Pjr:

said by Soho97UK:

There is fairly clear footage on liveleak, taken by a fan. Bianchi comes in quite fast and passes under the rear end of the tractor/digger. He is extremely lucky to be alive - it is also lucky nobody else was killed.

Ditto.for me....
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Russian GP qualifying.... Toro Rosso doing well and Button came alive a bit. Ferrari - still back...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Rosberg is cracking.... again.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Mercedes powered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5th place finishers. For those of you that have watched F1 for many years, does this type of engine dominance tend to last for years after the type of major changes that came in 2014? Are we in for a few years of Mercedes domination?

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

Usually the FIA likes to step in and regulate this type advantage away. Red Bull was in the dominant position for about 4-5 years until they added enough regulations to put the focus on the engine (which is looking to be the Red Bull weakness...taking Newey's brilliance out of the equation)

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr to KCrimson

to KCrimson
One team will usually dominate until the other teams/manufacturers catch up. If the regulations don't change too much for the next few seasons we could see closer racing.

The Russian GP was one of the worst races I've seen in a long time and it just goes to show how the tyres Pirrelli choose for each GP make the racing closer. (According to the BBC commentators Pirelli didn't have any data on the quality of the track surface so had to make a conservative choice of tyres rather than take some that may only last a few laps before becoming undrivable).

Pirelli are, unsurprisingly, saying their tyre choice wouldn't have improved the race.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I actually didn't think the race was that bad. Had a few exciting passes on turn 3 (which might be counted as one of the new great turns on the F1 calendar). If you toss the Mercedes out...the race in the middle of the pack had some good moments. The F1 bosses might have wanted to stay more conservative/safe after last week as well?

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr

It's all a matter of taste. The dominance of the Mercs this year reminds me of 1988 when McLaren won all but one race; back then the leader would have 1/2 a minute's lead and lap all but 1/2 a dozen cars. Some say the 1980's was a classic era but IMO the racing now is much better.

TBH I didn't expect a great race from a Hermann Tilke designed track so I may be prejudiced. I don't know why but only one of his tracks used for F1 is worthy of being on the calendar.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

Would that be the Circuit of the Americas? That is a pretty cool track. I agree I don't like most of those tracks either but the Sochi track was pretty nice I thought...putting stress on the right front tire where normally the left front gets it.
I'm with you on the dominance of the front team being as boring as all hell. The only time it's exciting is if the teammates hate each other and aren't afraid to crash into one another (which was kind of fun to see a few races ago this year).

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr

Yeah, the Circuit of the Americas could be one of the classic races. All it needs is a corner as demanding as Eau Rouge at Spa or the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.
said by cbrigante2:

The only time it's exciting is if the teammates hate each other and aren't afraid to crash into one another (which was kind of fun to see a few races ago this year).

I don't like it and never have. I remember getting up very early in the morning to see a hard fought race between Senna and Prost for the 1990 championship:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gJDIsRnc

Very disappointing. I put the video on and went back to bed.

You say you like the rivalry between drivers but the rivalry was better in the 1980s (Hmmm, I sound like 19579823 See Profile )

Back then the drivers would publicly criticise each other:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· KkK6odgY

And it wasn't just Senna and Prost but Mansell and Piquet. Piquet was so determined to undermine Mansell that he called Nigel "stupid" and said Nigel's wife was ugly in an interview with Playboy. Mansell's response was to let his driving do the talking.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· _gk-fZcQ

I loved to see Nige kick his arse on the track

It really was like watching a soap opera given the hatred you knew some of the drivers held against the others.

Piquet Vs Salazar

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gHiSR5P4

That was laughable.

This is bringing back loads of memories.