Search similar:

uniqs

Robert1010
Premium Member
join:2007-04-26
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

[Need Info] Why is my download speed with overhead so high!

Why is my download speed with overhead 1792Kbps and my actual download speed
956Kbps. There can't be that much overhead.

Also what is ADSL2+ I now have that?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Actually, ADSL has a fair amount of overhead, TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM Taken together results in 14.4% overhead, which is why Verizon sets sync speed higher than marketing speed. Speed test result should be close to marketing speed, in your case 1500 kbps.

With sync rate of 1792/448 best case download is 1534 kbps down and 385 kbps up. This assumes no other congestion exists within the ISP or Internet. In your case download speed is significantly lower than expected.

ADSL2 and ADSL2+ is second generation DSL circa 2003 that deliver higher maximum speed ADSL2 and longer distance ADSL2+. They have been around for a long time but both sides of the connection need to support it. Verizon does not specifically market ADSL2 vs ADSL enhancements, whether or not you get it is the luck of the draw.

/tom

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

My down speed is 956Kbps and the speed with overhead is 1792Kbps.
Why is this so high. Prez appeal told me they are switching me to a ASLAM. What is a ASLAM? I seems like my overhead is 47%. And now my SNR ranges 7 to 9db and down attenuation is now 61db.

Any Ideas?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Probably congestion somewhere in the network. Is speed always slow or just some of the time? If it varies over the day network congestion is the most likely culprit.

Try running traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like this one. Latency should gradually increase based on hop count and distance. Sudden unexplained jump typically indicates congestion on that hop or previous.

You can also run the line quality test from the Tools page. That is basically the same as running traceroute but directed toward you.

/tom

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

5% loss latency 76.6ms What does it mean?