Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k

Re: [Plumbing] Detonating Toilets

I wouldn't trust any repair kit from a recall, I'd demand a complete replacement product.

Back in the 1980's, my aunt's car was recalled because it could slip out of gear and the most the automaker was required to do was issue warning stickers for the dashboard that warned the driver it could slip out of gear. They weren't required to physically fix the issue.

We had one of those "As Seen on TV" Handy Switches so grandma could control her lamp from the bed, and that was recalled because of a fire hazard. The fix was a cover that went over the electrical part of the unit that I wouldn't trust at all. I took it out of service and didn't bother with the fix, that thing was written off and went on the curb on trash day. These so-called "recall fixes" aren't fixes, they are just to placate regulators and the public into thinking they care about fixing defective and unsafe products. The only way to really fix an unsafe product is to take back the defective product and replace it with one that has been re-engineered and manufactured properly. There is even a children's product manufacturer that is fighting claims that their product is unsafe (I read the Consumerist), these companies push their products with no regard to safety and all they care about is the $$$. In today's business world, it's profits first and people last.

Sadly one of the biggest items that is the subject of recalls is children's products and unfortunately it occurs after a kid is killed as a result.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I wouldn't trust any repair kit from a recall, I'd demand a complete replacement product.

And your demand may be satisfied, or maybe not. But plenty of fixes do fix the fundamental issue and this one certainly is capable of doing that.