Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

1 edit

Speaker tinsel lead replacement

I was curious how hard it would be to do, I just don't know how the tinsel lead connects to the voice coil..

Long story short this speaker (just like the last one) had sound cut in and out.. So when I opened it up for the first time I saw some electrical tape and some wrapped wire around the tinsel lead.. I did scrap the tinsel lead for soldering, it the first time but it did not last too long with 60/40 solder.. these are being played at high music levels..

So my only thing now is to really think about replacing the entire tinsel lead.

I will upload a picture of it.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
said by Subaru:

I did scrap it the first time but it did not last too long with 60/40 solder.. these are being played at high music levels..

wait, if you scrapped the speaker, how is it you are thinking about repairing it? maybe look in your phone book for "speaker repair" or ask a music shop if they know of a place.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
It should of been scraped the tinsel lead for soldering.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Picture

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
First, just use a somewhat longer tinsel than from the terminal to the remaining place, and just solder them together.

If that breaks again, then you may need to figure out connecting the tinsel directly to the voice coil, or at the very least, route it through speaker cone, and solder it to the remaining tinsel on the back.
--
.sig

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
The tinsel connects to the voice coil with a crimp and solder, however I guess it's black epoxy that holds it between the speaker cone.

it's best to just replace the wire, the tinsel leads just burn up when heat is applied which is why it's short in the picture.

What I don't know is what is used for the dust cap for the speaker.
--

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Wasn't there a thread about this in the auto forum a few years back? I think somebody had purchased some *(insert PC term about loud car audio system)* stereo system and the leads to the sub had broken (I think melted) I can't remember the resolution.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Not sure.. you should see this other speaker.. yes another one just like this one lol.. Something must of happened and the whole speaker cone tore the whole diameter of the speaker.. the crazy thing is right near the voice coil.

I might try my hand at reconing that one but wont be able to get to that speaker until May.

Ordered this tinsel lead

»www.ebay.com/itm/290625036664?ss···97.l2649

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

Not sure.. you should see this other speaker.. yes another one just like this one lol.. Something must of happened and the whole speaker cone tore the whole diameter of the speaker.. the crazy thing is right near the voice coil.

I might try my hand at reconing that one but wont be able to get to that speaker until May.

Ordered this tinsel lead

»www.ebay.com/itm/290625036664?ss···97.l2649

how many watts are the speakers rated for, and how many watts are you driving it with? it looks like a +-100 watt speaker that was overdriven to the point of over heating the tinsel!.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
It's 500 W Program 1000 W max

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
mind you the tinsel when I first opened it was already tapped with electrical tape so maybe the guy overloaded it in a huge way..

I will never forget a singer was singing and a puff of smoke came from the speaker on the stage.. one of the caps vented but the timing was crazy.

his words were "I thought it was part of the effects"

haha
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
can 2 part epoxy be used in part of CA black glue?

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

can 2 part epoxy be used in part of CA black glue?

yes, that'll work fine. I like PC-7 epoxy because it gets rock hard, some others are a bit soft, you can dent it with your fingernail. it's better to have the connection not move at all.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Sounds good, the tinsel should be here tomorrow.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Came in today and I don't know if 6" will be enough

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

1 recommendation

That's what she said!

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Subaru
Raid the Christmas decoration box and get more tinsel!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
lol vaporizing on the first sound

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru
Question I have the dust cap open and the tinsel and the voice coil wire have what looks to be some kind of crimp connect on it, I don't know the name of it but I've seen them about before.. looks like a flat bar but can be crimped closed

Well anyways I need to figure out how to remove it and save it if possible.

*edit I guess it would be called a ferrule

*edit or a close trim would work...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Well it started off well today and at the end it was back to square one again.. not sure solder will work for that area.. I mean I coated the area with epoxy as well.

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

Well it started off well today and at the end it was back to square one again.. not sure solder will work for that area.. I mean I coated the area with epoxy as well.

you mean you tried to solder the tinsel lead to the voice coil, and it didn't work? you can go to an auto parts store, and get some butt connectors, and cut it in a small part with a dremel, then use that to crimp the wires together(tin the speaker lead first).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
It worked but I'm saying what happened was the speaker sounded fine today as in playing loud.. but near the end the speaker was cutting in and out.. or if it did play it was very distorted.. and almost sounded like you had coins laying on the face of the cone while someone was playing a keyboard.

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

It worked but I'm saying what happened was the speaker sounded fine today as in playing loud.. but near the end the speaker was cutting in and out.. or if it did play it was very distorted.. and almost sounded like you had coins laying on the face of the cone while someone was playing a keyboard.

If you push the cone in and out with your fingers, and you hear a scratching sound, then the speakers voice coil has burned out from too much power fed to it. maybe they aren't really rated for what they claim.. and you said the other speaker got ripped bad, that's a very good sign of being overdriven. it looks like you need to find quality speakers that are truly rated for the power you are putting into it.

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL
reply to Subaru
The speaker is blown. You can get kits to replace the voice coil and what not. But it would be much easier to just replace the speaker.

Most speakers get destroyed from over running the amp into clipping(distortion). When an amp clips, you are effectively doubling the wattage to the speaker, But the speaker turns the extra wattage to heat.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by theboz1419:

When an amp clips, you are effectively doubling the wattage to the speaker,

Care to explain how?

Clipping will increase the high frequency content so the tweeters may be in danger, but the speaker in this thread looked like a woofer.
--
.sig

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Subaru
I suspect that the damage to the woofer was already there previously, and while you were able to patch up the tinsel lead, you still had failure. I recommend you take the woofer in and get it reconed and be done with it.

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL
reply to aurgathor
»en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

»www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

That's just a couple link of links could find an just a few minutes while I had a little bit of time before work. There are many more

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to ArthurS
Not sure if they are going to need it since they will be downsizing in speakers.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to theboz1419
said by theboz1419:

The speaker is blown. You can get kits to replace the voice coil and what not. But it would be much easier to just replace the speaker.

Most speakers get destroyed from over running the amp into clipping(distortion). When an amp clips, you are effectively doubling the wattage to the speaker, But the speaker turns the extra wattage to heat.

So I assume since the speaker played fine for the first hour or so fine then later it started going in and out.. I assume from the heat?
--

iknow_t

reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by theboz1419:

When an amp clips, you are effectively doubling the wattage to the speaker,

Care to explain how?

Clipping will increase the high frequency content so the tweeters may be in danger, but the speaker in this thread looked like a woofer.

this explains it. »www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm also, the duty cycle is increased, music don't have a high duty cycle, when not clipped.