All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
flare4000
join:2011-08-03

flare4000

Cancelling Rogers TV

So I just cancelled with rogers and the person had no idea about TPIA, I really don't want to deal with a disconnect so I am trying to take any precautions that I can. So does anyone have any advice? I know that I should put a tag stating that I have TPIA on a box outside of my house, but what does that box look like. Thanks
vicmaxabc
join:2014-03-16
Canada

vicmaxabc

I've been there, done that. I've told the technician in person that I have TPIA and he responded "I don't care, I have to complete the ticket by physically disconnecting the cable, you'll have to call your company to get it reconnected."

At that time I was with Acanac

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Wow, never heard of a tech doing that before. Sounds pretty much like mischief under Section 430 of Canadian law to me, specifically 430(1)(d). »laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/ ··· 430.html
HowieDoin
join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON

HowieDoin to flare4000

to flare4000
Only REAL thing you can do to avoid this is to actually pull up a chair and stare out your front window until the tech arrive, run outside and REMIND him....quickly check your internet before he drives away.....Sad, but this is the only fail-safe that exists.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to vicmaxabc

Premium Member

to vicmaxabc
said by vicmaxabc:

I've been there, done that. I've told the technician in person that I have TPIA and he responded "I don't care, I have to complete the ticket by physically disconnecting the cable, you'll have to call your company to get it reconnected."

Man oh man.

I'm cancelling Rogers TV soon.

If anything like this happens to me there will be an epic shit storm.

Mike
flare4000

flare4000

Well I googled what the box looks like and it turns out that it is in my backyard... so I'm assuming someone will need to be home for the tech to do his thing so at least we can tell him that we have TPIA, hopefully he understands...
Donkey3k
join:2013-05-27

Donkey3k

Sometimes the disconnect occurs at the street. That's what happened in my case. I think its less rare now, but can still happen from time to time. If you haven't already done so, call in and make sure that the note is on the service ticket.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to flare4000

to flare4000
I had TV cut recently and everything went smoothly, so at least some of the times things work our nicely for the customer!
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to vicmaxabc

to vicmaxabc
said by vicmaxabc:

"I don't care, I have to complete the ticket by physically disconnecting the cable, you'll have to call your company to get it reconnected."

Then your answer is "Get off my property"

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to flare4000

to flare4000
This "almost" happened to me.

The issue is that the sub-contractor who comes out is paid by the job, so for them it does not matter what your situation is (hell if he has to come out twice for a disconnect and reconnection all the better for him).

My situation was as follows:

Coincidentally Rcable had an outage a couple of days after I was connected to start. I immediately thought I had been disconnected so I went outside to the cable box and saw a blue tag on my line (this means the line is identified for a disconnection). I called Start CS and the raised a ticket to Rogers. A couple of days later a technician shoed up and put an Official TPIA tag on my line.

I should also note that I had put some "TPIA" tags on my line before any of this happened, but as I said above, that does not matter. When a job is initiated, it is done.

I do not know what the correct process is, but the most you can really do is let Rogers know that you are going with a TPIA (and do not believe anyone who says they do not know what you are talking about... but even if they do, that will still not stop them from initiating a ticket to cut the line, as you have no services with them).

Maybe rocca can interject, but I would ask Start CS to raise a ticket. It is a waste of everyone's time, but it is the end customer who suffers the most.
HowieDoin
join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON

HowieDoin

This is the 2nd thread regarding this recently. Clearly it is a problem for those that have been affected, and those that are concerned that it MIGHT affect them. As I posted above, grab a chair and watch for the tech to come.....between the hours of 8am and 6pm....
Expand your moderator at work

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to flare4000

to flare4000

Re: Cancelling Rogers TV

Cancelled about 9 months ago placed a note in a ziplock bag on the rogers box TPIA do not disconnect. I had no issues, i hope all goes well for you! Box is usually a grey box about 8" x 8" x 4" with conduit coming up through the bottom of it.
flare4000

flare4000

Thanks everyone I have already called both START and Rogers and they both told me to tell the other so no hope there. I will put a tag on my box and speak to the technician if possible but fingers crossed from here on.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by flare4000:

Thanks everyone I have already called both START and Rogers and they both told me to tell the other so no hope there. I will put a tag on my box and speak to the technician if possible but fingers crossed from here on.

FWIW, I just called Rogers and cancelled TV, and notified Start as well (note added to account). Last day of Rogers service is April 28.

Mike

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to flare4000

Premium Member

to flare4000
I'm pretty sure the TPIA tag needs to be on the Rogers side of the cabling. When you cancel Rogers internet they very rarely do anything at your house unless they come to put a filter on your line (to neuter analog TV).

At least the last cancellation I had there was no changes to the house or any wiring around it; the line was made 'cold' a few months later on the other end.

I think tagging any notes to your on-house hardware is probably isn't going to change if/if not you get disconnected or not. Seems to be just luck of the draw.

Can't hurt though.

Sadly Rogers only seems to have reliable systems for determining what connections are "in use" if those connections are actually receiving Rogers services.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

The only issue is, what would someone be prepared to do about, should their TPIA service be tampered with by Rogers. After all, even if they cut it then come back a day or two later and fix it, it's still their cable, still their last mile.

If you lay criminal charges, or sue, or bitch to the CRTC, all manner of mysterious things can start happening to your connection. You're dealing with a company - Rogers - with a long sordid track record of incompetence, dishonesty, and predatory/anti-competitive behaviour. It's a bloody nasty outfit.

Mike