Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Are there any serious contenders?

Is there any serious contender to replace Outlook within a Win7x64 install please?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by Ugly:

Is there any serious contender to replace Outlook within a Win7x64 install please?

What are your goals? Do you want it to access an exchange server?

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
No. Only POP and IMAP. Thanks and sorry for not being clear. My bad.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

1 edit
Believe it or not, I still use thunderbird... keep waiting for the updated concept from mozilla, but until then thunderbird is a very usable imap client. Now if you are after a combined calendar solution mixed in then thunderbird isn't very strong, that is what they are working on for the next iteration I think I remember reading.

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbir ··· derbird/
»portableapps.com/apps/internet/t ··· portable

Just found this if you need calendar with thunderbird:
»www.mozilla.org/en-US/projects/c ··· alendar/

Windows always had a decent internal mail client and on 7 if you want to just use the software that comes with windows there is always Windows Essentials (look at how happy that person being paid to use the product in the stockphoto there is):

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ··· iewother

I have not used it much, but in the limited setup and use I have given it it seems ok.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
I'm still using Thunderbird... v3.1.11 (POP/IMAP hasn't changed much since Y2K [and before]).

I stopped using Outlook in favor of Thunderbird many years ago. Then Gmail came along, and I started using that (in a browser--Firefox, of course) for the most part; then Google started screwing with the UI and I've been using Tb a lot more of late--simple and to the point (and mostly either simple HTML or plain text for viewing).

eM Client also works well if one is interested in using all of the features--email, contacts, tasks, calendaring (for Gmail, Yahoo, and Microsoft accounts).

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Ugly
Add another vote for Thunderbird.

Before switching to Thunderbird many years ago, I also used Outlook. However, what did it for me was the fact that every time I would re-install my OS, I would have to do a bunch of extra steps inside of Outlook to get my address book to display correctly. This was with either Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007, so maybe the problem has been fixed. My understanding at the time was that all I would need to save was the .PST file, as it contained everything (e-mails, contacts, usernames, passwords, etc). While it did have my contact list, it was not always displaying right after a re-install of outlook. I just got fed up with it, and looked for something easier. Since I was using Firefox at the time, I came across Thunderbird and never looked back.

In any case, if all you need is a simple e-mail client to connect to gmail, Thunderbird is your answer. I have a gmail account and it works great from Thunderbird. Of course, my connection is POP instead of IMAP, but I have read great things about how Thunderbird handles that as well.

If you do need some kind of calendar, you can get an add-on to Thunderbird called Lightening, as dib22 See Profile pointed out. I use that too, and it is very simple and easy to use.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to Ugly
I switched to Thunderbird years ago, and like it...
My $.02
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
kudos:1
reply to Ugly
I hope the Thunderbird client is a lot more secure than it was in those early days.

Free or paid?

Opera browser.
Microsoft Live/Outlook.com
Gmail

How secure does it need to be?
Web mail or ISP private/mail etc, even though you might expect security from both, there are throw-away accounts and private email accounts.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to Ugly
Good luck getting support and problems resolved in a timely manner if you use Thunderbird.
--
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
I hadn't thought about this but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't use GMail or Thunderbird.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
reply to norwegian
Willing to pay.
Security is a must!
Yet did not think this possible.
There is something that beats illegal NSA snooping? If not, then nothing is truly secure.

Not doing throw-away.
These addresses/accounts are many years old and will not change.
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
reply to Ugly
Looking hard at Thunderbird.

• QUESTION: Can one easily import message archives and account settings from an Outlook *.pst please?
--

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Ugly
said by Ugly:

There is something that beats illegal NSA snooping?

The NSA isn't interested in you so quit wasting your time with that internet jolly.

taoman54

join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA
reply to Ugly
said by Ugly:

You're running Outlook 2010 which is a superb e-mail client.....especially for accessing Gmail. What is your problem with Outlook?

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to howardfine
another +1 for Thunderbird.
As to TBird support, I have used the user community forum on two occasions and had answers within minutes both times.

My expensive but bug ridden installation of Outlook remains unused.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Ugly
I've not used these so can not comment but others have suggested these to me.

InScribe (paid)
»www.memecode.com/scribe.php
The Bat
»www.ritlabs.com/en/products/theb ··· /thebat/

eM Client
»www.emclient.com/
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Ugly
said by Ugly:

If not, then nothing is truly secure.

Email is not secure... it is sent clear text from server to server during delivery... anyone with access to nodes that your data goes through can read every email.

Repeat: email is NOT secure.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
said by dib22:

Repeat: email is NOT secure.

Yes, agree completely.

So a question. Is Thunderbird easily encrypted please? ~ Thank you!
--

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
I would suggest you read this:

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/dig ··· messages

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to Ugly
Been using this for years and I will not change.

»www.postbox-inc.com/

edit: oh yeah, it cost me fifty bucks.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to Ugly
Take a look at Pegasus:

»www.pmail.com/overviews.htm

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to Ugly
One thing to remember is that there is no security whatsoever with email. You can use SSL encryption to secure the connection between you and the server, but as soon as it arrives there it is stored in formats for sending it out, and if the receiving end does not use SSL it's pretty much plain text from your end till theirs.

If you want to secure email, you have to use a program like PGP where both sender and receiver have a encryption and decryption key. Bottom line is that email is not secure and can EASILY be read by the sysadmin of your provider, without any trace left that they have done so. Gmail is a lot safer then pop3 based mail, and gmail has secured VPNs between their mail servers now. So at this moment gmail is actually one of the better solutions for privacy.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by maartena:

So at this moment gmail is actually one of the better solutions for privacy.

How can you say that? Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail. There is not even any privacy for unsuspecting NON Gmail users who naively send email to Gmail users! There are current lawsuits (just denied class action status) against Google for reading AND STORING FOREVER any mail coming to a despicable Gmail recipient from a non Gmail naive sender.

I rarely use email for anything other than list servs and to get Microsoft bulletins, etc. I no longer communicate with others via email because of Gmail and the fact that some Gmail users are so especially despicable as to hide the fact that all their email addresses go into Gmail so the user cannot trust that an email address appearing to not be a Gmail one really is not going to Gmail. Gmail, as far as privacy goes, is on par with Facebook for being utterly and totally despicable.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Good luck getting support and problems resolved in a timely manner if you use Thunderbird.

I wouldn't use Thunderbird in a corporate setting. For personal use, I have no qualms with using it. My wife and I love it.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by maartena:

So at this moment gmail is actually one of the better solutions for privacy.

How can you say that? Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail.

They are the only provider that use VPN encryption between their email servers. They are not so pleased about the NSA. So maybe you are right in a sense that THEY (Google) can read the mail, but at this moment the NSA can't touch it. Of course all bets are off if you send outside the Gmail domain.

Regardless, e-mail is one of the worst methods of communication when it comes to privacy and security.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20

2 edits
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail. There is not even any privacy for unsuspecting NON Gmail users who naively send email to Gmail users! There are current lawsuits (just denied class action status) against Google for reading AND STORING FOREVER any mail coming to a despicable Gmail recipient from a non Gmail naive sender.

I rarely use email for anything other than list servs and to get Microsoft bulletins, etc. I no longer communicate with others via email because of Gmail and the fact that some Gmail users are so especially despicable as to hide the fact that all their email addresses go into Gmail so the user cannot trust that an email address appearing to not be a Gmail one really is not going to Gmail. Gmail, as far as privacy goes, is on par with Facebook for being utterly and totally despicable.

You do realize Google scans, indexes, and stores forever all of the things you write publicly on this site and others? Partly to insert personalized ads when displaying searches results, but mostly to use as results for ANYONE searching. Not good when you tend to use the same unique user name multiple places for years.

Mine doesn't get you much as this is the only site I use it and it gets buried on searches by a famous celebrity Dr.:
»encrypted.google.com/search?q=%2 ··· rdrew%22
Your user name gets alot specific to you, since it's pretty uncommon:
»encrypted.google.com/search?q=me ··· q=mele20

Will you stop using Google Search or stop posting on public message boards because of that?

Not that it matters, you've written and continue to write all sorts of interesting personal details on multiple sites you can't get rid of now... BTW, Happy 70th Birthday Mele20!!!
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by DrDrew:

Not good when you tend to use the same unique user name multiple places for years.

Mine doesn't get you much as this is the only site I use it and it gets buried on searches by a famous celebrity Dr.Drew

Very interesting! Tried Googling my nym. Pretty much useful for learning Norse/Norman (Normandy) history. Pretty useless for learning about myself.

»www.google.com/search?client=ope ··· oe=UTF-8
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
reply to Ugly
It is hard to trust Google, as other posters have reasonably pointed out.

And to be truly fair, one should expect something free to be sucky somehow in return for the zero cost. One pays in foregone privacy or in currency. But one always pays!

It is more disappointing that one cannot trust our government.

I'm really thinking of a non-Windows alternative, yet not Apple either.

The entire email function is such an annoyance. Convenient, cost-effective and useful to the point of being a necessity yet a risk for privacy that keeps changing, with new products, threats, and issues every day. This is a lot of work to keep current!

There are no other appliances that evolve so quickly and involve such risk with use.

The real problem is larger than just an email client:

• I'm wishing there was a complete list of well-supported Operating Systems and their respective compatible email clients. Links welcome!

• You see, replacing Outlook is really about overcoming the constraints of where Microsoft has allowed a must-have software to run.

Instead of asking where besides Windows does Outlook run (SFAIK, the only alternative is on Apple); one can ask a much better question.

Where can (replacement for Outlook) run. This returns a much larger pool of candidates.

So if it is to be Thunderbird, Pegasus, Postbox, Gmail, or another (no disrespect intended if anyone listed was not mentioned); the eventual goal is to run on something else, perhaps a Linux or whatever.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 recommendations

reply to NormanS
Wrong search string; try this one:

»www.google.com/search?q=Oh+Lord, ··· the+Drum

(the point being that any reasonably-unique identification you adopt, used consistently, will result in leaving a trail)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by dave:

Wrong search string; try this one:

(the point being that any reasonably-unique identification you adopt, used consistently, will result in leaving a trail)

True enough. I keep track of my Usenet posts by a common MID$, too; involves a vanity domain that I own.

But then, I am not really all that concerned. I find it richly ironic that Mele20 See Profile refuses to communicate with her "despicable" friends via email because of the "despicable" tracking of Google and Yahoo!", while using her very own unique UID online.

Interesting thing is, you really need to know something more personal than just a person's name to "DOX" the person. And even the most avid privacy nut usually leaves enough "breadcrumbs" for a determined stalker to locate them. I just don't have the self-discipline to drop off the grid entirely; I doubt if either Mele20 See Profile, or Dude111 See Profile do, as well.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum