Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to DKS

to DKS

Re: [Rant] Cowboys and Indians' photo sparks controversy

said by DKS:

No, I'm cool with Newfie humour. Polish jokes and such are usually the same bad joke that puts someone down.

Jokes that put newfies down, a-ok! Jokes that can put other people down, not ok! Some animals are more equal than others too.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Mashiki:

said by DKS:

No, I'm cool with Newfie humour. Polish jokes and such are usually the same bad joke that puts someone down.

Jokes that put newfies down, a-ok! Jokes that can put other people down, not ok! Some animals are more equal than others too.

True Newfie humour is not put-down humour.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Net Citizen

Premium Member

to Net Citizen
No the rule is white or right wing or Christians can be mocked or insulted by anyone but they themselves can't make a joke about anyone else it's not allowed.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

quote:
Rooney Mara will fly to Neverland to play native American princess Tiger Lily in Pan, an upcoming Peter Pan remake, but the casting decision has prompted some not-so-happy thoughts.

The story of Peter Pan was written by a man from Scotland, and the rights are owned by Great Ormond Street Hospital of London, England. (Though a few years back Fox TV pulled some weasel thing to avoid paying royalties to the hospital).

(Sorry to have offended weasels by a negative stereotype).

-----

Americans had nothing to do with the creation of Tiger Lily who (as noted) sprung from the mind of J. M. Barrie.

I suppose it's a Scotsman's caricature of an Native American Indian.

For Americans to be blamed for all of the world's problems is yet another stereotype, I am afraid.

We'll take responsibility for many things, but not quite all.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

I take responsibility for nothing. Call crazy but if I had nothing to do with it the crap is not on me. I could give two carps what race did what to each other and I don't even care if it were my family members I myself had nothing to do with me.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

It's about time that we also banned Mark Twain's racist books and Shakespeare's horrible plays that are plagued by racism, sexism and even antisemitism.

How can we continue accepting our children learning about that in high school?

Perhaps if we edit the words of Shakespeare to ensure overly sensitive people aren't harmed? Hmmm...
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
Sanitizing history is dumb. We should learn from our mistakes and build a better society. So, no I am not in favor of rewriting history or censoring works of great art...

A Model T would fair today's standards for safety and emissions however it can not be judged by today's standards but in the period of time it was created. The same for Clemens and Shakespeare...
vue666

vue666 (banned) to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

Roman Empire ended a long time ago. There aren't any Romans left to ask. There are still Native Chiefs in North America.

Now, if they were the Ottawa Wops, then you'd have a point.

You're grasping at straws, Ken.

Oh...I thought Rome was still a thriving city in Italy...full of Romans...and as I said earlier many claim the Roman Catholic Church is the old Holy Roman Empire...

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yes, and the Austrian-Hugarian Empire is still thriving because there are still two countries named Austria and Hungary.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

Uh-huh. So it's a case of "it's perfectly okay, if it fits my specific view point." And having heard "true newfie humor" it's about the same as a Jew giving an anti-semetic joke.

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

3 recommendations

Tenar to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Mashiki:

said by DKS:

Every joke I know makes newfoundlanders out to be stupid morons. You think those are a-ok?

What a hypocrite.
vue666 (banned)

to TOPDAWG
Take a typical Newfie joke and replace any reference to Newfie or Newfoundland with a black/negro reference or Native Americans or French or... And it would be considered to be in very bad taste..

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Tenar

Premium Member

to Tenar
This article seems to capture the potential negativity behind put down jokes. ie you can get yourself into shyt at work if directed to the wrong audience.
»www.laughterremedy.com/a ··· mor.html

The Negative Side of Humor: Put-Down Jokes
Paul McGhee, PhD, www.LaughterRemedy.com

"If there is no malice in your heart, there can't be none in your jokes," Will Rogers

[Adapted from P. McGhee, Health, Healing and the Amuse System: Humor as Survival Training. Call 800-228-0810 to order.]

Other articles at this website show that appropriately-timed humor on the job has the power to break down barriers between fellow employees and build positive connections or bonds in their place. Shared positive laughter promotes team building and helps teams communicate more openly and honestly. It supports the bottom line by helping us sustain peak levels of performance with an increasing pace of change, and the inevitable stress that goes with change.

We've all seen situations, however, where humor alienates people and creates barriers. The problem here, of course, is the kind of humor employees use on the job. Humor that disrupts and weakens teams is generally some kind of put-down humor—humor in which there is a clear victim or butt of the joke. This kind of humor always feels like "laughing at" rather than "laughing with."

It seems to be part of human nature to tell jokes which poke fun at other groups or individuals. Entire countries are often known for their specific brand of put-down humor. When I lived in Paris for three years (in the 1980s), I discovered that the French loved to poke fun at the Belgians. A favorite butt of Canadian jokes is people from Newfoundland ("Newfie jokes"). When I taught at Texas Tech University in the early 1980's, everyone I knew told "Aggie" jokes (putting down students from Texas A & M University).

If you know a lot of jokes poking fun at other racial or ethnic groups, the opposite sex, etc., and tell them on the job, it's just a matter of time until you seriously offend someone (even if they laugh at your joke). With increasing levels of cultural diversity emerging in most work settings, the best rule of thumb is to simply not tell any put-down jokes on the job. A joke which you assume will not offend your listeners can easily offend someone within earshot of the joke, even though you're not telling it to that person. If you must tell these jokes, save them for your friends when you're outside the office. The one exception to this rule is that it's generally OK to tell jokes putting down your company's main competitors. For example, if you work for Coca-Cola, it's always safe to poke fun at Pepsi.

In my programs, I often put myself at risk by telling a joke which demonstrates the offensive nature of put-down humor. For example, in the year or so after Bill Clinton was elected President, there were a lot of "Hillary jokes" going around. I ask my audience, "Who's most likely to be offended by this joke?"

Bill Clinton is walking out of the Arkansas State Fair carrying a pig under his arm, and on the way out he runs into a farmer he used to know when he was Governor. The farmer says, "Hey Bill, what's with the pig?" Clinton answers, "I got it for Hillary." The farmer thinks about it and says, "Good swap."

The audience quickly points out that most women and many democrats, and certainly Hillary, would be offended by the joke. And yet employees in companies across the country can still be found sharing such jokes around the coffee machine, walking down the hall, etc.

In one company I spoke to recently, an employee was fired for loading offensive jokes onto the computers of fellow-employees (they would see the jokes when they logged onto their computer). He assumed no one would know who fed the jokes into the system—an assumption which cost him his job.

Those who love put-down jokes complain that the workplace has just become too sensitive, and that those who are offended by their jokes need to "lighten up" a bit. While I earn a living helping people overcome "terminal seriousness" and begin taking themselves more lightly (while continuing to take their work seriously), I understand perfectly well why people are offended by jokes putting down other groups.

The joke-teller generally says something like, "Hey, it's just a joke. I was only kidding. What's the matter, can't you take a joke?" The only problem is that unless you know the teller very well, you can never be sure whether the joke does or does not say something about their true underlying attitudes about the opposite sex or another racial or ethic group. There are enough people who do hold hostile attitudes toward the groups they put down in their jokes that, anyone who does not know you well will assume that you fall in this category. Since this can only disrupt the effectiveness with which you work together, the best approach is clearly to find another way to show your sense of humor on the job.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to Mashiki

to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

said by DKS:

Other than a resurgence as blond jokes in the 90s, I thought ethnic put down humour was a relic of the 70s. Maybe it's a primary school thing. I just can't remember the last time I heard one.
Expand your moderator at work
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

to TOPDAWG

Re: [Rant] Cowboys and Indians' photo sparks controversy

Here's what this person from Newfoundland says about "Newfie" jokes....And YES I fully realize it is from a blog....
quote:
The common factor with words like “Nigger”, “Kyke” and “Polack” is their ability to lower the status of an entire people and to verbally assault those people by making them feel belittled and uncomfortable. Use of the word “Newfie” is no different than using those other words, so why is its use still acceptable in an age when using those other words is not?

»freenewfoundlandlabrador ··· her.html

The author of the following identifiers herself as a feminist and this is what she posts about 'newfie' jokes...
quote:
Having grown up in Nova Scotia, I was exposed to more than my fair share of jokes about people from Newfoundland from a very young age. It wasn’t until I moved to Ontario and started being called a “Newfie” that these “jokes” assumed a new meaning. All “Newfie” jokes are organized around one central theme: stupidity. When I told these jokes as a Nova Scotian, I was empowered by them – next to the “silly” Newfoundlander, I was clearly more intelligent and superior. My ability to “get” and reproduce the joke further reinforced my own sense of intelligence and power. Once I became the target of these jokes, however, their meaning changed – they became very disempowering. What’s so funny about being made to feel stupid? Yet, if I didn’t laugh at these jokes, I simply reinforced the stereotypes they produced, illustrating that I just didn’t “get” the joke because I wasn’t smart enough to understand it.

»activehistory.ca/2013/02 ··· assment/