Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Cell Service ... Pay More and More and More

The big 3 just don't get it ... or they do ... that they can milk the public.

Strange that all 3 did this in lockstep!

Pay at least $5 more for a smart phone plan now see the story here ...

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireles···.2575886

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

1 recommendation

They're learning a lot from the oil companies.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

1 recommendation

reply to sbrook

and thats why I could care less about smart phones. My current pay as you go phone cost me $100/yr and they're lucky I give them that.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to sbrook

500MB of data for 80 bucks, they are on serious crack

They are smelling blood in the water and figure Moblicity and Wind don';t have much longer, and are waiting to hose all those $30/month users.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to sbrook

So much for 2 year only contracts.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

4 recommendations

reply to sbrook

And how is this not price fixing, or collusion?
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

reply to The Flash

Everyone knew they'd make up for the loss of revenue, they've taken 3yrs of income and shoved into two.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Mere coincidence.
--

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by elwoodblues:

Mere coincidence.

Yes. They all decided to hike their prices and gouge customers even more exactly the same time. No collusion there at all...

So, 80 bucks now for 500 megs of data plan.. So why is anyone still with them again besides being locked in a contract?

Did their "Discount" brands also raise their prices? If they did not, I would not be surprised if they did so soon.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by BGB:

said by elwoodblues:

Mere coincidence.

Yes. They all decided to hike their prices and gouge customers even more exactly the same time. No collusion there at all...

So, 80 bucks now for 500 megs of data plan.. So why is anyone still with them again besides being locked in a contract?

Did their "Discount" brands also raise their prices? If they did not, I would not be surprised if they did so soon.

You realize I was being sarcastic right?
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to sbrook

Somebody has to pay for all the new towers they are putting up.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to BGB

said by BGB:

said by elwoodblues:

Mere coincidence.

Actually it was not at the same time. Telus announced these price hikes almost a month ago and advertised it on their website. Telus offered a promotional discount for a "limited time" to bring their new increased pricing on par with their peers. Once Telus expired their promotional pricing, Bell and Rogers copied Telus's plans.

The discount brands also raised their prices as well.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to sbrook

Makes me happy I'm with WIND... Infact if Wind would expand faster, I would gladly pay 10 to 20 more a month based on my current plan offering. It still would be less than ROBELLUS

Soiduts

join:2002-04-02
Ontario
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy DSL

I've been very happy with WIND's service and signal quality. Only have had issues when roaming on Rogers network. $80 for any of those plans is way too much. The government and CRTC are utterly useless in protecting Canadian citizens from this oligarchies predatory pricing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to sbrook

Smartphone plans don't start at $80. That's just bad reporting, and completely false.

Go look at Rogers plans. Their "share-everything unlimited-everything-but-data" family plans start at $80... their regular smartphone plans start at $50, or $39 on their flanker brands.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

Makes me happy I'm with WIND... Infact if Wind would expand faster, I would gladly pay 10 to 20 more a month based on my current plan offering. It still would be less than ROBELLUS

and if WIND had the same coverage and expansion as the large companies they wouldn't be able to afford it or would have to charge more.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to DKS

we have already been paying for those towers and MORE for another 10 years with all those 6.95 fees they used to charge us.

what did you think it was free? we paid for those towers

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to sbrook

fido and koodo

virgin
Koodo and Fido, price change happened an hour in
between each company posting their new rates.

than came Virgin..

The only reason I think they are raising their rates so much is because of what happened with wind and their owners basically giving them the finger.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Donate enough money to political parties, and ensure the regulatory agencies are stacked with your cronies. Collusion? What collusion?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to sbrook

Here's question, how many will drop their service?
The answer of "none" is why this will never change, and will continue to get more expensive.
--
~ Project Hope ~

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

How about don't get their data service at all. I don't know why you all have to have data in the first place.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

Hey, don't look at me, I don't even have a dumb phone.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

How about don't get their data service at all. I don't know why you all have to have data in the first place.

Because cell phone manufacturers market their products as fashion items. Unfortunately most people can't afford to buy these items at full price so they fall into the trap of paying carriers a lot of money in exchange for getting these fashion items at a very low upfront cost.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Somebody has to pay for all the new towers they are putting up.

Somebody has to pay for all the bonuses and golden parachutes.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to sbrook

No one forces you to have cell phone service. You want it you need to pay for it.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

No, no one does ... but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be priced fairly.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by HiVolt:

Donate enough money to political parties, and ensure the regulatory agencies are stacked with your cronies. Collusion? What collusion?

Given the full on assault the Feds have been staging against the cellco's - there's not much political contribution going on...

As for collusion, telus announced the rate change a while back; the others just followed suit.

No different then the gas companies...

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

No, no one does ... but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be priced fairly.

Who decides 'fair'? - the Feds have been staging attack ad's saying 'we pay too much' - without really understanding the business.

What's a cell site cost to develop? What's a mobile voice switch cost? What's the hydro bill for a cell site over a year?

I don't know if the price is fair or not - I do know that there's no comparison to any other market in the world; with the low population density, challenging geography, etc... So saying phone are cheaper in Korea, data is faster in Japan, prices are lower in the US will never be an apples to apples comparison.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

As for collusion, telus announced the rate change a while back; the others just followed suit.

Which is why there needs to be even more regulation. Industries need to compete. As it is they offer the same low service for high prices.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

said by koreyb:

and if WIND had the same coverage and expansion as the large companies they wouldn't be able to afford it or would have to charge more.

Or they'd have more customers and bring in more revenue, thus amortizing the common expenses (call centre, billing system, advertising) over more customers, thereby lowing their break-even/increasing their profits.