spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lorieb
@buckeyecom.net

lorieb

Anon

[Help] 94 chevy s10 won't start when cold

4 cylinder, 2.2 So far, the coolant temp sensor was replaced, the O2 sensor, the egr valve, fuel pump and new plugs ,wires and new battery and no change. It starts up fine when it's warm out, like 35-40 degrees. It will start with starter fluid into the throttle body. When it's cold it will just crank and not start. Also, idles rough like it wants to stall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Check anything that deals with vacuum. Look for any leaks of vacuum. Make sure the entire exhaust system is not leaking. I had some problems similar to yours and had to replace or repair various components in the intake, vacuum, and exhaust systems in order to get the problem to go away. Gaskets go bad.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to lorieb

Premium Member

to lorieb
It could be the IAC (Idle control valve) take it out and give a good cleaning.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to lorieb

Premium Member

to lorieb
OK, now that you've blown a few hundred bucks, stop just throwing parts at it. Hook up a real-time scanner and see what temp the ECM thinks the engine coolant is. I believe that engine has 2 coolant sensors. One for the gauge and another for the ECM. Did you swap the correct one?

If the ECM is being told that the engine temp is 40, when it's really 10, you can get a no-start condition. The ECM injects extra fuel when the engine is cold, to simulate setting the choke on a carb. If the ECM sees the wrong temp then it won't inject the correct amount of fuel and you either get a no-start or a really rough start. The colder the temp, the more important it is for the mixture to be enriched properly.

namehere
@optonline.net

namehere

Anon

However that truck likely has OBD1, good luck getting anything out of that computer, the parts will likely need to be tested IN the truck using a multi meter or removed (likely what the manual will tell you to do).

o2 sensor has NOTHING to do with starting so I would recommend you go to another place or if you are doing this yourself, stop and bring it somewhere...

Egr is emissions... should not effect starting

Fuel pump would likely not have issues ONLY when cold.

Plugs and wires never hurt if they have some age

Battery would stop it from cranking again, not starting.

A good place to start would be making sure the temp sensor is working and the right one was replaced.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by namehere :

However that truck likely has OBD1, good luck getting anything out of that computer, the parts will likely need to be tested IN the truck using a multi meter or removed (likely what the manual will tell you to do).

My old AutoXray OBD I scanner has no problem showing me live data. I find it quite handy for getting a real time look at what's going on under the hood.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to namehere

to namehere
said by namehere :

ODB 1 gives live values, just not as detailed or as many as ODB 2.