uniqs

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff

Re: [OOL] Mediocre upload speeds

said by Thinkdiff:

just their real upload issues, not the ones made up randomly.
...pointing out obviously illogical conclusions, or is that too difficult?

So when I say my single-connection FTP uploads are limited to approximately 10 Mbps, am I making that up randomly or just being illogical?

Third possibility: It's REAL and it HAPPENS due to CV's network configuration. Duh!
Boooost

Boooost to Ghoul

Anon

to Ghoul
said by Ghoul:

After experiencing the same behavior in numerous office locations where we have BOOL, complaining and escalating this problem for months, and guess what? At a single location, where we have exploicitly told BOOL that the artificial single stream limitation of 10Mbps is causing us serious issues, it stopped happening. I asked why we can max out a single thread at this location, and was only told they "changed the configuration at the Network Operations Center".

Which fits with what I have been saying for months.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Given he reported it and in more detail, in the same thread you decided it was happening why are you surprised that he says it again?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff to Ghoul

MVM,

to Ghoul
How does "I highly doubt that" mean "throttling can't possibly be happening"?

I was having a back and forth conversation with TheWiseGuy See Profile discussing the possibility that OOL is specifically targeting FTP transfers. I stated my opinion (that I doubt it), but could not prove it. Basically, agree to disagree because neither of us could prove what was happening definitively. What is so bad or wrong about that statement?

I have provided evidence that there are more widespread upload issues, even without high latency (just look at the Inerail NY speed test I posted earlier). Others have seen the same. In light of that, it seems to make more sense that there are general issues with OOL's network that cause poor upload speeds - not intentional or unintentional throttling of FTP only (as was suggested multiple times in this thread).
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to Boooost

MVM,

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

said by Thinkdiff:

just their real upload issues, not the ones made up randomly.
...pointing out obviously illogical conclusions, or is that too difficult?

So when I say my single-connection FTP uploads are limited to approximately 10 Mbps, am I making that up randomly...

Not at all. I'm saying it has nothing to do with it being FTP or 10Mbps. You're just seeing generally slow transfers to that particular server, same as me to certain servers (low and high latency).

It is a problem with OOL's network. I've never said otherwise.
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Thinkdiff:

I highly doubt that, but don't have the means to prove it wrong at this time. I see very little benefit in throttling FTP.

To the OP: what protocol are you using to while uploading (besides the speed tests)? Is it FTP?

To follow up on this post...

I'm running an FTP server on Comcast on a 25Mbit/sec line (it maxes out around 23Mbps) in Philadelphia. I started uploading test1024 from my computer in NY to this FTP server:

root@Zooropa:/var/www/html# ftp 76.99.xxx.xxx
Connected to 76.99.xxx.xxx.
220 192.168.10.124 FTP server (tnftpd 20100324+GSSAPI) ready.
Name (76.99.xxx.xxx:root): XXXXXX
331 User XXXXXX accepted, provide password.
Password:
230 User XXXXXX logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> put test1024
local: test1024 remote: test1024
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'test1024'.
^C
send aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
226 Transfer complete.
250232832 bytes sent in 100.38 secs (2434.4 kB/s)
ftp> 

That's 19.4Mbps. Throughout the transfer, I was seeing the same bullshit that plagues my high-latency transfers.. throughput ramps up, then collapses, over and over again. I was seeing 2.9MB/sec (23.2Mbps) followed by drop-offs to 1MB/sec every few seconds. Latency between the locations is 35ms.

I also tried a Speedtest.net mini test (the test is hosted on my NY server, so the "download" number is relevant here), which also shows the same results.

Believe me, I wish it was as simple as "OOL is throttling single-threaded connections using this specific protocol", because then we could easily work around the problem or get them to fix it if it wasn't intentional. But at least for me, my upload connections are generally impacted, making it impossible to work around it. Maybe they do different things in different areas , I don't know, but I suspect if the posters claiming they see problems on FTP only look more closely, they'll find larger issues as well.

At the very least, Boooost can't keep claiming "no one" can achieve more than ~10Mbps over FTP anymore ;)

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost

Anon

Give me your FTP server's IP address and I'll try it.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

This is on my laptop, but I'll try to keep it online for a few hours at least (or until I see somebody uploaded a file).

76.99.xx.xx anonymous login is accepted. Folder is a dropbox, so you can upload but not list/download.

Edit: removed the IP for now. If anybody wants to test it again on Friday, let me know.

SHoTTa35
@kfvaluation.com

SHoTTa35

Anon

Hmm, guess they do limit some speeds as i'm getting 1.2MiB/s now which is about 10Mbps.

It started off at 1.8Mbps then slowly dropped and settled at 1.2MiB/s

My Max upload here is 25Mbps, i'll try my ULTRA at home later if it's still up.

Command:	STOR OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.3.0-350_A00.exe
Response:	150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.3.0-350_A00.exe'.
Response:	226 Transfer complete.
Status:	File transfer successful, transferred 358,772,792 bytes in 292 seconds

So yeah, seems it's limited
SHoTTa35

SHoTTa35

Anon

That's 1.8MiB/s (1.8MB/s) not Mpbs

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to SHoTTa35

MVM,

to SHoTTa35
Thanks for testing. Where is "here"? Business OOL line?

I calculated roughly the same from the creation/modified times.. 9.6Mbps.

FWIW, I just tested again and got 2.5MBytes/sec from my Ultra line.

SHoTTa35
@kfvaluation.com

SHoTTa35

Anon

Yes, here is on a 50/25Mbps Static Business Boost+ line. I also uploaded stuff to a my FTP server (so like 4 hops ) and got about the same speeds as well.
bkch0
join:2001-08-08
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit

bkch0 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
I just tried uploading a 100mb.zip file to your comcast ftp.

This is the result. 904.14Kbytes/sec
I have 25Mbps upload from OOL.
Speedtest shows I can max the upload speed.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7929.png

I also have 2 Comcast servers near chicago.
I can only achieve upload speeds of ~5.5Mbps from OOL to either comcast servers.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I see similar to Comcast servers on their speed test here:
»speedtest.comcast.net

I also remembered that I have QoS enabled on my upstream, so I'm not sure if that is affecting the results at all. I just retested and got 1.2MB/sec without QoS and 2.4-2.6MB/sec with QoS (tried turning QoS on/off repeated and verified this multiple times), so it seems like it might be.
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to TheWanderer0

to TheWanderer0
This type of speed threads keep poping up, so I have to assume, we are all getting different performance from our connection. Just like you can find threads that show me getting above 180Mbps.

I also like to use Speedtest.Verizon.net

I can honestly say I have never had an issue with upload on Optimum Online, but your mileage may vary