Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

[OS X] FREE!!! OneNote for Mac (finally) available at the Apple Store

Microsoft released OneNote for Mac and at a great price...Free.
»blogs.office.com/2014/03 ··· for-mac/

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

I'll pass for now. I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to things Microsoft. I'll let others play with and when I hear the group think on it, I might give it a go.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

3 edits

1 recommendation

howardfine to Nick

to Nick
Eventually you'll find some things only work on Windows or only work with some other Microsoft product, which also only works on Windows. It's part of Microsoft's plan to get you back in the fold. Just like Nokia's X brand of Android phones, all owned by Microsoft.

EDIT: If it really works at all. I'm reading a lot of people complaining it takes up to 30 seconds to start it up and saving and exporting don't work.

EDIT2: Didn't take long. Notebooks only sync through OneDrive, a Microsoft product.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
One Note has been around for a long time. Do not know anyone who actually uses it. That is probably because, like me, they do not know what it is for.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Students use it quite a bit for typing/organizing notes. At least on the Windows version, it's easy to combine math equations, drawings, text, etc all on the same page.

I used it in industry (computer engineering) every day to keep research notes, weekly reports, etc. It's all searchable, so any time somebody had a question about something I worked on or a function I wrote, I just punched it into OneNote and had all my notes about it. Pretty handy.

But if the Mac version only syncs to OneDrive, I'll be staying away. I'd like to keep my notes off cloud storage.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
It's a great product on Windows. Can't speak about the Mac version.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
I use it on my ipad for taking meeting notes. Great to have it on my MBP as well now. Not a bad program, but the Mac version is kinda fugly. The ipad edition is quite nicely done.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

I'll pass for now. I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to things Microsoft. I'll let others play with and when I hear the group think on it, I might give it a go.

Ugh...don't get me started with those pricks.
But...I can say this, for a simple Remote Desktop situation, their RDP app for Mac and iOS devices works very VERY well. Better than on their own OS in my eyes.

I'd like to be able to Apple's Remote desktop app to connect to windows machines.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
I just watched the video and I've never used this before, but I've seen it and always unchecked it during our office installs Here at work. Simply because people only need the basics here.

I don't know if it works the same way for windows or not but, it seems very easy to use and seems user friendly. For instance, being you can double click anywhere and start typing...that parts is pretty cool. But here's a question...why is that you can't do that same action in Word? There have been many times I would like to start typing somewhere but simply can't because Word won't allow it. See, it's little annoying things (never mind the really BIG issues) like that, piss me off with MS.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by onebadmofo:

But here's a question...why is that you can't do that same action in Word? There have been many times I would like to start typing somewhere but simply can't because Word won't allow it. See, it's little annoying things (never mind the really BIG issues) like that, piss me off with MS.

Not to start a whole discussion on what a "word processor" is or is not, but the action you described is not how a person would expect a word processor to work. You can't do that action in any page-formatted type application (Pages, Word, OpenOffice Writer, etc) as it breaks the whole paradigm of using rules to format and space text in a regular, predictable way. I agree with you that I wish it was easier to do complex formatting in word processors, but nobody has cracked that nut yet (as far as I know) - it's not just a MS problem.

You could create a text box in Word and get effectively the same thing with 1 extra click.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
Great news! Will be downloading this today @ work. The web version just doesn't cut it.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by onebadmofo:

But here's a question...why is that you can't do that same action in Word? There have been many times I would like to start typing somewhere but simply can't because Word won't allow it. See, it's little annoying things (never mind the really BIG issues) like that, piss me off with MS.

Not to start a whole discussion on what a "word processor" is or is not, but the action you described is not how a person would expect a word processor to work. You can't do that action in any page-formatted type application (Pages, Word, OpenOffice Writer, etc) as it breaks the whole paradigm of using rules to format and space text in a regular, predictable way. I agree with you that I wish it was easier to do complex formatting in word processors, but nobody has cracked that nut yet (as far as I know) - it's not just a MS problem.

You could create a text box in Word and get effectively the same thing with 1 extra click.

True. But if you look at it from a progression standpoint. The whole word processor format was to replace the typewriter. With the typewriter you can pretty much line up your page and type where ever the hell you want.

Why can't you simply do that in digital format? It makes no sense. If I have a paper on my desk, I can write on it where I choose. I don't have to do special things on the paper to allow such action. I just, well...do it. And it looks the way I WANT it to look.

I'm fairly sure this could be implemented in word processing programs. Heck if you look at it in a different way, it's sorta how Steve Jobs would think. "If I can do it in real life, I should be able to do it on the computer"

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The word processor equivalent is placing a tab at the desired location and hitting the "tab" key. That's the same as moving the type head manually to the desired location.

Like I said, it's not that you can't do what you what - you just can't do it the way you want as it doesn't follow the paradigm of a strictly formatted page based on rules (or rulers, in this particular case).

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is personal opinion, but it's not like Microsoft is preventing you from typing anywhere you want just by clicking there because they're stupid or trying to make you miserable. That's just the way it's supposed to work. If anything, that's an argument for why OneNote should exist. One app for strict, formal formatting (Word). One app with an 'anything goes' philosophy (OneNote) that might not be as good at creating formal documents. I'd prefer they kept them separate.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Yeah I get ya, I get ya.

I'm glad I don't create documents that much anymore. But MS still sucks it big time for other reasons.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Nick

to Nick
Installed it last night (I had been using the Windows version under Parallels until now). I just clicked around a bit after installing it, but it's NOT the half-baked version I had feared it would be. The iPad app is very nice as well.

Now if they would just allow me to use OneNote at work...

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
I will give it a shot, but I have been using Evernote for a few years now and it is very similar. Probably will not switch.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Nick

Mod

to Nick
Anyone else thinking this is a preview for the Office 2014 interface?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Mike:

Anyone else thinking this is a preview for the Office 2014 interface?

bingo. i saw the office 2013 'flat-ribboned-we're-going-to-fuck-with-the-ui-just-to-make-it-seem-better' appearance and was thinking the same thing.

q.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
This is awesome. I love this app.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
Word 4 Mac is the ultimate pita when it comes to creating documents regarding genealogy and foreign languages.

Thankfully I have no such issues on Pages.