Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

After sitting 10+ years..

.. The stingray is back in action »www.dropbox.com/s/rogfu2k7z0clc8···ette.mp4

It's my grandfathers old corvette. He sure would have loved to hear it run. My uncle says, he's gonna engrave his name into the interior and gonna paint the body of the american flag.

New distributor, new fuel filter, oil, 6 Gal. of gas. A total for everything will cost pretty close to 40K. The whole inside is a birds nest, big mess of wires. Was lucky enough to get it started, one of the cables that run from the distributor is cut(engine is sitting on it). Other than that, she runs. Still throwing out smoke the same way it did when it last was fired up witch was a few years or more ago.

We're thinking of installing a coo intake filter so it uses up less space, the distributor uses up so much space. Anyone's ideas maybe of use, we will keep it in mind. Just keep it vietnam veteran.

It's a 350 engine, year '72, 2-door convertible.
--
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

said by diablo1892:

A total for everything will cost pretty close to 40K

Ouch.....

Hopefully its at least an LT1, otherwise you are going to spend far more on it than it is worth, unfortunately. Even a clean LT1 car is only going in the 30-35k range.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
reply to diablo1892

My uncle said he will have it shipped to south carolina to get the paint and interior work done.

Having it shipped off to another state, oh yeah, looking at lots of $$$

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
reply to diablo1892

Nice car, but 40k.... ouch! That's a lot to spend on it.

Tip: hold phone horizontally when recording video.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by TheMG:

Tip: hold phone horizontally when recording video.

Uncle was the one recording, not me. my phone doesn't do any good recording, only pictures. See that person in the camo coat at the end? thats me(:

Also, we just got the fuel filter and oil changed, it still turns over however engine still needs pulled): but we're making progress.

It just shows you, never let a car sit for too long or it'll cost you either some or a bunch. (usually a bunch for the older type cars)

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to diablo1892

Nice project. Great way to keep your grandfather alive in your thoughts.
Anyone thinking about the value of a car is missing the point. A car is a hobby, not an investment.
Btw, I just love the snort of an open breather so you can hear the engine gulp each stroke.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

said by Tig:

Anyone thinking about the value of a car is missing the point. A car is a hobby, not an investment.

Ummm no, I am not missing the point. What you need to remember is that many, many people who have a Corvette make a critically erroneous assumption that "It's a Vette, so its worth a lot" and let that play into their decisions on how much to spend on their "hobby" as you put it.

Regardless of whether or not it is truly a hobby, I have seen a great number of people fall into the "Corvette trap" and end up in financial straits because of it. Part of the trap is the belief that "We can always get our money back out if it" which simply isn't true in the vast majority of cases.

Trust me, I don't give advice without considering all the points, and in this case I feel it is worth mentioning.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by mattmag:

Regardless of whether or not it is truly a hobby

I should have mentioned in the main post that its not a hobby. We're not just fixing it up for my grandfather either. We are fixing it up to represent my grandfather for who he was, a Vietnam veteran. His name will be painted on the back and/or sides with the american flag covering the majority of the vette.

I think its well worth it, since he was in the war doing some side chores for the other soldiers but his main job was to be a cook witch he was really good at.
--
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

said by diablo1892:

We are fixing it up to represent my grandfather for who he was, a Vietnam veteran.

I can't think of a better reason or cause to be dedicated to.

Carry on!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

It's my grandfathers old corvette. He sure would have loved to hear it run. My uncle says, he's gonna engrave his name into the interior and gonna paint the body of the american flag.

vimeo.com/83854617

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by Doctor Olds:

said by diablo1892:

vimeo.com/83854617

That was built out here in Vegas at Counts Kustoms.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Beezel:

said by Doctor Olds:

vimeo clip

That was built out here in Vegas at Counts Kustoms.

Indeed it was. I saw the show recently so it was fresh in my mind.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?