spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TekGuy
@teksavvy.com

TekGuy

Anon

[DSL] IPv6

I recently signed up to Beta Test IPv6. I thought I'd be OK, because I have an IPv6 "capable" router, the Linksys EA6400. I set it to Automatic and changed the login to @hsiservice.net

I'm getting IPv6 addresses on my laptop, inside my LAN, matching the /56 addresses, so it's obviously working. I'm even getting IPv6 DNS server, however, when I access ipv6.google.com or check it via www.ipv6-test.com, it's showing I'm not using IPv6 on my outbound.

My troubleshooting says my router is not getting an IPv6 address, but my internal devices are.

Any ideas? I seem to have limited ability to make this work with this router. I may have to get a WRT / Tomato router to make this work, from the looks of it.

----------------------------------------------

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-46-A0-3A-14-E4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:f00f:2800:696b:3502:xxxx.yyyy(Deprecated)
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:f00f:2800:7523:eb18:xxxx.yyyy(Deprecated)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7523:eb18:9924:7308%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March 18, 2014 12:22:42 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March 19, 2014 1:08:41 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 259278496
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-D6-15-5D-74-46-A0-3A-14-E4

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:f00f:2800:4af8:b3ff:aaaa.bbbb
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

From this, it looks like your router is assigning IPv6 addresses, but not using them for the outside world

The fe80: address being preferred doesn't look right either.

What happens if you traceroute to another IPv6 address, rather than DNS? For example 2001:4860:4860::8888

The DNS server that is given, looks like an IP on your LAN, can you confirm that IP is answering DNS requests (could be one of the IPs on your router)

Lastly, there should be an IPv6 default gateway, either an fe80 address or a 2607:f2c0:f00f:2800:: address

I also believe while you have been given a /56 block, you should be assigning your local networks with /64's, letting you subnet to make up to the /56 so you choose. - I could be wrong, but I do try and follow the recommended practice - issue is, it has changed a few times (this is a minor issue for you right now though)

TekGuy
@telus.com

TekGuy

Anon

Thanks for the info. I'm still very new to IPv6.

I have very limited selections in my router, thus I suspect I would have to get another router that can handle simultaneous connections. My provider, Teksavvy, is providing me with /56 and /64 addresses, the /64 being for the router and the /56 for my internal devices, I assume.

My router is not obtaining an IPv6 address on it's WAN interface, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the implementation, that it's not picking up the differences in the subnets or something.

The DNS is recursive (still learning, but that's what was shown in my initial setup email.)

Thanks
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to TekGuy

to TekGuy
The router should get the IPv6 link local address (beginning fe80) on the WAN interface via IPv6CP as part of the PPPoE session. It should also get an IPv6 global address on the WAN interface via SLAAC.

Does yours have either of these? And what options do you have in the router configuration screen for IPv6?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to kevinds

Premium Member

to kevinds
The fe80: link local address is normal. You'll always have a link local address even if you also have a public address assigned statelessly or state fully. Some stacks (I think Tomato maybe, but I can't remember) actually use the link-local addresses of the router as the assigned gateway.

I'm not super familiar with Windows IPv6 but I'm curious as to why both your temporary and normal IPv6 address are both "Deprecated". At least on UNIX based platforms, the typical system is you have an IPv6 address that never changes and then you have a series of "temporary" addresses the time out periodically. Only once the address times out does it become "deprecated", with a newer address taking it's place. This is done of for security and privacy reasons - as you can see, your actual IPv6 address probably includes your MAC address.

Also note that you censored your IP's (xxxx and yyyy) but included the first /64 so the censoring isn't exactly doing much. The last /64 of an IPv6 address is device specific; the first /64 is network specific.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by SimplePanda:

The fe80: link local address is normal. You'll always have a link local address even if you also have a public address assigned statelessly or state fully

I didn't say it as wrong, and as far as I know, it is normal to be assigned both, but the fe80 (link local) being preferred doesn't seem right to me.

In my network (using an he.net tunnel) my Windows computers constantly get different IPv6 addresses, unless I assign a static, then it has the static and random ones, this also includes my Brother laser printer as well.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by kevinds:

but the fe80 (link local) being preferred doesn't seem right to me.

Regardless of what the default gateway IP might be, the net result in routing tables is still that any non-local traffic gets forwarded to the router. This is the only thing that actually matters.

Another advantage of using the local address is that if your public subnet changes, your default gateway does not.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

said by InvalidError:

Another advantage of using the local address is that if your public subnet changes, your default gateway does not.

Interesting. Question...
•Assume you have multiple devices behind such a router
•and you only assign them link local addresses
•and they all use the router's link local internal address as their gateway
does the outside world see only see the router's public address? Look Ma; IPV6 NAT
notfred

notfred to TekGuy

to TekGuy
Nope, they need globals to talk to the outside world.

TekGuy
@telus.com

TekGuy to SimplePanda

Anon

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Also note that you censored your IP's (xxxx and yyyy) but included the first /64 so the censoring isn't exactly doing much. The last /64 of an IPv6 address is device specific; the first /64 is network specific.

Thanks SimplePanda, as I did mention, I'm very new to this.

I'll post either a screen shot or capture as best as I can what my router can do, it's a Linksys EA6400. It says it has full support, but obviously, that may be a misleading statement from Linksys.

It supports automatic or 6rd (auto or manual), so *not* a lot of options.
TekGuy
join:2014-03-19
Canada

TekGuy to notfred

to notfred
I wish I could post screen shots here, but no such luck.

In the IPv4 option is where I see my PPPoE options.

In the IPv6 option, I only have the option of "Automatic" or 6rd - Disabled /Automatic / Manual. I've tried various combinations, but no such luck. The only way it seems to pass an IPv6 address along to my devices is to use automatic.

I think I'm concluding that the router, whilst being IPv6 "compatible" is not ready for this implementation of IPv6.

I'm going to go see if my WRT54G will handle the Tomato version with IPv6 that I saw mentioned somewhere else.
TekGuy

TekGuy to kevinds

to kevinds
You mention using an he.net tunnel, is the Teksavvy service using 6in4 tunneling or true IPv6 alongside IPv4?
notfred

notfred to TekGuy

to TekGuy
The TekSavvy IPv6 service is a true IPv6 service complying with RFC7084. It runs alongside the IPv4 service over the PPPoE link.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I'm not on Teksavvy yet, waiting for the 25/5 or 50/10 plans.... *hint Teksavvy...* haha

But Teksavvy in Telus areas doesn't conform properly to the RFC that is about customers being assigned a /56 (or even a /64) everybody in an unknown service area shares a /64,

So this, and the fact that I can keep my existing IPv6 IPs, I'll continue to use it after switching ISPs.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by kevinds:

I'm not on Teksavvy yet, waiting for the 25/5 or 50/10 plans.... *hint Teksavvy...* haha

But Teksavvy in Telus areas doesn't conform properly to the RFC that is about customers being assigned a /56 (or even a /64) everybody in an unknown service area shares a /64,

So this, and the fact that I can keep my existing IPv6 IPs, I'll continue to use it after switching ISPs.

Is this the case?

TekSavvy assigns a /64 for WAN side and a /56 for LAN side in Bell areas. Do they not do this in Telus areas?

Incidentally I'd debate the point of the /56 when a /64 for both is more than what most customers need but still.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yes, in Telus areas, you don't get your own subnet, and it isn't assigned.

Most customers yes, but some of us like subnets - think in the future you assign a separate subnet for the nano-bots inside each of your household members

I would accept a /64 if I had to right now, but I'm happy with the /48, but it is excessive, a /56 would be a better fit
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by kevinds:

I would accept a /64 if I had to right now, but I'm happy with the /48, but it is excessive, a /56 would be a better fit

How many people have an actual use/need for a /56? /56 for subnets and /64 for endpoints are merely IPv6 recommendations. You can subnet inside a /64 too.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I know, one hosting company I deal with, gives out /128's...

But yes, it is a minority for people who need/want/care if they get a /56 or /64, or less.

It is/was recommended to use the 4 pairs for a single ethernet connection, but you could use the 4 pairs for two ethernet jacks... I'm sure we've all dealt with sites that didn't follow the recommended guidelines on this, and the mess it makes... haha

connections
@pppoe.ca

connections to InvalidError

Anon

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

How many people have an actual use/need for a /56? /56 for subnets and /64 for endpoints are merely IPv6 recommendations. You can subnet inside a /64 too.

More than you're willing to admit. RA still needs to work, so no you can't.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by connections :

More than you're willing to admit. RA still needs to work, so no you can't.

RA allows prefixes anywhere from /0 to /128.

slaacguy
@24.114.92.x

slaacguy to connections

Anon

to connections
confusing RA with SLAAC.
TekGuy
join:2014-03-19
Canada

TekGuy to notfred

to notfred
Thanks notfred. Thought so, wanted to be sure. I think I need a different router or have to setup a Linux box.
BigVe
join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

BigVe to TekGuy

to TekGuy
Did you try these tests:
»ipv6-test.com/simple.php
»test-ipv6.com/

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to TekGuy

Premium Member

to TekGuy
said by TekGuy:

Thanks notfred. Thought so, wanted to be sure. I think I need a different router or have to setup a Linux box.

Best bet is to get a router that can run Tomato. The ASUS routers are great for this. I'm running an N66u with Tomato Toastman. Native IPv6 with DHCP-PD from TekSavvy works perfectly.
Expand your moderator at work