Search similar:

uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

GOG bringing linux support.

"No, don't duck. This is actually good news. We just wanted to announce that, after much deliberation, we've decided that one of the next steps for us is to support Linux. Now, we're not ready to launch Linux games on GOG.com just yet. We've only been working on bringing these Linux games to our service for a few months, and there's lots more to go, but we wanted to let you know what's going to be coming this fall to a digital distributor near you.

We're initially going to be launching our Linux support on GOG.com with the full GOG.com treatment for Ubuntu and Mint. That means that right now, we're hammering away at testing games on a variety of configurations, training up our teams on Linux-speak, and generally getting geared up for a big kick-off in the fall with at least 100 Linux games ready for you to play. This is, of course, going to include games that we sell which already have Linux clients, but we'll also be bringing Linux gamers a variety of classics that are, for the first time, officially supported and maintained by a storefront like ours."
»www.gog.com/news/gogcom_ ··· latforms

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Considering the amazing job they've been pulling off with making old games work on the new systems, I'm happy to see them supporting Linux.

This, plus Steam, plus Kickstarter, is bringing gaming to Linux closer and closer.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by ekster:

This, plus Steam, plus Kickstarter, is bringing gaming to Linux closer and closer.

Agreed, Steam, GOG, and now Mantle seem to be turning up the heat, as evidenced by the recent release of DX12.

I'd really like to see more Linux support for games all around, and seems like Valve is taking it on with new releases and GOG with old ones, so this is good news.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Frostbite and cry engine 3 are also getting linux versions, so I expect even origin to come to linux with in a year.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Frostbite and cry engine 3 are also getting linux versions, so I expect even origin to come to linux with in a year.

When that happens, I am going to Linux.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to me1212

to me1212
I wouldnt mind having a dedicated linux machine for gaming if it means better performance.

Unfortunately I'll be a slave to Windows for some time on my workstation.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

When that happens, I am going to Linux.

I'll certainly be spending more time on my Linux partition that's for sure.