spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

1 edit

robman50

[Need Info] Backing up to NAS

Does anyone know of a program that will let me do a disk/partition backup that will create an image and will allow me to store it on my 3TB WD MyBook Live?
I am currently using Seagate DiscWizzard on all my systems. WD SmartWare is a backup solution but it uses the file-by-file method.
I did run DiscWizzard on my laptop last night and set the destination to \\mybooklive\backups and it ran via WLAN and it was so bloody slow. It went from 10pm to 3:30am. CPU was at 14%, Memory 4GB free, WLAN 1 - 50Kbps. Why was it so slow for 802.11n and a Core i5 system with 8GB of RAM? The router was 10 feet away with a clean and clear LOS.
My other Core i5 system with 8GB RAM can do this job in under 10 minutes with the same amount of data.
I thought about the load on the laptop HDD that was causing the slow down but there was very little load on it, which was weird for a backup at high priority.

O/S: Windows 8
WLAN: 802.11n 300Mbps
LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps
robman50

robman50

[Need Info] Re: Backing up to NAS

Come to think of it, I may have posted this in the wrong area. Tried a few programs and they are all slow. Maybe it is a driver thing, WIndows 8 thing or hardware thing?

If you guys think it is something other than a software issue, fell free to move this post to another area.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
I'm a huge fan of Macrium Reflect. It just works. You can test the free version yourself: »www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Is your other box that is "faster" hard wired? That 300 Mbps wireless number is a marketing fantasy. Actual throughput is always less and sometimes remarkably so.
robman50

robman50

said by HarryH3:

Is your other box that is "faster" hard wired

Performance wise they have about the same specs, only major difference is one CPU is 2nd gen Core i5 (desktop) and the other is 3rd gen (laptop). Also the desktop has an SSD while the laptop has an HDD.

But for a local backup on the laptop, say to a USB device, the time of the job is all most as quick as the desktop.
robman50

robman50

Marcrium averages the WiFi at 33 Mbps.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Is that their spec or your personal observation?

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

2 recommendations

LoPhatPhuud to robman50

MVM

to robman50

Re: [Need Info] Backing up to NAS

Keep us old timers happy when using Mbps or MBps. I have a feeling that Mbps used in this thread is referring to both, at different times. Lower case b is bits, while upper case B is bytes. The ratio is 10 to 1 to allow for overhead.

Now on to the question at hand. I used to image (full) to my NAS drive and it took about 1 1/2 hours for ~80GB image file. All the hardware (computer, NAS, router) had gigabit adapters.

Since then I'm using an external HD with a USB 3 connection. It takes less than 20 minutes for the same image.

I image using Shadow Protect desktop. Not inexpensive, but it meets my requirements and, for me, worth the price.
robman50

robman50 to darcilicious

to darcilicious

Re: [Need Info] Re: Backing up to NAS

The thing about Marcrium? That's what the 'sending speed' was in Task Manager's performance tab. The total data throughput was above 100 Mbps. May even have been maxed at 150, which is the max of the Atheros chip in the laptop.
robman50

robman50 to LoPhatPhuud

to LoPhatPhuud

said by LoPhatPhuud:

Keep us old timers happy when using Mbps or MBps

One was using Mbps and the other is using Mb/s.
Expand your moderator at work
robman50

robman50

I did a recovery of the image that I made with Seagate DiscWizzard via WLAN it the receiving speed was 70 Mbps (150 Mbps adapter.)

Wonder why the backup process was so slow? RAM, CPU, HDD?
robman50

robman50

I did a recovery of the image that I made with Seagate DiscWizzard via WLAN it the receiving speed was 70 Mbps (150 Mbps adapter.)

Wonder why the backup process was so slow? RAM, CPU, HDD? Maybe it was the slow rotation of the laptop drive vs a 7200rpm drive?
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0 to robman50

to robman50
True image will do this quite well

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to robman50

to robman50
Well if you are writing a large image file each time you back up then it will take as along each time as you have to write the full image unless you do an incermental backup the second time.

You have never stated how big of a drive you are backing up or how much data, but you have a 3TB WD Mybook you backed up to.

OK for speed, it looks like One, you are using a Wireless network and Two, you are using a MyBook, that is either USB or network?
Both if not all of the connection are slower connection then wired types.
robman50

robman50

Yes it is an MyBook live which is connected to the router via gigalan. Yes I was using the 802.11n wireless method, I think it's draft N (150Mb/s?).
I am backing up an 1TB drive with 60GB of data, OS and the recovery partitions.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

You just need to get used to plugging your laptop in with a physical network cable at backup time. Then your backups will be orders of magnitude faster. While your wireless link may be theoretically capable of 150 Mbps, in the real world you'll see speeds more in the 20-50 Mbps range. Plug in a gigabit connection and you'll get closer to 1,000 Mbps (or at least as fast as your hard drive can spit out the data).

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to robman50

to robman50
Harry is correct but the real wired limits will be your WD Live HDD write speed as it will be the slowest part of your setup.

So if you have 60GB of data and you compress it you will need to write about 30GB to the drive. So it should take about 45 to 60 minutes, if the network can keep up.
mmainprize

mmainprize to robman50

to robman50
And one final thing.

a 1 Gb LAN is 1000 mbps and that is equal 100 MBps in the real world bandwith

WLAN that say they can hit 300 mbps require dual band connection.
So the you best you can get without a dual band connection is 150 mbps and
that equals 15 MBps. drop the overhead and you are down to 10 to 12 MBps.

So it is about 10 times slower then a wired 1 Gb connection.

to test your WLAN speed find a lager data file 1 or 2 GB, like an ISO image or a movie file. Then while watching the second hand on a clock, copy it over to the WD live and see how long it take to complete. this can give you an idea of what the speed of you backup will be (you may have drive cache turned on and will seem faster then it is). Some backup programs like TI have a network limiter setting as to not hog the whole network bandwidth, so check that also.