Search similar:

uniqs

Nubiatech
soy capitan
join:2007-09-02
Chicago, IL

Nubiatech

[Connectivity] Internet outage - Chicago - West Ridge area

It appears that there is an outage or something like that.
Getting a busy signal when calling RCN phone line. The live chat on rcn.com is also busy.

This appears to be an internet facing issue with RCN for the following reasons:
1. I rebooted my modem a few times and it works without any issues. The modem picks up a public ip address rather quick and all the signal levels look good.
2. I can actually query the RCN dns resolvers. They are a bit sluggish, but they respond anyway.
3. This leads me to believe that it is a backbone or peering issue in Chicago.

Can RCN people please shed some light here? I have no other options or sources of information about what is going on.

Thanks
hiccup
join:2014-03-17
Chicago, IL

hiccup

Not RCN person but found this:

»downdetector.com/status/rcn/

Nubiatech
soy capitan
join:2007-09-02
Chicago, IL

Nubiatech

Thanks for the link, I did indeed experienced an outage last night and this one today.

The connection is now back up. I am hoping that RCN reps will follow up with an explanation of what is going on and whether this is an ongoing issue.

Thanks
bigbri9
join:2007-11-12
Chicago, IL

bigbri9 to Nubiatech

to Nubiatech
I'm in Andersonville and we've been down since 11am. Per their twitter feed: At this time we do not have an ETA, but maintenance is scheduled for tonight.
gootdude
join:2002-01-21
Chicago, IL

gootdude to Nubiatech

to Nubiatech
I'm in Lakeview and had received some automated call the other day regarding some "fiber move" that was due to the "city of chicago"

I have had the same outage issues all day, and the customer support seems to be unaware of any maintenance related issues.

I've switched to public DNS from google since RCN DNS was being very flaky. Hopefully they get this figured out, but it would be nice if anyone knows what this maintenance was, and why it ended up impacting everyone across the city.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

jsolo1 to Nubiatech

Premium Member

to Nubiatech
Connectivity issues all day here too. It comes and goes.

Noticed issued late last night with email (~2100 CDT). Working ok this morning, but by ~1130 it was up and down.

800ringrcn has no clue what's going on (or they haven't been made privy of it).

I'm in agreement about it being a peering issue as dns resolves fine. Maybe someone from operations can actually make a status posting indicating actual status...