spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cosmokramer

join:2009-02-18
Portland, ME

Everyone in Maine still on 4 downsteam channels?

Just wondering if anybody has seen 8 downstream channels as of yet? Still on 4 with my Ubee modem.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

No need... Saturation doesn't require it for any area in ME.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to cosmokramer

Still on 4 in York County.

Bigfatmooose

join:2007-05-17
Pittsfield, ME
reply to cosmokramer

Yes, though as the interesting person who stated that Maine is not saturated enough to need more than 4 channels he should move to my area in Pittsfield. Since the implementation of docsis 3.0 and the faster speeds initially it was great. Over the last year my speeds have been greatly reduced. This happens even in times when they are not considered peak. Either its poor routing outside of time-warner or the school down the street eats up the bandwidth. All I know is I am beginning to have the same problems I had before the upgrade. Poor speeds as I remember when I had the fastest you could get which was 15/1 I barely could ever get above 1.5mbps. Time Warner Cable had multiple tools and some of their techs who used "older" tools stated that the nodes in my area were saturated. I pretty much got the answer we know there is a problem but we aren't going to fix it. I haven't called Time Warner Cable about the speed issues as their tech supports are a bunch of monkey's that read from a card. They expect you to do this redundant stuff .... I remember one time the tech stated to me that due to the amount of bw i was using my "pipes" were clogged and that is why my speed was slow. Time Warner Cable systems up here are garbage and due to the lack of competition we will never see a decent upgraded system. Although I am against large mergers I hope Comcast buys out Time Warner Cable. ALthough they have caps they have at least upgraded most of their foot print with 100mbps+.

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to cosmokramer

4 down, 1 up

rblenkhorn
Premium
join:2003-07-15
Bangor, ME
reply to cosmokramer

I get 4 downstream. Only 1 upstream.. is that what the trend is here? only 1 upstream channel?

modem_reset

join:2010-05-27
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
reply to cosmokramer

...experience...
many many years in the cable field.

To the person saying it's not over saturated...In the city the node is run for a small physical area (les then 1 square mile), but ~300 or so homes passed. In the sticks (maine), same deal applies, but the node is run over the distance (some are 10+ square miles) to 300 homes or so passed...same rules apply.

to the person saying it's not right. you can do a bunch of work, or just call and request a tech, bottom line nothing you can do over the phone... there is nothing you can fix (Unless you have a signal meter, correct crimping tools, and know how to properly strip the dielectric from the cable)...

when the tech comes out explain in detail what is happening factually, not editorialize..any excuse that you say will be amplified (i think it's over sold...will be in his/her mind they can't fix it so why put the effort in). 99% of the issues I dealt with in my time was caused by physical issues in a sub's home...the 1% were over sold areas...

do you notice it's worse at night? yes? I bet you it's more related to metals contracting at different temperatures causing a missed connection inbetween you and twc....(fun term is suck out)...

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to cosmokramer

I'm not in Maine, and I'd to guess that both markets aren't considered big markets, as I also only have 4x1 just like all of you. Its fine as I seem to get my speeds all the time, as far as I know.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to modem_reset

said by modem_reset:

when the tech comes out explain in detail what is happening factually, not editorialize..any excuse that you say will be amplified (i think it's over sold...will be in his/her mind they can't fix it so why put the effort in). 99% of the issues I dealt with in my time was caused by physical issues in a sub's home...the 1% were over sold areas...

do you notice it's worse at night? yes? I bet you it's more related to metals contracting at different temperatures causing a missed connection inbetween you and twc....(fun term is suck out)...

Yeah, every few years a tech needs to fix something with my wiring. The problem is that they will try to avoid sending a truck out, and then the tech will try to avoid changing anything. To be fair, they probably get a lot of dumb calls, but it's not going to be a very easy process to get a real problem fixed

modem_reset

join:2010-05-27

Call, be stern, I need a tech to my home. The issue is intermittent.

Mystic95Z

join:2005-05-10
Sellersburg, IN
reply to cosmokramer

The number of downstream channels depends on the model of modem you can receive in addition to what the cable co provides, for ex a SB6121 can only do 4 down but a 6141 can do 8. Look up the specific specs of your modem and see if its even capable...

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to cosmokramer

Click for full size
My connection is using 4 channels for downstream and 4 channels for upstream. I use a SurfBoard 6141 which I purchased myself.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by xQim:

My connection is using 4 channels for downstream and 4 channels for upstream. I use a SurfBoard 6141 which I purchased myself.

Can you take a screenshot of your signals page and post it?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

xQim

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..

1 edit
reply to cosmokramer

Click for full size
Signals Page
Here is the screen shot:

This is in Maine.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME

I think you are the first bonded upstream I have seen in the area.

cosmokramer

join:2009-02-18
Portland, ME
reply to cosmokramer

Click for full size

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to xQim

Click for full size
@xQim When did you get 4 bonded upstream? I say that because just got 4 bonded upstream right after midnight this morning, so I wonder if you did as well? To check, go to logs and you will see when your modem rebooted(mine was Mar 25 2014 00:08:54). We have the exact same upstream channels, the only difference is that I have QAM64 on two of my upstream channels, and yet I'm not even in your state. So if can happen here, it can happen anywhere.

svjks
Premium
join:2009-01-11
Lincoln, NE

@scififan68 That is interesting. Here in Lincoln, NE it is still 4 down and 1 up on my SB6141.

xQim

reply to cosmokramer

It has been this way since install back in October 2013.

xQim

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..

1 edit
reply to cosmokramer

I should also mention, though it might be irrelevant, that my connection never fluctuates. It is always 56Mbps/6Mbps no matter the day or time. Maybe I'm just lucky? And to boot, I live out in the sticks.

astokes

join:2000-08-11
Bangor, ME
reply to cosmokramer

Im located in Bangor, I used to live in an apartment and my area was congested, I purchased a house a year ago about a mile away and have no issues here, I get 33/5.5 24/7, still only have 4/1 channels though. But a few weeks ago TW ran new fiber all around town here no idea what for.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cosmokramer

Click for full size
No, and I'm not in Maine.... still 4 downstream channels, and 2 upstream channels. [Milwaukee,WI] TWC has been running lots of fiber optic locally....

Just got the upstream channel bonding this morning..

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
reply to cosmokramer

Not yet, with my biz class connection or any of my biz clients. None of my res clients have Wideband connections, if I remember.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
reply to cosmokramer

Same here on the north end of the state.
4 down 1 up on the 30/5 plan.
Using Purchased SB6141

xQim

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to cosmokramer

Sorry to bring back this old topic but I wanted to shed some light on bonded channels with TWC in Maine. (My Area: Previously Adelphia Serviced)

EDLP (2Mbps/1Mbps) ====>
Basic (3Mbps/1Mbps) ====> 4 Downstream, 1 Upstream
Standard (15Mbps/1Mbps) =>

Turbo (20Mbps/2Mbps) ====>
Extreme (30Mbps/5Mbps) ==> 4 Downstream, 4 Upstream
Ultimate (50Mbps/5Mbps) ==>