Search similar:

uniqs
seelie8
join:2001-12-22
Atlanta, GA

seelie8

Some Questions Before I Go to Uverse

Hi there

After a particularly bad experience with Comcast here in Atlanta, I dumped them entirely (after a decade of faithful service, yes the experience was THAT bad) and temporarily turned on Clear Internet + Hulu Plus. I am now examining all of my options, and Uverse is of course one of them.

Am curious how often folks hit their data usage cap. Our household does a lot of online gaming and would be streaming HD 12-16 hours a day if we stayed with HuluPlus and didn't get TV.

Am also curious how well folks like the service or any "gotchas" that aren't exactly obvious. I have heard extremes of opinion both ways, and figure there is a middle ground.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by seelie8:

Hi there

After a particularly bad experience with Comcast here in Atlanta, I dumped them entirely (after a decade of faithful service, yes the experience was THAT bad) and temporarily turned on Clear Internet + Hulu Plus. I am now examining all of my options, and Uverse is of course one of them.

Am curious how often folks hit their data usage cap. Our household does a lot of online gaming and would be streaming HD 12-16 hours a day if we stayed with HuluPlus and didn't get TV.

Am also curious how well folks like the service or any "gotchas" that aren't exactly obvious. I have heard extremes of opinion both ways, and figure there is a middle ground.

The data cap isn't technically being enforced at the moment. As many people say though, it could happen any day.

We've had U-verse triple play for 5 years(with the exception of us dropping internet from about Aug 2012-Jan 2014).

I think it's ok. It could be better(especially in the equipment department). I don't really have that many billing problems as I did with Comcast.

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY

gadawg to seelie8

to seelie8
The only drawback to me is you have to use an att STB if you get TV services. We have been very happy with Internet service.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

I feel it doesn't matter if your speed tier is 12M or 45M, netflix in primetime is going to buffer periodically, though I'd say it has gotten a little better of late.

In my area comcast has a better price, even more so for upload.
ATT gouges you for the upload.
seelie8
Atlanta, GA

seelie8

Cool thanks.

I found that we save $100 a month of we do Clear+HuluPlus here in Atlanta. Using Uverse for internet instead saves another 10-20.

I admit that I am a touch unfamiliar with the tech behind Uverse. Is this something that runs over telephone wires? What outlet do they need to connect the receiver/modem to?
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to seelie8

to seelie8
Depending what area you are in will dictate what flavor of Uverse you can get. If your area is asdl2 then you are fed from the local CO, and you can only get Internet and phone. If your area is VDSL then you can get TV. The TV receivers can be fed over coax, Ethernet or 2 wifi boxes in the home. In the Atlanta market management is highly discouraging the use of coax in favor of Ethernet and wifi boxes. The best thing to do is ask your neighbors what they have for TV, Internet etc.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220 to seelie8

to seelie8
I have been extremely happy with the internet side of Uverse. But if you are an HD snob like I am you will not like Uverse TV. For SD it's good. But the HD PQ is poor.
seelie8
Atlanta, GA

seelie8

Cool. I think we'll go with Uverse Internet, and if our Hulu blows our usage out of the water, then we'll take on TV.

Thanks!