spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Vinn
@verizon.net

Vinn

Anon

[Optimum Voice] Install without jacks

I see this has been addressed already but I waned to add another element. I have an alarm (monitored) and no phone jacks in the area where the modem needs to be. So just plugging a phone into the back of the modem doesn't work for me. Does anyone know if CV will run a jack for me or any suggestions would be great. thanks

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

They would charge for something like that

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to Vinn

to Vinn
You typically don't plug the alarm into a phone jack either you normally use an RJ31X so the line seizure works correctly.

Here is some material:
»wiki.hometech.com/tiki-i ··· 31X+Jack

Ideally you would plug a line into the CV modem - run it to the RJ31X jack and then to the remaining house phones...

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost

Anon

Note that the phone line from the modem does NOT plug-in to the RJ31X. It would have to be wired into the rear of the jack. CV will do the wiring for you, although they may take a brute-force, run wires back-and-forth approach when there may be better ways.

Better ways like what this guy did, cleverly installing a second RJ31X - »Re: Optimum Voice installation wiring/jack question

Dolansux
@optonline.net

Dolansux to Vinn

Anon

to Vinn
A "proper" installation means leaving you as you were before. The technician should run a telephone wire from the modem location back to your demarcation point to the alarm then back for your telephone. The reason this is rarely done is the use of non union labor. Cable techs just care about getting done quickly and cable contractors are by far the worst. If you were being paid a set amount for your job you would finish as quickly as possible.
megalosaurus
join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY

megalosaurus to Vinn

to Vinn
If you're handy with wiring and snaking wires behind sheetrock, you can do it yourself. Else, I'd suggest finding a good security system installer. They're experienced at running wires inside walls. I installed a wall plate with two RJ11 jacks near the modem. One jack goes to the RJ31X, and the other comes back from it. I ran one patch cord from the modem to one jack, and then another from the other jack to the phone. Since the phone is a multi-handset cordless base unit, I am not using the house wiring at all. A Cablevision installer is more likely to follow the standard formula for connecting an alarm system, and won't give you as much flexibility. Also, they'll really really want to cut the connection from your home wiring to the the POTS wire. It is important to make sure that wire is disconnected when you switch to OV, but it can be done more gracefully than with a pair of pliers.