Search similar:

uniqs
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to givemesam

to givemesam

Re: 1 IP, Lots of devices (200+) - lets brainstorm

Agreed, that's a better idea.

The major question here that I didn't ask.

How many users do you expect to be associated to any AP at any given time? What's the max amount of users you may potentially have associated at one time?
givemesam
join:2011-05-03
Seattle, WA

givemesam to voxframe

to voxframe
We run an all gateway network and don't mesh anything.

At what point did your 1100 start to show performance issues? How did you identify it? Did it show high resource use?

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to givemesam

Premium Member

to givemesam
I'm not any more sure than they are, but they have discussed limiting the number of connections from a single IP. Mac Addresses are changed at every hop, so their server sees the MAC in every inbound packet as that of it's next hop gateway, so unless their client is proprietary and somehow tunnels the original MAC then that wouldn't be possible.
Semaphore

Semaphore to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

Ditch the 1100AH

I disagree. I have 3x1100AH's with OSPF, NAT and QOS and NTP and can sustain 100Mbps on a 100Mbps fiber if I decide to enable NAT or 100Mbps with native routing testing with iPerf. We hit about 96Mbps real traffic with or without NAT through any of those POPs as well.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

1 recommendation

wirelessdog to givemesam

to givemesam
Glad you do. My point was Mikrotik's support is dismal regardless of paying a consultant or not. My Cisco router has been chugging along without issue. Nothing changed on the network except for the router.

After 10 years I've just outgrown Mikrotik. I don't have time to argue who or what was wrong. Butch Evans won't answer emails. Dennis Burgess won't guarantee his work. I've just lost patience for childish bullshit in my old age.
givemesam
join:2011-05-03
Seattle, WA

givemesam to Semaphore

to Semaphore
I am pretty sure the Mac address is grabbed in the browser session and the streams are tunneled to that browser/device session.
givemesam

givemesam to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
This is important to hear.

What exact hardware did you replace your 1100 with? Cost?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Im an x86 guy for powerful routers.
Porch
join:2005-06-19

Porch to givemesam

to givemesam
Cisco/Mikrotik all have their place and I have all of them working out in the field. However, my big systems are x86. An old PIII box filled with NICs and running Slackware as the main firewall at one school. We have about 60 desktop computers, 40+ network devices, along with over 100 wireless users going though it in any given day. It's been running flawless for the last 10 years. Even my Cisco gear needs a reboot more often.

Well, we did have that lighting strike that made it through the UPS and fried the motherboard on it. But I had an extra computer in the shed I swapped the nics and HDD into and it was back into operation. Still a PIII.

wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to givemesam

to givemesam
said by givemesam:

What exact hardware did you replace your 1100 with? Cost?

»www.balticnetworks.com/r ··· ion.html
wirelessdog

wirelessdog

Now I'm using a Cisco 3825 with a 2950T switch.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Porch

to Porch
said by Porch:

An old PIII box filled with NICs and running Slackware as the main firewall at one school. We have about 60 desktop computers, 40+ network devices, along with over 100 wireless users going though it in any given day. It's been running flawless for the last 10 years. Even my Cisco gear needs a reboot more often.

I have an old P3 866 running pfsense. I took it down because a dsl and cable provider both came into the town and there was just no market share left.... but I use that same setup in multiple locations on some older dell gx110 hardware. I had one with 478 days of uptime. The only restarts they need are for software.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to voxframe

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

What are these magic AP devices? I've NEVER seen one that can reliably do its own user QoS (To any acceptable level of control) asides from serious enterprise gear.

$2,600 Xirrus 2520 will handle that.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to givemesam

to givemesam
Asides from serious gear.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

put too much load on the box and you lock yourself out

Or worse still, it ends up being so busy forwarding traffic that it cant maintain its routing protocols and your network just flops, traffic dies off, it finally has some juice to power routing protocols again, traffic comes back, lather rinse repeat.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by TomS_:

Or worse still, it ends up being so busy forwarding traffic that it cant maintain its routing protocols and your network just flops, traffic dies off, it finally has some juice to power routing protocols again, traffic comes back, lather rinse repeat.

true.
i was thinking of nat hammering a local box or so. wasn't even thinking about the flap-tastic nature of shared fate control- and data-plane.

q.
j2sw
join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN

j2sw to givemesam

to givemesam
I second what LLigetfa says. If this is a Mikrotik router hit me up for some code for 1:many nat. This way you can at least do a single ip per subnet, per tower, or whatever makes the most sense.