spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mattlwil
join:2004-04-13
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

[Connectivity] Modem rebooting a lot lately:

My Zoom Modem has been rebooting a lot lately. Mostly at 10AM and 10PM, + or - 2 hours.

I checked the logs a few weeks ago and it was showing a different error. I don't remember the error but I googled it and it was a pesky intermittent signal issue.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Your upstream signals are somewhat high, although it's possible they are occasionally going higher.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

Got a tech stopping by tomorrow. Keep you posted, thanks!

I think they ran a new line from the tap two years ago when I moved in.
mattlwil

mattlwil

Got home from work at 7:30am. Checked signals, upstream was at 47. Checked a few minutes later, saw 54.5. Modem fell offline at 9, still offline at 10. Went to sleep. Had appt between 8-12, CC shows up at 1:30 unnanounced. No big deal, he said tech scheduled to come out earlier had an accident. Modem was still infinitely rebooting. He hooked his meter up and said everything was fine, 0 down 45 up. I started looking for my spare SB 6120. He went to the truck to get a spare modem. Came back in and said he talked to someone on the phone and there is an server problem that they know about since 9am and left.

He sat outside in his bucket truck for 30 mins. Modem came back online. I did mention the signal spike while he was here.

Going back to sleep, I'll post signals later...

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to mattlwil

to mattlwil
where in Memphis is this?
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

38117, Perkins, North of 240
mattlwil

mattlwil

After tech visit. Modem up time is 19 hours which is when the tech left. Do the quick reboots reset the up time? I've never paid attention to that.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
possibly. So is 19 hours beyond what you have seen before?

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to mattlwil

MVM

to mattlwil
Unlike the Motorola's, the Zoom's resync does NOT cause a reboot, nor does it clear the error counts.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah to mattlwil

to mattlwil
My zoom 5341j just rebooted two or so days ago. They swapped the modem's ip to an ipv6 address and the old ipv4 address is not pingable.

Could be that they are testing stuff at your region.
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil to BimmerE38FN

to BimmerE38FN
Ive never paid attention to the uptime before. I will have a lot of time this weekend to monitor things. The modem just rebooted again and the uptime was not affected. I'm wondering if when it says 're initializing MAC' if its rebooting everytime then.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Ya thats a critical message so something maybe still going on with the ISP...

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to mattlwil

MVM

to mattlwil
Again, unlike Motorola, when there is an issue it just does a resync, not a full reboot. The errors and runtime don't reset.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Well since he only the one modem, we can only presume this issue is either with the ISP service or the modem. Only one other way to test this out is to test the modem at a different location as a test to see if the modem does the same thing. If the problem follows, then you'll know. If it does, then the problem is with the ISP service. Modems are only as good as the ISP service and modems are dependent upon having good ISP services. "Garbage IN, Garbage OUT!"
BimmerE38FN

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Were you able to install the SB 6120 modem and test it out?
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

Haven't tried the 6120 yet. The fact that I was able to capture this (see image) makes me think its unlikely the modem. I grabbed these signal levels the morning of the service call about :45 mins before it fell offline and remained offline for several hours.

The modem has rebooted about a dozen times over the weekend.

Since it might help CC in trouble shooting on down the road, I might put my 6120 back on the account for a week or so.

But from what Ive read before, CC is unlikely to do anything about it until the amp takes a dump and causes an outage.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
I'd start checking to see who around you has this same problem and maybe start getting everyone together and complain...take it up the river as far as possible. Very unexceptionable service. Hope they will do something.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to mattlwil

Premium Member

to mattlwil
Your upstream power level is on the high side and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. For starters, are there any excess / unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated ?
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

1 edit

mattlwil

Just one splitter behind the TV, one side not being used but it has cable on it going to nothing. Its -3.5. I don't need any splitters really.

My upstream power was 54.0 and 46.5 a few minutes ago.

Sounds like I need to get them out here again to bump the US power down some?

Edit: I found an old splitter in the attic with the same values. I'll try that. I also found another in the closet from radio shack I bought 2 years ago. US power is showing 46.0 now.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Are these splitters placed before the ISP modem?
Try testing with out the splitters online and see what happens...
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

Yes, Runs straight off the pole into the attic. All the way to the other corner of the house and down to one splitter behind the TV. The modem connects after that splitter on the -3.5. There are a couple breaks in the cable with straight connectors but only one splitter.
mattlwil

mattlwil

I can log in to the modem as soon as I get booted out of a lobby on XBL and see a spike in the power. Just now when I got booted I logged in and saw 54x2 on the US power...

Thanks for everyones help

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Ya, I'd the a tech out and have him review the situation.

Let us know how it goes...Good Luck.
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

Sort of related. Does anyone know of anyone being able to get out of a business contract because of ongoing 'service interruptions'? Or would that be covered in the contract clause 6-6.5 Disruption of service. Not responsible for 'fail safe performance'.

Thanks
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by mattlwil:

Sort of related. Does anyone know of anyone being able to get out of a business contract because of ongoing 'service interruptions'? Or would that be covered in the contract clause 6-6.5 Disruption of service. Not responsible for 'fail safe performance'.

Thanks

how much more months do you have left on your contract?
mattlwil
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

24 months remaining.

Tech came by again yesterday. Removed the only splitter on the line. Checked the connections on the pole, which a few were loose. Hooked the meter up and all is well. I didn't get home till 10 this morning but I have a 3 day weekend and plenty of time to monitor this weekend.

Hopefully the US power is low enough now to keep the modem from kicking offline when it spikes. The splitter I tried was a no fix.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mattlwil

to mattlwil
Hope it keeps working this time...Just seems like a signal issue here...